General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your thots on steel-toe boots

Old 03-18-2019, 08:49 PM
edugatyr
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Your thots on steel-toe boots

Last night I bought a pair of the Bill model of Harley boot for around a hundred bucks. Seems to have everything I want: good cushioning, good grip, inside zipper, etc. HOWEVER, I just wanted to do some additional research on the boot, so I went here:

Bill Boot

There is a disclaimer that states that steel-toed boots should not be worn when riding a motorcycle.

I found an old thread off a different site regarding steel-toed boots here. Apparently, the issue is that if the boot is bent back with sufficient force in an accident, the steel toe cap will clip the toes off. As stated in the old discussion, Mythbusters tested this hypothesis and found that enough force to mess up a toe cap will destroy your toes anyway, without a toe cap.

What are your thoughts on steel-toed boots?

Old 03-18-2019, 09:03 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,991 Likes on 1,997 Posts

Been wearing steel toe boots for almost 32 years for work and I use the same boots to ride with. I've only had one minor accident and the boots weren't a factor either way...just happy I had boots on and not flip flops. There's the old story of the guy that had all his toes cut off when a heavy piece of steel fell on his foot...probably never happened but I'd imagine the outcome would have been just as bad without steel toe. Just don't see it being an issue...like I said they have to be better than flip flops or sneakers...white sneakers of course...cross thread points???

The following 3 users liked this post by Screamin beagle:
edugatyr (03-18-2019), Oakers3 (02-28-2021), TwiZted Biker (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 09:04 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,318 Likes on 10,699 Posts

Comfort. That is the only thing that comes to mind.

I always customize my boots from the very bottom to the very top. Any time I think about steel toes, I just do not see the advantage and it. And maybe it would even be heavier.

I also use the top of my left boot to shift into higher gears. So how would that play out if I had still toed boot on my left foot?

Since I just cannot see any real upside and possibly an additional cost, personally I have passed on the steel toes.

The following users liked this post:
edugatyr (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 10:01 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,132 Likes on 5,521 Posts

always had to wear steel toes in the Navy. If its good enough for that around heavy aircraft (if one of them rolls over your foot, you're screwed either way), then its good enough for anything else as well. Also the toe cap keeps the shape of the toe from getting deformed over time. Never when I was in did I have an issue shifting with the steel toes on. Worst case, I would have adjusted the shifter to allow my toes underneath.

The following 2 users liked this post by ScottinAZ:
edugatyr (03-18-2019), r-bar-j (02-28-2021)
Old 03-18-2019, 10:11 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,769 Likes on 17,439 Posts

Only thing I will wear riding is steel toes, got in that habit several decades ago. You hit or are hit by something hard enough to mash a steel toe that's going to be the least of your problems trust me. Steel or fiberglass toes have been very useful concerning the bike over the years for a number of reasons.

The following 4 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
edugatyr (03-18-2019), slughill (02-28-2021), Tom84FXST (03-19-2019), Zoider (03-19-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 10:17 PM
edugatyr
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Only thing I will wear riding is steel toes, got in that habit several decades ago. You hit or are hit by something hard enough to mash a steel toe that's going to be the least of your problems trust me. Steel or fiberglass toes have been very useful concerning the bike over the years for a number of reasons.
Good point. Makes me feel better about my purchase. Thanks.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:24 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

If I have an impact strong enough to bend all my toes and boot backwards enough to cut my toes off well my foot is screwed with or without steel toes. So what about the car bumper that just pushed your foot into a pretzel what is it going to do to your leg and the rest of your body. Believe me if you have been to enough bad crashes a steel toe boot is the least of your worries.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:40 PM
forever 2 wheels
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello edugatyr. Have been wearing steel toe boots daily most of my life. While riding with friends a heavy metal object hit my right steel toe boot square front middle, my foot/leg was forced off floor board. If I was riding one handed I feel I would have lost control.
We were cruising speed limit, about 55-60 MPH. Rider behind me had video recorder capturing our adventure. We pull of road to safe area, then viewed video. It was very heavy, sharp edged flattened metal object about size of 12 oz can.
The steel toe boot saved what could have been my life, at least my right foot. The boots are Doc Martin's, not sure if that makes any difference but I find them comfortable enough to wear anytime/anyplace. I have at least four pairs on hand, always one new in the box pair for special occasion. I rotate them from formal to working and everything in between.
Best of luck to you, whatever you choose as riding footwear.

The following 2 users liked this post by forever 2 wheels:
edugatyr (03-18-2019), RoadHog659 (03-01-2021)
Old 03-18-2019, 10:53 PM
brudford
Tourer
Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

Bad choice for a motorcycle boot . Buy a motorcycle specific boot . I worked in an ER for many years as a RN and had seen my share of cycle accidents . By far the number one injury coming through the ER doors were lower leg and foot injuries . You need a wright below the knee high boot with TPU lateral brace protection , calf/shin support , good quality leather for abrasion resistance , TPU shin guards and a sole shank support and the boot should be CE certified . The boot to look at is made by Alpinestars SMX-6 V2 boot . I know that the Pirate dressing Harley crowd with their doo-rags and beannie helmets will disagree but I have seen the injuries and I think you are wasting your money with steel toed work boots that are not designed with motorcycling safety in mind . Almost forgot to ask if while riding your bike you will be dropping anything on your toes ? Also keep in mind that if you happen to low side and bend the steel in the toe box you might just cut those toes clean off !

Last edited by brudford; 03-18-2019 at 11:07 PM. Reason: spelling
The following 2 users liked this post by brudford:
Jehu (02-28-2021), Mark out West (03-19-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 11:11 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by brudford
Bad choice for a motorcycle boot . Buy a motorcycle specific boot . I worked in an ER for many years as a RN and had seen my share of cycle accidents . By far the number one injury coming through the ER doors were lower leg and foot injuries . You need a right below the knee high boot with TPU lateral brace protection , calf/shin support , good quality leather for abrasion resistance , TPU shin guards and a sole shank support and the boot should be CE certified . The boot to look at is made by Alpinestars SMX-6 V2 boot . I know that the Pirate dressing Harley crowd with their doo-rags and beannie helmets will disagree but I have seen the injuries and I think you are wasting your money with steel toed work boots that are not designed with motorcycling safety in mind .
Depends really. I had to lay my bike down once (it was lay it down or go through the rear window of the car that pulled out in front of me.)

Luckily it was low speed but even so the right toe of my boot was torn down to the steel - god only knows what would’ve happened if I hadn’t had steel toe boots.

The following users liked this post:
forever 2 wheels (04-13-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Your thots on steel-toe boots