General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let’s talk about the New LFP battery that Harley is selling

Old 02-14-2019, 04:16 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,828 Likes on 1,209 Posts

I put one in my 2013 Night Rod Special, never any problems just saved a bunch of weight. Weight is horsepower.
Shorai

Old 02-14-2019, 05:56 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,341 Likes on 1,151 Posts
Default The new lithium iron battery / liFe battery

Originally Posted by OldMike
I put one in my 2013 Night Rod Special, never any problems just saved a bunch of weight. Weight is horsepower.
Shorai
I liked the video and the spec’s they showed, it does have a high CC output and a high Ah . But it was very expensive ! And you will have to spend another $75 bucks for a Special / new type of charger .
But the light weight of this battery is just unreal in a bad way . I guess time will tell us if it will live up to any long term bragging rights to being any better then the standard lithium ion battery .

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 02-14-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:28 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member

I’m wondering which of the lithium batteries they use in a new LiveWire model.
The lithium ion or the lithium iron phosphate

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 02-14-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:58 PM
RDHIGH
Tourer
Received 136 Likes on 102 Posts

Its gotta be the LiFePo battery. Lithium ion batteries would never be approved for automotive use. You cant even ship them by air- they are too unstable and too easily damaged. Remember the Samsung fires a couple years ago? Lithium ion. Remember years ago when that aircraft nosedived into a florida swamp? Fire onboard from lithium ion batteries as cargo.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:52 PM
Rumblin
Supporter
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I've been using Shorai for a couple years. Sure like the adapter mounting carrier for it that the HD has. Not sold separately. I left the switch on over night a couple months ago. It does require a special charger/tender. Charged up and works like a champ. I don't tend it unless I won't be riding for a couple weeks = not yet.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:34 PM
Desrosiers
Novice
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Just stopped by me local dealer (shout out Thunder Road Harley in Windsor, ON...awesome dealership, mom and pop shop type place) they had one of these on the shelf. It's so light it's crazy, like picking up an empty tupperware container. Yes, it is a 2X the cost of a new AGM battery but if you did any $$ performance upgrades and don't change to this battery it makes no sense. I will be getting one in the spring and can post results during the year.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:10 PM
Indawynd
Elite HDF Member
Received 7,263 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake707
I will say this, I bought that exact battery last summer and it turned my new high compression 131 over no problem. HOWEVER, once it got cold, and I mean cold in CA terms so 40s-50s, the batter wouldn't turn for ****. I had to try and start it about 5 times, each time sounding and acting like a dead batter, before all of a sudden it would just power up like normal. Did some research and found that ion batteries have to "warm up" which is why it was acting the way it was. So those CCA (cold cranking amps) numbers mean more than anything in my opinion. Nobody seems to talk about this as they are still somewhat new to full size applications. I returned it at battery and bulbs for a full refund, about $250, and ordered a Wicked start from Renegade Batteries with 600+ cca. Turns everything over no problem now no matter how cold.

Unless this new Harley battery addresses this I see a lot of pissed off people trying to return their batteries once winter comes again, and we all know Harley isn't the best at returning anything electrical related.
Pissed off people in a Harley service department? I'm sure they will be told to pound sand like most of the others. Just another day.

Last edited by Indawynd; 02-15-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:41 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member

The
Originally Posted by Desrosiers
Just stopped by me local dealer (shout out Thunder Road Harley in Windsor, ON...awesome dealership, mom and pop shop type place) they had one of these on the shelf. It's so light it's crazy, like picking up an empty tupperware container. Yes, it is a 2X the cost of a new AGM battery but if you did any $$ performance upgrades and don't change to this battery it makes no sense. I will be getting one in the spring and can post results during the year.
My bike battery also needs to be replaced this spring because it’s 6 years old and I know it’s weak . And besides buying the advanced battery ,I will also need the new type of charger for it .
So my thinking is I’ll spend $115 on a good Duracell AGM battery at Battery Plus this April. And by the time it’s done in 5 or 6 years maybe the price of these NEW lithium iron phosphate batteries will drop in price by a good $75 or $100 bucks .

And by then there will be more aftermarket manufacturers make them and many more reviews on this new type of battery .
Also the crazy lightness of it just makes no sense. So that alone is stopping me from liking it !

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 02-15-2019 at 03:46 PM. Reason: speling
Old 02-15-2019, 04:32 PM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse

Also the crazy lightness of it just makes no sense. So that alone is stopping me from liking it !
That makes no sense. Less weight is better.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:45 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,779 Likes on 17,441 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse

I was reading some where today that when starting a cold bike with a lithium IRON phosphate battery . You should always turn on the key or starter switch for a good minute or two , to wake up / warm up the battery .
Yup leave the lights on for 60-90 seconds to wake them up, I run the Antigravity 600cca. Lith ion, only thing that will turn over the shovel with no compression releases.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Let’s talk about the New LFP battery that Harley is selling