General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Health Issues are a PITA

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 11:28 AM
Marks57
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Health Issues are a PITA

I'm torn, but considering selling my 2018 RG. I am in Stage 4 kidney failure and have about a year before I'm going to need a transplant or dialysis and don't know what my health condition will be like in a year.

Here's my dilemma. Due to last years health issues, weather, prostate surgery and work schedule, I have only put 800 miles on this bike since I bought it new in July 2018. I am really looking forward to riding this year, but am trying to decide if I should sell it now since it's basically brand new. I've have put Stage 1, Custom Dynamics LED's, rear bag guards, Twin Peaks 13" bars, Corbin Seat and a few other cosmetic items. I know I will never recover what I've put into it, but these add on's should add a little extra $$.

I got an offer from Ride On for $15,500 (that ain't happening). Kelly Blue Book says $16,650 trade in and $20,490 typical listing price. I'm not sure if the typical listing price is referring to the original new list price or an average of pre-owned "for sale" listing values? Money isn't really the issue, it's about whether to lose money now or lose more later.

Any thoughts on if I should sell it now or ride it like I stole it until I can't anymore? Thanks

Old 02-23-2019, 11:46 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

do you still enjoy riding? if yes, then ride it like ya stole it and then worry about selling it later. since money isn't an issue, i'd keep it until you can't ride anymore. can't put a price tag on your happiness.

good luck. i had to deal with my dad doing dialysis. it kinda sucks, but it isn't the end of the world. he loved to travel, and continued to do so. he just had to make 'reservations' at dialysis clinics along the route. made it take a little longer to get to the destination, but he wasn't gonna let something like that hold him down.

The following users liked this post:
chamokie (02-24-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 12:01 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,325 Likes on 10,701 Posts

M-57,

Sry abt the health issues mate. REALLY sucks as you know.

Unless I missed something in the read, and in particular when you mentioned it is not a $ thing, I would say toss out thinking abt the $$$ at all. Totally forget the financial side.

Listening only to your gut, your "feelings", what does that say? <-- That is what I would do and go with.

And if I might add, after reading this, go for a freaking RIDE and enjoy the love of riding!!!

mctraveler (03-03-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 12:59 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,626 Likes on 3,211 Posts

If you can afford to financially, keep it until you can't ride anymore. For me, riding is great therapy and it probably is for you too. There will be times in the coming months when you need a boost and a good ride can give you that. Good luck.

Old 02-23-2019, 01:06 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 703 Likes on 336 Posts

I got a new heart a year and a half ago. In recovery the thought of riding again kept me sane. Now I ride and am happy, not looking for a new bike. Actually bought more items for the bike and hopped up the motor. Selling always means a loss financially .if you don't NEED the money, why sell?

Vernal (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 01:29 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,121 Likes on 1,621 Posts

My mom used to be a Kidney Dialysis nurse for the VA. Most of her patients had very normal lives, they just needed to be hooked up to a machine for a few hours 3 times a week.

That KBB listing price is at a dealer, realistic person to person sale is more like 18K or 19k. Your bike isn't basically brand new, it is used, the 2019's are out now. The extras you added to it are only worth money if the buyer wants those extras on the bike. For me Apes hurt my shoulder, so I would only consider buying your bike if the price was low enough to justify replacing them.

If you sell the bike at a loss now, and your health is not that bad, like most of my moms patients, then you will want another bike and will have to start over buying the bike and making it like you want.

You aren't going to lose that much more money if you keep the bike another year. If you are able to ride now you will get another year's enjoyment out of it. I think your health won't be that bad and you will continue to enjoy to ride. So I say keep the bike.

Old 02-23-2019, 01:39 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,473 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Keep the sled. You'll always know you have it, and that will be a nice feeling.

Old 02-23-2019, 02:01 PM
M8USA
Road Master
Received 441 Likes on 233 Posts

I am 72 and always had a bike in the garage. Even when I quit riding for quite awhile i couldn't sell, it was part of my life.
Well I finally made the (bad) decision and sold it about a year ago. There was something missing in my life and finally bought a Harley at age 71 and enjoy riding more then ever.
Don't give up on yourself or your bike. Best wishes.

Old 02-23-2019, 02:21 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,942 Likes on 2,164 Posts

If loss of value isn't an issue, keep it. Simple.

Old 02-23-2019, 02:27 PM
kap1
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

I hope things work out well for you. I never did actual dialysis but took care of many people with various stages of renal disease from long term care, ICU, to OR including transplants and the wide range of means of access for dialysis. Each individual responds differently. Some do much better than others, but it is a tough disease to have without any doubt, in my opinion. If it was me and I could handle it financially, I would ride the heck out of it if that is what I wanted to do and take it as it comes; but that is me. I am confident that you will figure it out--what's best for you and your family, too. Sincere, best wishes.

Quick Reply: Health Issues are a PITA