General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So much hate.... (FXDR, V-ROD, LiveWire, etc...)

Old 03-19-2019, 08:07 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Oilhed
that reason could easily be attributed to s Road Glide or EG Ultra. More performance for lest cost from a Gold Wing. I think it’s the core belief that any Harley should look and perform like a bike from 20, 40 years ago.
That's half right. They cost every bit as much as a Road Glide or Ultra at $24k base price. And you can spend over $31k on the top of the line model.

But yes, they certainly have more performance than the 2 Harleys. But even that's not a fair comparison. The Goldwing is more of a sport touring bike whereas the Harleys are a heavy touring bike. The latter places the emphasis on leisurely touring, which, for even an aggressive rider is 90% of what we do simply because we have to ride the slab to get to the good stuff. It would be more fair to compare the Harleys to other heavy V-Twin tourers like the Eluder, Indian, etc.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:17 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,181 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
That's half right. They cost every bit as much as a Road Glide or Ultra at $24k base price. And you can spend over $31k on the top of the line model.

But yes, they certainly have more performance than the 2 Harleys. But even that's not a fair comparison. The Goldwing is more of a sport touring bike whereas the Harleys are a heavy touring bike. The latter places the emphasis on leisurely touring, which, for even an aggressive rider is 90% of what we do simply because we have to ride the slab to get to the good stuff. It would be more fair to compare the Harleys to other heavy V-Twin tourers like the Eluder, Indian, etc.
When did the GoldWing become a sport touring ride? Just because it has more stock capabilities than the Harley Electra Glides?

Goldwing are a direct, he'd to head, competition with Electra Glides. Depending on what items/features are important to the buyer, will determine the selection.

The following users liked this post:
Mark Faulkner (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 10:20 AM
nevada72
Banned

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
When did the GoldWing become a sport touring ride? Just because it has more stock capabilities than the Harley Electra Glides?

Goldwing are a direct, he'd to head, competition with Electra Glides. Depending on what items/features are important to the buyer, will determine the selection.
When they shrunk them down to 800ish pounds and made them smaller. I don't see them as direct competition at all. Two totally different ways to tour. I would be happy to ride a GW by myself. But for the leisurely 2 up touring that Cheryl and I do, the HD is a better choice.

I would compare the GW to the K1600 discussed above. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited by nevada72; 03-19-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:33 AM
wyndnface
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,131 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by kngpn
Everyone has different tastes. Ride what you want, I might say it’s not for me, but it’s good to see other riders out there enjoying riding.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:47 AM
anthony_b.
Road Captain
Received 170 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
I also think the electric is way overpriced and HD will lose a lot of R&D $$ on this one.
with other electric motorcycles in the $13K-$18K range, Harley will be very lucky to sell ONE LiveWire to probably 40(or even more)of the competitor e-cycles. I might even consider one 5-10yrs from now, but I won't spend over $15K for one. The LiveWire will be like the CVO of the e-cycles. If they're lucky.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:25 PM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 495 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by anthony_b.
with other electric motorcycles in the $13K-$18K range, Harley will be very lucky to sell ONE LiveWire to probably 40(or even more)of the competitor e-cycles. I might even consider one 5-10yrs from now, but I won't spend over $15K for one. The LiveWire will be like the CVO of the e-cycles. If they're lucky.
So why did you buy that expensive Harley you have a photo of in your signature? With other gasoline motorcycles as inexpensive as $4000 new I would have never guessed they would have sold that one for sooooo muchhhh.....

Someone is going to buy a Livewire so why don't you stop calling them stupid so they come around and tell us what it is like instead of spreading negativity.

The following 2 users liked this post by dceggert:
Cossack84 (03-20-2019), Mark Faulkner (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 12:49 PM
nevada72
Banned

Originally Posted by dceggert
So why did you buy that expensive Harley you have a photo of in your signature? With other gasoline motorcycles as inexpensive as $4000 new I would have never guessed they would have sold that one for sooooo muchhhh.....

Someone is going to buy a Livewire so why don't you stop calling them stupid so they come around and tell us what it is like instead of spreading negativity.
Your comparison isn't analogous. A Harley cost around the same as a comparable bike in many cases. Maybe a little more depending, but compare it to any other premium bike and it's apples to apples.

Now try to find an E-bike that cost anywhere near as much as the Livewire. Can't do it. It's waaaaaaay above the cost of the next closest competitor. Admittedly, it's very difficult to make a comparison as the Livewire isn't even released yet, and the other bikes are also just out of the gate. But I feel the criticism of the price is justified as it's HD's first offering and they are wading into new waters.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:31 PM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Admittedly, it's very difficult to make a comparison as the Livewire isn't even released yet, and the other bikes are also just out of the gate. But I feel the criticism of the price is justified as it's HD's first offering and they are wading into new waters.
So why not hold off with all the negativity until you get to actually try one?
Yes, it's very expensive, but so is every new Harley. Personally, i think the Livewire looks far better than any of the competition, but i don't really think it was designed to compete. It's a limited model from a luxury brand and it will sell to those it's marketed at.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:10 PM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 495 Likes on 259 Posts

Your comparison isn't analogous. A Harley cost around the same as a comparable bike in many cases. Maybe a little more depending, but compare it to any other premium bike and it's apples to apples.

Now try to find an E-bike that cost anywhere near as much as the Livewire. Can't do it. It's waaaaaaay above the cost of the next closest competitor. Admittedly, it's very difficult to make a comparison as the Livewire isn't even released yet, and the other bikes are also just out of the gate. But I feel the criticism of the price is justified as it's HD's first offering and they are wading into new waters.
You have not looked at or ridden the 'competition' have you? Look at one of those 20k zeros, then look at a Versys 300. They are about the same size bike. By saying the Zero is a better choice is like saying a Versys 300 is a better choice over anything else of more stature. This is not an apples to oranges conversation except for the people that keep throwing Zero into the equation and saying it is better.

Now let me ask; are you going to buy a Livewire? I din't think so. Are you going to buy a Zero? If not then I have another question...for all the Yamahondakawazukis and Ducati's, BMW's, and every other brand of bike on the planet why are YOU not calling gasoline Harley's all ugly, failures, overpriced, etc? People are lining up to pile on Harley for making the Livewire but not a one is even interested in it. Why is that? Why over and over again in multiple threads are the same people bashing the Livewire and the other new bikes as the end of the company. Do people just want to see their handle in print or something? Why is this?

Last edited by dceggert; 03-19-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:26 PM
kap1
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

Hang in there until the Pan American comes out. Folks will forget about the FXDR and start on it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So much hate.... (FXDR, V-ROD, LiveWire, etc...)