General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price check: 1981 FXB Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 01:31 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,188 Likes on 5,615 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
...and in keeping with the Sturgis idea. Managed to make to the 50th

Damn that old rag looks like its got a few miles on it. I bet it could tell some good stories if it could talk...

Old 03-22-2019, 07:29 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,377 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Good for you, I detest low ballers. Spent a couple years hustling bikes & parts at swap meets got so you could see them coming before they ever opened their mouths.
Same here - still do. And still tell them F O.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:55 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Swap meets these days are mostly a joke. People selling off their junk for stupid prices. I'm sure there's some hidden gems hidden in the piles of ****, but the seller is proud of those I'll bet. If I need a set of worn out highway rusty pegs or a dried out takeoff seat from the 80s, they're a great place to go. And even that is hard to find among all the stupid FTW patches and getback whips. If I need something really cool or useful I end up on Ebay, Craigslist or, believe it or not, Facebook. I've scored some great bikes on Facebook. Usually someone looking to get something out of the garage that's been laying against the wall unridden for decades.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:02 AM
riggpigg
Club Member
Received 263 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
...and in keeping with the Sturgis idea. Managed to make to the 50th

I have one of those, I remember the 50th, we ended up in a pasture camping at the Piedmont exit, campgrounds were full, no showers, porta potties and a car wash across the road for showers. Allman Brothers on Thursday night in Rapid, It was the start of the craziness. We got a ladder and stuck it on the pedestal of the sign for a convenience store up the road at Elk creek road and cut this down. Its made of coated paper so its lasted, a lot of the plastic banners I got later on have disintegrated due to age. Its hanging on my door.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:11 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,769 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Swap meets these days are mostly a joke. People selling off their junk for stupid prices...Nevada72

Agreed, although every once in a while, you find the one guy who's given up on recouping crazy profit and just wants to clean out the garage. I found a "still-in-the package" speedo cable for my '67 Sprint that I needed for $1. You have to dig for that stuff.
When I set up at a swap meet, the object is to not haul the crap back home. Some of these guys never learn, and you see the same parts year to year, sitting in the same spot, still priced way too high.

Last edited by RHPAW; 03-22-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:19 AM
nevada72
Banned

Originally Posted by RHPAW
I found a "still-in-the package" speedo cable for my '67 Sprint that I needed for $1.

When I set up at a swap meet, the object is to not haul the crap back home. Some of these guys never learn, and you see the same parts year to year, sitting in the same spot, still priced way too high.

You have a Sprint? Pics!!

Which swap meets do you do? I might check out Chief Blackhawk again. Usually a good turnout.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:19 AM
riggpigg
Club Member
Received 263 Likes on 109 Posts

Agreed, although every once in a while, you find the one guy who's given up on recouping crazy profit and just wants to clean out the garage. I found a "still-in-the package" speedo cable for my '67 Sprint that I needed for $1. You have to dig for that stuff.
30 years ago, I had an old guy that had a crap load of old stuff, Id show up at his place and trade, or buy things I needed. I always asked him to just sell me all of his stuff.....he never responded. One day, I got a little more insistent on buying the whole deal.........he looked up at me and said, "If I sell you all of it, you'd never come see me again" He looked down and turned away. It stunned me, I never tried to buy him out again, but I kept going to see him until he passed. Im not sure, but those guys you refer to may be like my friend, they probably really don't want to sell, they just like having it and the conversation. Just a thought.

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 09:22 AM
nevada72
Banned

Originally Posted by riggpigg
30 years ago, I had an old guy that had a crap load of old stuff, Id show up at his place and trade, or buy things I needed. I always asked him to just sell me all of his stuff.....he never responded. One day, I got a little more insistent on buying the whole deal.........he looked up at me and said, "If I sell you all of it, you'd never come see me again" He looked down and turned away. It stunned me, I never tried to buy him out again, but I kept going to see him until he passed. Im not sure, but those guys you refer to may be like my friend, they probably really don't want to sell, they just like having it and the conversation. Just a thought.
Gun shows are like that. The exact same guys with the exact same stuff for a whole bunch of money. I always thought they were there just because.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:15 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,497 Likes on 786 Posts

Swap meets these days are mostly a joke. People selling off their junk for stupid prices...Nevada72

Originally Posted by nevada72
Swap meets these days are mostly a joke. People selling off their junk for stupid prices. I'm sure there's some hidden gems hidden in the piles of ****, but the seller is proud of those I'll bet. If I need a set of worn out highway rusty pegs or a dried out takeoff seat from the 80s, they're a great place to go. And even that is hard to find among all the stupid FTW patches and getback whips. If I need something really cool or useful I end up on Ebay, Craigslist or, believe it or not, Facebook. I've scored some great bikes on Facebook. Usually someone looking to get something out of the garage that's been laying against the wall unridden for decades.
Agreed, I just enjoy going just to look at old stuff and occasionally find something that just looks neat. HD's version of an antique mall.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:26 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,769 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
You have a Sprint? Pics!!

Which swap meets do you do? I might check out Chief Blackhawk again. Usually a good turnout.
I had two...a '67 and a '76 (that '76 not truly a "Sprint"). I traded the '67 for a big twin hardtail frame and some parts, and sold the '76 for $1000 more than I paid for it to a guy in So. IL. He couldn't get up here fast enough, LOL. I still see the '67 once in a while, the guy is still riding it. Woodstock does a couple decent swap meets a year. Next one is April 28 at the fairgrounds.
The '76...Sorry about the quality
Attachment 618869

Quick Reply: Price check: 1981 FXB Sturgis