General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DEmO BIKE BUYERS BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 02:03 PM
wheelock4
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default DEmO BIKE BUYERS BEWARE

Last year I bought a 2017 rk with se stage 3 upgrade. after purchase I tried to get info on upgrade- who did it where and when. Dealer told me they get no info when they get bike from Harley. Called hd in Milwaukee and they said it was done there but could provide no paperwork. bought esp and now they want documentation on upgrade that it was done by Harley and all se parts or it may not be covered. hd was all to happy to sell me the esp but now I may not be covered. called hd in Milwaukee 7 times and its oh well that's the way it is. Antone else having this agony?

Old 02-25-2019, 02:30 PM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 495 Likes on 259 Posts

Tell the dealer you want a full refund on the ESP unless they get the necessary information on the upgrades. You, the customer, should not have to work so hard to spend money.

The following 3 users liked this post by dceggert:
Bama Lee (02-25-2019), cacomly (02-26-2019), crazytown (02-26-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 03:16 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Did the dealer who sold you the bike also sell you the ESP at the same time?

What happened that you are looking for this documentation now? Did the ESP company contact you and demand it? Was this triggered because you are putting in an ESP claim?

Old 02-25-2019, 03:18 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

How can they treat you like that? I would be livid!!!

Old 02-25-2019, 03:56 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Yeah..................what is wrong with the bike that you had to put in a claim on the ESP?

Old 02-25-2019, 04:01 PM
wheelock4
Tourer

first time I bought a bike without esp being offered. started having symptoms of ongoing problems so purchased esp at different dealer. they said all was fine but esp had a different story of how things work. no problems yet but don't want to get in the middle of nowhere and be told its not covered. each dealer has their own interpretation of how they think esp works. . esp even told me if motor goes it will be rebuilt as 107 not a 114.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:03 PM
wheelock4
Tourer

not looking for documentation now. have been searching since I bought the bike in June of 18. haven't put in claim but don't want big suprisw if I ever have to

Old 02-25-2019, 04:17 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by annibel
not looking for documentation now. have been searching since I bought the bike in June of 18. haven't put in claim but don't want big suprisw if I ever have to
This feels like you're looking for a problem you may not have.

If you bought the bike from an HD dealer, and at the time of the sale, they sold you the ESP on that bike, then they are on the hook.

If somehow it comes to pass that you have a problem with the bike and put in an ESP claim, and the ESP company denies the claim because of something that a reasonable person (ie, the dealer) should have known about at the time of the sale, you have a clear cause of action against the dealer. Depending on the particulars of Wisconsin law (with which I am not familiar), the ESP company is probably on the hook anyway, since the dealer was acting as their agent.

As a consumer, when they sold you that bike and simultaneously sold you an ESP on that bike, you have an obvious and reasonable expectation that the ESP actually covered the bike as it existed at the time.

Unless there is more to the story, I don't see how you have anything to worry about. I don't see any way you are responsible to document the prior history of the bike at this point.

Oops, missed this:

Originally Posted by annibel
first time I bought a bike without esp being offered. started having symptoms of ongoing problems so purchased esp at different dealer. they said all was fine but esp had a different story of how things work. no problems yet but don't want to get in the middle of nowhere and be told its not covered. each dealer has their own interpretation of how they think esp works. . esp even told me if motor goes it will be rebuilt as 107 not a 114.
What matters here is what did you say/disclose to the second dealer? Did you take the bike to them for an inspection? What does the ESP contract say in terms of the description of the bike? Is that description accurate?

​​​​​​​When you say "ESP had a different story", what does that mean? Did you send an inquiry to the ESP company?

Last edited by 0maha; 02-25-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:18 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,721 Likes on 6,885 Posts

Any pictures of this bike?

What dealerships are you dealing with?

Old 02-25-2019, 04:32 PM
wheelock4
Tourer

talked to 5 different dealers. dealer I bought esp from knew everything about bike including upgrade. I told them upgrade was done at hd plant in Milwaukee but no paperwork with it. she called someone and said everything was fine. according to esp if motor has problem and they send rep to dealer to look at it it can be denied if I cant prove it was done by Harley. as I stated I have called hd in Milwaukee 6 or 7 times with same results :it should be ok".

Quick Reply: DEmO BIKE BUYERS BEWARE