Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   So much hate.... (FXDR, V-ROD, LiveWire, etc...) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1275312-so-much-hate-fxdr-v-rod-livewire-etc.html)

GomezAddaams 03-17-2019 11:00 AM

So much hate.... (FXDR, V-ROD, LiveWire, etc...)

Being new to the HD community (September 2018), I notice there is a LOT of shade that is thrown around for certain bikes within the community. I've seen it on here and in other social media groups, for example (not my post):

Now, when I rode sportbikes, (like a lot of us here, can't ride em anymore) we used to give other manufacturer's bike a hard time (myself being team green for 20 + years, lol) but pretty much left our own bikes alone. ("You got a Ninja 300? cool!" )

But I am seeing something diffrent here. I noticed it back in 2015 when I rented a V-ROD. (And was considering the purchase of one). There was a certain look, disdain, aura, etc by the mention of it. I didn't think much of it at the time, but fast forward to 2018.

I purchased an FXDR in September. I thought (and still do) think it's a pretty neat bike. While I was still at the dealer, a guy comes in and starts taking pictures of it. I didn't let him know I had just bought it, but I asked him what he thought. "Ugliest ****ing thing I've ever seen" was the reply. Again, a little unnerving, but oh well, people and opinions.

That evening, I joined the forums. I did a search for "FXDR" and WOW! From the comments, you would have thought I married the daughter of the elephant man and broom hilda, lol.

After further research, I see there was / is still a distancing of folks in the V-ROD camp, and I see that with the LiveWire and future bikes coming up.

So with that said, is there something that I am missing that maybe I haven't been clued into? I get it, the internet is full of trolls and such, and it is easier to say things behind a keyboard. But I have been on a few rides and while most the folks are pretty nice, every now and then, you get a few dudes looking at your bike with disgust.

It's not going to make me feel any differently about my bike, just trying to understand the "core" I guess.

See you out there!

Keithhu 03-17-2019 11:07 AM

Well, yes, there's something you're missing, apparently. The Live Wire is close to 2X the cost of its nearest competitor. And the FXDR is laughingly promoted as a no compromise performance bike, when, again, you can get more performance and better handling from, say Ducati, again for probably 20% less.

So I can see your confusion if you're living in a Harley bubble.

Pretty simple, really.

Cossack84 03-17-2019 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Keithhu (Post 18111556)
Well, yes, there's something you're missing, apparently. The Live Wire is close to 2X the cost of its nearest competitor. And the FXDR is laughingly promoted as a no compromise performance bike, when, again, you can get more performance and better handling from, say Ducati, again for probably 20% less.

Pretty simple, really.

You are literally a "hater" OP is talking bout.....

Cossack84 03-17-2019 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by GomezAddaams (Post 18111542)
Being new to the HD community (September 2018), I notice there is a LOT of shade that is thrown around for certain bikes within the community. I've seen it on here and in other social media groups, for example (not my post):

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...0939ce3352.jpg
Now, when I rode sportbikes, (like a lot of us here, can't ride em anymore) we used to give other manufacturer's bike a hard time (myself being team green for 20 + years, lol) but pretty much left our own bikes alone. ("You got a Ninja 300? cool!" )

But I am seeing something diffrent here. I noticed it back in 2015 when I rented a V-ROD. (And was considering the purchase of one). There was a certain look, disdain, aura, etc by the mention of it. I didn't think much of it at the time, but fast forward to 2018.

I purchased an FXDR in September. I thought (and still do) think it's a pretty neat bike. While I was still at the dealer, a guy comes in and starts taking pictures of it. I didn't let him know I had just bought it, but I asked him what he thought. "Ugliest ****ing thing I've ever seen" was the reply. Again, a little unnerving, but oh well, people and opinions.

That evening, I joined the forums. I did a search for "FXDR" and WOW! From the comments, you would have thought I married the daughter of the elephant man and broom hilda, lol.

After further research, I see there was / is still a distancing of folks in the V-ROD camp, and I see that with the LiveWire and future bikes coming up.

So with that said, is there something that I am missing that maybe I haven't been clued into? I get it, the internet is full of trolls and such, and it is easier to say things behind a keyboard. But I have been on a few rides and while most the folks are pretty nice, every now and then, you get a few dudes looking at your bike with disgust.

It's not going to make me feel any differently about my bike, just trying to understand the "core" I guess.

See you out there!

What you missing is, bunch of salty old bags dissatisfied with their lives and taking it out the only way they can. Some Harley owners, that come to forums, are the worst kind of REEEEEEing a-hols you will get the pleasure of meeting.
Motor Company realized that and are trying to get rid of crusty old farts by joining 21st century by updating their product line. What you are reading is outburst of salty, left behind, dust buckets complaining about being left behind.

GomezAddaams 03-17-2019 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Keithhu (Post 18111556)

Pretty simple, really.

So you illustrate my point... You say "The bike sucks, go buy a Ducati", and yet you literally have the same engine I do. If I wanted a Ducati, I would have bought one. If I wanted a better performing bike, I would have bought a H2 SE SX. As far as the price is concerned, I knew going into this there is a Harley Tax, but it is within similar configured motorcycles at the dealer.

But the fact we both have the same engines, built by the same company, in probably the same plant, I find your attitude interesting.

kngpn 03-17-2019 11:23 AM

Everyone has different tastes. Ride what you want, I might say it’s not for me, but it’s good to see other riders out there enjoying riding.

ChopperBill 03-17-2019 11:26 AM

I’m a crusty old fart and I like a lot of the new stuff. If I had the bucks there would be a new Can-Am Ryker sitting next to my Harley. Maybe a model of a Victory and an Indian.

Keithhu 03-17-2019 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by GomezAddaams (Post 18111590)
So you illustrate my point... You say "The bike sucks, go buy a Ducati", and yet you literally have the same engine I do. If I wanted a Ducati, I would have bought one. If I wanted a better performing bike, I would have bought a H2 SE SX. As far as the price is concerned, I knew going into this there is a Harley Tax, but it is within similar configured motorcycles at the dealer.

But the fact we both have the same engines, built by the same company, in probably the same plant, I find your attitude interesting.

My point is that Harley desperately needs new customers (just read any press release from them, or listen to the earnings calls). That would either be 1) first bike from a young rider or 2) taking share from competitors.

These bikes will do neither of these two things.

If you were in the market for an electric bike, would you pay 2X for the privilege of owning a Harley? I wouldnt.

If you ask any dealer sales rep (at least the ones I have), they'll tell you they sell very few if any of the FXDRs

kngpn 03-17-2019 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by ChopperBill (Post 18111605)
I’m a crusty old fart and I like a lot of the new stuff. If I had the bucks there would be a new Can-Am Ryker sitting next to my Harley. Maybe a model of a Victory and an Indian.

no kidding, at 10k that thing looks like a blast. Single car garage here that already has two bikes and the wife’s vehicle.

SBRob 03-17-2019 11:48 AM

Most old farts don't like change...that's all.

Don't worry about it...ride what you want and have fun doing it, that's really all that matters and havin' your knees in the breeze. :icon_moped: