General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discount ESP Bad Experience.. advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 10:22 PM
jlopez731
Novice
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Discount ESP Bad Experience.. advice?

Hello all. I have a 2016 Dyna Low Rider S. I would like to share my experience with Discount ESP and perhaps seek another perspective or point of view on this experience. I was denied my claim and not sure where to take it from here..

Before discount esp, I initially had two years harley factory warranty and when it was close to expiration I consulted a harley dealership about extended warranty and it was too expensive. Had to go into a finance office, run numbers, percentages, interest... it was weird and expensive to say the least.

So I went online, discovered & bought Discount ESP.

I purchased 2 years extended warranty with tire and wheel because it was cheaper and looked like it had good reviews.

A few months in.. it wasn’t a scam! I had to use my tire and wheel because of a nail in my front tire so this was the first time dealing with them. All good, though a slight issue with dealership receiving payment from them but other than that.. satisfied.

Now fast forward.. here’s what happened.

I was with a buddy, he was on his motorcycle, I was on mine, we were riding to work in the morning and when we arrived, my bike was making so much noises from the motor. We were both in disbelief but I was the one who was so sad in that moment. I noticed when I was riding I would twist the throttle and I wouldn’t speed up. The RPM’s would go up but I wouldn’t really pick up speed.

So, I called the number on the back of my card for Discount ESP and had a tow truck come out to my job and pick up my bike while I was at work. It was 100% covered through them which was awesome. I was worried tows were expensive and I would have to pay out of pocket.

Once the bike was in the dealership a claim was made and the bike was inspected. Harley determined it was the clutch that needed to be replaced so they replaced it under warranty. It was given approval from Discount ESP which we were surprised they covered clutch components. Anyway, because of the rain, the technician was unable to ride the bike. Two days later when there was no rain, they started up the bike and heard a lot of noises. Harley asked for my permission to inspect the motor I gave them the O.K.

They found out that the lifter/tappet broke off and eventually got clogged in the oil pump and caused that to fail. The cams were worn and the camplates needed to be replaced as well.

Discount ESP sent an inspector out the following week and now my claim is denied by Discount ESP for “Abuse”.

I’m so confused. Not sure what to do from here since I just found out a few hours ago but my service advisor is going to call them in the morning to learn why the claim is being denied for “abuse” when the inspector noted that there were “no signs of abuse”.

My dad, service advisor and I suspect they make their money by selling these plans for cheap and denying any chance they can by falsely accusing customers of abuse to get out of warranty work.

What a bummer. I love my bike. I am so sad when I see other people out riding and I’m in my car, commuting to work ):

This sucks.

I should also note, Oil Pumps and lifters are a common problem for the Low Rider S. Screaming Eagle 110 motors in particular.

I love my bike. I bathe her, garage and tender her up every night.

My poor baby. She’s torn apart right now behind the service doors.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:46 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,271 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Sorry to hear that. IMHO, a lifter is not something that should fail due to abuse, unless someone set the rev limiter to 9,000 RPMs. Oh yeah...aren’t lifters a known issue on the 110s?

Old 02-25-2019, 11:03 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Cancel the esp and get a pro rated refund

The following users liked this post:
forest2 (06-06-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 11:07 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Same thing happened to my Fat Boy S, I was just within the factory warranty period so HD replaced the engine. Yes unfortunately common in the S 110ci engines.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:26 AM
Warrant
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 288 Posts

Don't give up on that crap'o'la.....push for an explanation on why you were denied coverage, request a copy of the report.
I would also go to HD to seek goodwill for a known problem on their behalf.
Fight the good fight, be pleasant until all is lost then punch someone in the face.
Good luck

Cheers!

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 02:39 AM
NCBANDIT
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problems. How many miles do you have on it?

Old 02-26-2019, 06:54 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,167 Likes on 5,602 Posts

Find out where their office is and burn it to the ground. You'll still be without your bike but you'll feel so much better knowing you got the last laugh.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bubba Zanetti:
skid_pimp (05-14-2019), Tired (02-27-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 06:56 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Is there any remedy for appeal? If they really won't pay, your options are pretty much limited to canceling the plan and getting whatever refund you have coming.
Or
Figure out a way to appeal the claim denial- does your contract (which hopefully you read prior to purchase) may mention how to appeal a claims denial. Not that they'd change their mind, but may be worth a try.
Perhaps the dealership fixing your bike will help.
Or
Sue the plan. Last resort, and may not even be worth it. If you need a lawyer, it'll cost you plenty. If small claims, you will have to file suit in the area where the plan administration office is, I believe.

But start with reading your contract- especially if you haven't yet done that.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:08 AM
leftyjm
Road Warrior

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

If I were you I would give Jim Palmer a call. He is the main guy at Discount ESP in getting stuff covered.
You can reach him at Boardtracker HD @ 608-757-0880. He should be able to get you some satisfaction.
Keep us posted but make sure you get a hold of him.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:36 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,899 Likes on 17,470 Posts

I'm curious what signs or indications on the bike itself would lead to the abuse claim, something twigged somewhere. I'd want a detailed report on what exactly caused the claim to be denied and you are entitled to it, they won't cough up now you have something to work with.

Quick Reply: Discount ESP Bad Experience.. advice?