General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the best rainsuit

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 08:12 PM
Ultrascott
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
Default what is the best rainsuit

hi all,i'm not sure if this is in the right spot but here goes.me and my wife are headed from Kentucky out towards Yellowstone up to northern montana for the going to the sun road.we have went on many trips across country and ran into many downpours to sprinkles of rain but seems like we always get wet under our rain suits.i have a Harley rainsuit and my wife has had Harley to frog togs and seems to get the most of the soaking.we are trying to see what everyone else is using for rain protection and how do they work.thanks

Old 03-17-2019, 08:18 PM
60mike06FLHX
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

The one you have with you when you need it....

Actually I have tried several over the years and I like Gortex better than any of the others, mine is a Harley brand that I have had for years, I don't think they have the Gortex ones now. But None of the Rain suites will keep you 100% dry.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:49 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,757 Likes on 1,438 Posts

I have a Harley rain suit, paid about $110 for it, has always kept me high and dry.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:44 PM
bgvta
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

I got my wife and I Frog Toggs rain suits off of Amazon a few years ago for about $35.00 each. We rode through a crazy rainstorm between Cheyenne and Denver and the collar on my shirt was a little wet when we got to our hotel, my wife didn't get wet at all. The other people with us in $100+ suits were soaked. I felt pretty smug about that.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:59 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

Amsoil !

Oh ! Sorry, wrong topic lol

The following 2 users liked this post by heritageblue2013:
5wheels (03-18-2019), cficole (03-19-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 11:19 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,492 Likes on 1,604 Posts

I've had my H-D (gray & black) for several years and I'm quite happy with it.
It's heavy enough to protect me from the cooler temps during rainstorms and It's large enough to fit over my leather jacket if needed and if I put the hood up (under my FF modular helmet) before the rain starts I get very little water on my clothing.
Just keep in mind that they are called "rain suits" NOT "wet suits" so after a wet day's ride I'd be surprised if I didn't get some moisture, somewhere.
My ONLY complaint with my rain suit is that the pants are a bit difficult to get on without sitting on, or leaning up against something so if it's one of those off and on rainy days I usually just wear the darned pants and put the jacket on when needed

Old 03-18-2019, 05:19 AM
KYRGultra
Road Master
Received 489 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultrascott
hi all,i'm not sure if this is in the right spot but here goes.me and my wife are headed from Kentucky out towards Yellowstone up to northern montana for the going to the sun road.we have went on many trips across country and ran into many downpours to sprinkles of rain but seems like we always get wet under our rain suits.i have a Harley rainsuit and my wife has had Harley to frog togs and seems to get the most of the soaking.we are trying to see what everyone else is using for rain protection and how do they work.thanks
You need to determine where water is getting in--then maybe you can fix it. Years ago I bought rain gear, was looking for something cheap just for the occasional time when I might be traveling and needed to ride in the rain. OK, got el cheapo rain pants and jacket at a Cycle Gear outlet. Not worth a damn, too many leaks. Went with the HD Hi-VIZ rainsuit cause I saw so many others wearing it. Seemed pretty good except I was still getting water in around my skinny azz neck--just couldn't get it closed snug enough around my neck to keep water out.

Well, eventually I discovered the built in hood in the collar of the HD rain suit. Duh! And, thankfully, my Bell Pit Boss half helmet has a little wheel thingy in the back that gives me a little bit of adjustment in the fit of my helmet. So, now I can put on the HD rainsuit hood and still get my helmet on over the hood and NO MORE LEAKS around my neck area.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:12 AM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,717 Likes on 890 Posts

I've ridden in monsoons, and this suit keeps me completely dry. Not a drop of water on me.

You have to look at the zippers... Get the ones with that black seal. Looks almost like rubber over the zipper.

I've heard Klim makes nice stuff too.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:42 AM
Hecklerboy
Road Warrior
Received 879 Likes on 382 Posts

I've been using Frogg Toggs for 7 years now and really like them.
Are they 100% weatherproof? No, but no rain suit is.
I've found that with a rain suit the trick is to take your time when suiting up.
Make sure everything is zipped and latched, especially around your neck.
When I rush putting it on I always end up wet.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:51 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by bgvta
I got my wife and I Frog Toggs rain suits off of Amazon a few years ago for about $35.00 each. We rode through a crazy rainstorm between Cheyenne and Denver and the collar on my shirt was a little wet when we got to our hotel, my wife didn't get wet at all. The other people with us in $100+ suits were soaked. I felt pretty smug about that.
Funny, I’ve had Frogg Toggs and couldn’t stay dry. Mine would soak up through the *** of the pants and through the shoulders of the jacket.

Bought an HD suit and have been dry ever since. The fit is a ton better and doesn’t feel like I’m wearing a shitty ground tarp that I found in a work van.

Quick Reply: what is the best rainsuit