General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever had parts stolen off your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 01:28 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

I've lost four helmets in my life by leaving them on the bike and an old pair boots i left hanging on the bike. I know many people who have lost jackets, gloves and one friend that had a frozen turkey tied to his sissy bar. After the meat shoot some ******* swiped it when we were not looking. I tend to not leave anything laying on the bike now days except maybe my helmet, but i'm never far away from it.

I HATE F--KING THIEVES !

Old 03-09-2019, 01:32 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,003 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Somebody stole a custom made cap off my my oil tank once. That pissed me off a little.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:50 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,899 Likes on 17,470 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Somebody stole a custom made cap off my my oil tank once. That pissed me off a little.
Caught a guy trying to take my points cover once, and no it didn't end well for him.

The following users liked this post:
PhillySoldier (03-11-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 02:28 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,331 Likes on 10,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse
That reminded me of a helmet being stolen off my bike way back in the 80s I went into a bar ,came out And it was gone .
You know my friend, "that's on them". And I mean that literally and figuratively. (Really figuratively.)

It's like that other thread about karma.

BuzzCap7

Old 03-09-2019, 05:25 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,003 Likes on 2,817 Posts

I figure this will count. I caught a guy unstrapping my leather jacket from my sissy bar right on Main St. during BikeWeek one year. That didn't end up like he planned.

PhillySoldier (03-11-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 05:52 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,383 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Parked at the community college, many years ago. Someone unscrewed my "Baja Specialties" oil dip stick with integrated thermometer off of my thumper. Boy, I was P/O'd. Had to ride home with a open hole in my engine. (Only 5 miles, but still.)

About 18 years ago, I had my Dyna parked in a seedy apartment complex in Poway. (Hey, she was alright.) Anyway, I return to my Dyna, and the neighbor kid is wearing my helmet on his skateboard! He took it off and ran away. I had to check to see what else the little ***** did, but found nothing else missing.
Lost some armored gloves but that may have been lost from the gusty winds that day. Never did find 'em. Teach me to bring in my gloves when I stop at a restaurant.

Now, vandalized is a different thread...

Old 03-09-2019, 05:58 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,581 Likes on 5,161 Posts

Lot of years and many miles. Spent a lot of time in Places like Chicago at motels. And many bike events. Never anything touched on the bike. Some years back at a higher end motel in Chicago I had an HD rain Suit taken from the room. It was well used and at the point of replacement hope they got wet.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:00 PM
otto.maddox
Cruiser
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Does a helmet count?

I've ridden from California to South Dakota.. Laughlin.. Oregon.. always left my helmet on my seat with no lock.

First day back to work from Sturgis one year and some scumbag steals my helmet. Even with security onsite and cameras.. no one saw anything.

I now lock my helmet which is such a pain in the ***.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:02 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,703 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Only once. I was parked at the mall and somebody went through my saddlebags and swiped my dollar store sunglasses. They totally ignored a bunch of more expensive stuff. Why?

Old 03-09-2019, 06:35 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,483 Likes on 1,600 Posts

This month starts my 50th year of owning and riding motorcycles.

I had a helmet stolen (not off of he bike) in a location where I was working an overnight security position (by someone I had to know) in 1974.
I've had 2 motorcycles stolen (both when I lived in the city of Detroit

The only TWO items that I have ever lost off of a motorcycle was a cheap, heavy fabric jacket (I think it just fell off) and one of those H-D "oil pouches with a water bottle" gizmos that mounts to the saddlebag guard.
To be honest, I don't I could not say if it was stolen or just fell off.
It was new, and it was the first time that I had used it and it replaced a similar pouch (oil pouch) that I had used for several years without incident.
The wife and I had rode about 400 miles that day (solo on two bikes) and I didn't notice the pouch was missing until the following morning when we came down from our motel room.

If you have detachable accessories it might be a good idea to "mark" them as yours and to store them in your motel room (especially overnight) and also if you happen to be in an area or an event with a lot of other motorcycles.

Steve Sportster (03-09-2019)

Quick Reply: Ever had parts stolen off your bike?