General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hauling a Harley in a van

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 04:15 AM
662894v
Tourer
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Hauling a Harley in a van

I recently bought an 2000 E 350 extended van. My intention is to mainly use it to haul my Trials bikes once or twice a month. These bikes weigh around 180 pounds. I’ve hauled them in a Dodge Grand Caravan regularly. I use Harbor Freight cam buckle straps and soft straps on the bars. But now that I’ve got a van big enough to haul a Harley, I’m interested in getting it set up to haul the Harleys a couple of times a year. A Sportster and a Dyna is what I’ll be hauling. I plan on running one of the rear seats if I have room. It is not a necessity. This is going to be strictly a MotoVan with an occasional run to the hardware store for large items. I plan on leaving a small 3 draw toolbox and fuel jug in there at all times.

I’m looking for setup ideas that have worked well for others. Wheel chocks, possibly removable. Flooring ideas, it currently has carpet. I’m obviously going to need a heavier ramp than my current 2x6.

From what I’ve seen, MotoVans are mostly used for dirt bikes. I’d like to see and hear what the Harley guys are doing.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:38 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,139 Likes on 6,210 Posts

It will carry it just fine in terms of weight and probably size. Obviously remove windshield if there is any. If you have apes or any type of y'all handlebars, you are going to need to roll them back so they aren't as tall.

I think you could kill yourself getting it in or out of the van.

I googled some pictures of loading a Harley into a van and my nuts got sucked up so much they feel like they are in the back of my throat. And that was just still pictures. Videos are probably nightmarish.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:51 AM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

I've never hauled 2 harleys in a van but I used to haul a shovelhead in my 75 ford conversion van. I worked on the road and lived out of the van part-time. Used to drop the ape hangers down and roll it up a 2"x12" into the back. I'd probably never seen a wheel chock back then, used to strap it to some mounting points I installed.Worked well for what I needed.

I still have that old van stored at my folks place, new tires, oil change, and a fresh tank of gas and it would be ready to roll. 351w and a 3 on the tree, 2 sunroofs, bubble windows, deep **** floor and walls. Those were the days.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:06 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,727 Likes on 2,469 Posts

My biggest concern would be the bikes turning me in to a pile of ground meat in an accident. A steel barrier between the cab and the cargo area unless its a one time thing is how I would do it.

I knew a young girl that had an antique typewriter in the car with her, of course as luck would have it the typewriter clocked her in the head in an accident and she was done.

Last edited by hellonewman; 03-08-2019 at 06:08 AM.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:23 AM
m1369x
Road Warrior
Received 675 Likes on 381 Posts

Same here , (been a van Man for decades) . My present is a 2016 express 2500 , Ramp is a 3 peace '9x''40 Black Widow . **** is a Condor , straps are big box ,
I set the **** (lose + off set to the left) , put ramp together , pull mirrors + windshield (quick detach) , drive it in strap it down , throw ramps in and go . Off load is opposite except I've got to put the front wheels of the van on a curb or some thing to help pull off the condor & out of the van , All one person , 15 minuets , easy in easy out one person operation , (I'm.62 small frame and mentally disabled) I also carry a 32 quart ARB fridge , On several occasions I've pulled over loosened left straps removed right straps and slept beside Suzie ,
Not being healthy enough to put in 2 or 3 hard days at a time this works great for me

Old 03-08-2019, 06:43 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

It depends on what your bike & your health is worth to you.... and your age will play into it (sooner or latter).

Getting a hernia or herniated something else because the load or unload went side ways (even a well planned one) SUCKS!!!

I think something on the lines of "Rampage power Lift" is the best (safest) way to go, period (if you are using a pickup or van).
If the price is an issue make your own, it does not have to be as fancy.
You can use a com-along instead of an electric winch (or buy a cheep winch).
If built correctly it would be universal and work for your dirt bikes also.

Last edited by GRWHD; 03-08-2019 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:47 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,896 Likes on 2,552 Posts

I have been thinking about going to a van from a pickup truck for moving bikes. Having the bike indoors would be a bonus for security and keeping the bike clean. My biggest concern is the height of the door, I think that would limit which of my bikes could get in the van. Pretty sure even with removing the windshield, I am not getting a Road Glide in a van, unless I go to one of those Sprinter vans with the tall doors. Any of you have some pics of the bike you made fit in a van? My father-in-law hauled a Softail Custom around in a van for years, but he had short drag bars and no mirrors so it fit no issues. But it always seemed real close to me.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:26 AM
m1369x
Road Warrior
Received 675 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
I have been thinking about going to a van from a pickup truck for moving bikes. Having the bike indoors would be a bonus for security and keeping the bike clean. My biggest concern is the height of the door, I think that would limit which of my bikes could get in the van. Pretty sure even with removing the windshield, I am not getting a Road Glide in a van, unless I go to one of those Sprinter vans with the tall doors. Any of you have some pics of the bike you made fit in a van? My father-in-law hauled a Softail Custom around in a van for years, but he had short drag bars and no mirrors so it fit no issues. But it always seemed real close to me.
No pictures for (till thing warm up a lot) but mine's an '02 FXSTI stock front end risers and bars , I can just barely get it in the center of the door (past the door jamb) with the mirrors on if I put all my weight on the front end but still have to remove them to get it out , Like I said before , Pull the wind shied & mirrors and drive it in , The ramp is the key the Black Widow (less than $500,oo) is safe easy to handle and vary convenient

Old 03-08-2019, 01:19 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,896 Likes on 2,552 Posts

Originally Posted by m1369x
No pictures for (till thing warm up a lot) but mine's an '02 FXSTI stock front end risers and bars , I can just barely get it in the center of the door (past the door jamb) with the mirrors on if I put all my weight on the front end but still have to remove them to get it out , Like I said before , Pull the wind shied & mirrors and drive it in , The ramp is the key the Black Widow (less than $500,oo) is safe easy to handle and vary convenient
I agree completely with the Black Widow ramp. That is my current setup with a Condor in a pickup truck. I just ride the bike up the ramp, but head room is not an issue with a pickup, Weather is an issue!?!??!

Old 03-08-2019, 02:20 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Few years ago, driving back from Wyoming, I saw a guy at a rest stop who had some old shovelhead stuffed (along with apparently everything else he owned) into the back of an old Dodge minivan.

Quick Reply: Hauling a Harley in a van