Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Discount on previous year NEW models? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1270932-discount-on-previous-year-new-models.html)

johndekorte 02-12-2019 12:41 PM

Discount on previous year NEW models?

Guys,
Am going to get a new Heritage Softail Classic 107 next month and Riverside Harley has 9 in stock, 6 of them are 2018's.
Does anyone have any specific examples of discounts when they bought a previous model year new?

Thanks,
John

kngpn 02-12-2019 02:06 PM

I'd want at least the depreciated value under MSRP despite them saying it's still new. As soon as you drive it off the lot, it's a 2018, not 2019. It's going to vary dealer to dealer who will negotiate. Hopefully someone with experience from that dealer will chime in.

johndekorte 02-12-2019 02:52 PM

Thanks!

MiniWolf 02-12-2019 03:11 PM

There really are no givens or special advice when it comes to landing the best deal. The only sound advice is don't limit yourself to a single dealer when shopping. Just because you see lots of 2018 bikes on a specific dealers floor doesn't mean they will readily give you a great deal. It doesn't mean they won't either. How much of a deal you can get depends entirely on lots of factors related to the current supply/demand cycle at a specific dealer and what their books and financials look like at a given point in time--all of which they are not going to share with the buyers. At this time, dealers are moving bikes around a lot, swapping with other dealers, holding bikes for buyers who may want a specific model/paint scheme etc(why prior year models suddenly appear on the floor this time of year)..Just because you see lots of inventory doesn't mean stuff isn't happening behind the scenes you aren't aware of.

You can offer whatever you think is fair. Just understand the answer may be no. You can then either negotiate from there or find another dealer until you land the deal you are looking for. That's about all the practical advice anyone can give without knowing all the other stuff mentioned.

triumph900 02-12-2019 03:20 PM

I’d start with at least 20% off MSRP

Dynamick 02-12-2019 03:33 PM

$5k off my '18 Street Glide purchased new last Oct. Plus first service and new grips installed free.

shorelasHD 02-12-2019 03:36 PM

Tagging this thread-thinking about trading in my Heritage for a brand new 2018 leftover FLHR and working on some numbers prior to visiting the dealer and dickering...:icon_nic:

purpledeuce 02-12-2019 05:16 PM

I think I know why that dealer has so many leftover 18’s on the floor

JB Johnson 02-12-2019 08:52 PM

This time of year in Ohio the dealer could care less about selling anything. The one nearest me will have one guy on the floor and he will be sipping coffee and playing on the computer. Eventually the right fish will come along this spring and pay sticker for that 2018.

TriGeezer 02-12-2019 09:15 PM

Figure a starting point is what a dealer price would be for a low mileage used one of the same year. I think I did well when I got a ‘17 leftover EG Ultra Limited this past September ‘18. It was exactly the color i wanted. I got it for $22.9K plus tax, and registration. I put down $5K, temporarily on a credit card, and got a 1.99% loan through Hd. I got it from the HD dealer in San Marcos, Ca.