General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price check: 1981 FXB Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 02:57 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

@riggpigg can I ask a question? Do you own the shop with all the bikes or are you an employee / mechanic / general manager of the shop?
(Not trying to start any ****) I'm curious if you own all those bikes or they are customers bikes that you work on or see above question. Thanks

Old 03-19-2019, 03:05 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

BTW, the shovel in my avatar was built from scratch (by me) some 27 years ago. It was one of those bikes that I put way too much money into and lost my *** (so I thought) until one day a guy walks up and asks if I'd consider selling the bike and I told him "you don't have enough money in the bank to buy that bike" He pulled out $20k and three hours later it left in trailer. Not a Kuryakyn part on that bike, everything was custom made and built by me with nothing more than a manual, tig welder and pictures from Easy Rider to go by.

I wish I would have never sold her.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:21 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Originally Posted by MT-81FXB
Greetings folks. I'm a newbie seeking some assistance regarding pricing/selling my late brother's 1981 Sturgis. I'm not very familiar with the HD market so I thought it best to query you experts.

Here is a little history on the bike. My brother bought it new in 1981 and he owned until he passed away in 2005. I've owned it since then and have ridden it about 1,000 miles. He was a Harley mechanic and he completely disassembled the bike in 1995 or 1996. He shipped the engine off to a place in Texas and had it ported, along with Andrews super close ratio gears installed. I found a "For Sale" flyer he had made while taking care of his estate, in which he noted those two specifications. From 1996 until his death in 2005, the disassembled bike sat in the living room of his house, with the Texas returned engine living under his glass coffee table. I have pictures of the disassembled bike sitting in his house. Peculiar to me but he always liked talking about that bike. I guess it's hard not to when it's sitting in the living room.

I know very little about working on HD engines so I wasn't about to try to put that bike back together. When my brother passed, I paid a friend of his (also a HD mechanic) to reassemble the bike using new gaskets, etc. I have a HD shop near me check it over each year. The thing runs great and I haven't had any trouble with it. I put new tires on it three years ago. It's pretty stock, except for the S&S carb (I do have the original carb and cover). The seat is original and doesn't have any holes or tears. For some reason he had an extra set of the Sturgis rims and that would come with the bike, along with the original pipes. There is also a NOS belt and belt cover that would be included. I'm sure I'm forgetting some things.

The speedo reads 41k but I'm not sure that's even correct. He had a lot of extra parts and there were two speedometers in the boxes. The other speedo read 20k but his friend put the higher mileage one on it. My brother had it apart for so many years, I'm not sure he could have ridden 40k with it. He was always annoyed that AMF took over HD which would explain the tank stickers having no mention of the company. He repainted the bike in the late 80's and that's when he would have deviated from the correct tank markings.

I just don't ride it enough to justify keeping it so I was hoping you all could help me with a ballpark range of where it might price out. Here are the NADA values listed for it:

Excellent $15,650
Very Good $10,845
Good $8,390
Fair $6,810
Poor $5,565

I welcome any input on the bike, as I'll be putting it up for sale soon. I'm sure pricing varies regionally, so note that I'm in Montana. I've included a couple of pics that I took the other day. Thanks for your help!

Brent

P.S. That's not oil from the bike in the pics. I just moved it to that location to take them. I'd say that it leaks about 2 tablespoons of oil over the year -- less when it gets ridden.

I would suggest keeping it and riding it whenever. However if you do get ready to sell (yes as hard as it is to accept the lower prices you've seen here are real) send me a PM. What shape are the original pipes in?

Last edited by TSheff; 03-19-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:53 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
The CLs were sweet bikes. They shared a motor with the CB I believe (but not CA). That orange color is rare. i've never seen one in person. Usually silver.

Yes that is it.

Originally Posted by nevada72
I had a 74 CL360 just about that color. Two actually -

Even this would be sweet to own.

Originally Posted by TSheff
Not ONE YEAR. 1980 first year 80" Dual Belt, they made 1640 of them.

I would love to have the seat - bar - backrest & tool bag.
Oh heck yes...

Last edited by panz4ever; 03-19-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:54 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,783 Likes on 18,559 Posts

Have things calmed down in here? :>)

Old 03-19-2019, 05:03 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry

C'mon in Larry. The coast is clear. We're all posting up picks of our vintage rides and shooting the **** like old friends. Someone needs to bring beer.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 05:38 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

RE: bike colors and Hondas. Didn't the 1970 750 models have that tangerine orange color as one of the options?

Old 03-19-2019, 05:55 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
RE: bike colors and Hondas. Didn't the 1970 750 models have that tangerine orange color as one of the options?
Here's a pretty good color chart for the 750s. Looks like orange was 1st available in 72. I would have guessed 74. I like the gold color on the the early CBs

https://www.motorcycleproject.com/text/lubrtech.html

Old 03-19-2019, 07:50 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry

Yeah. It just ain't the same without Kingglide.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:11 PM
riggpigg
Club Member
Received 263 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
@riggpigg can I ask a question? Do you own the shop with all the bikes or are you an employee / mechanic / general manager of the shop?
(Not trying to start any ****) I'm curious if you own all those bikes or they are customers bikes that you work on or see above question. Thanks
OLD, First question, Yes I own a shop, no Im not an employee, I do mechanic, but not as much as I used to, some of the bikes are customer bikes some are mine. Which bikes are you asking about in particular?? I also own a couple of other businesses. Ask anything.........Im good with it.

Quick Reply: Price check: 1981 FXB Sturgis