General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

more road king buffeting help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 12:38 AM
Leverlution
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default more road king buffeting help!

Hey guys, just looking to see what direction I should move in next. Kind of getting tired of tossing money at it. 18 road king special, tall boy seat, harley windshield hardware, JES air deflectors, no lowers. 5'11 and a half in height, bars are pulled back slightly for the windshield, so i sit back in the seat. Have 18in harley standard, 18in freedom shield with flip, and the "tall" klock werks with the hips. Freedom was the best before the JES deflectors, only tested with klock werks so far since. Full face with the visor down, the buffeting is a bit annoying but tolerable well past legal speeds. Top of the head taping starts around 55-60. with the visor flipped up, or a half helmet, anything over 58mph shakes my eyes so much its like riding stumbling drunk. No shield its nice clean air up to the limiter. I really only want to get the windshield "set up" for longer trips, weekend trips where weather is iffy etc, otherwise I like open fronts anyway. Just not sure if I should go with a 20in freedom with a flip, smaller and get cleaner air to the helmet like maybe a harley windsplitter, or take all the harley stuff off and just put a small outlaw fairing on it to get some wind off my chest on the long rides. I have also tried the road glide air deflectors that clip onto the engine guard and the frame. Im not noticing any significant air streams with gloves on around the tank anywhere. Very clean since the air deflectors. Its just dirty air right at the top of my helmet. Scooting forward in the seat off the backrest and hunching down an inch or two makes visor up feel almost like visor down in the normal position.

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2019, 05:26 AM
madwrencher
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't ride with a windshield on my road king unless i'm on a trip. All the ones i had give me some buffering. I also ride with a full face helmet.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:49 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Originally Posted by Leverlution
Hey guys, just looking to see what direction I should move in next. Kind of getting tired of tossing money at it. 18 road king special, tall boy seat, harley windshield hardware, JES air deflectors, no lowers. 5'11 and a half in height, bars are pulled back slightly for the windshield, so i sit back in the seat. Have 18in harley standard, 18in freedom shield with flip, and the "tall" klock werks with the hips. Freedom was the best before the JES deflectors, only tested with klock werks so far since. Full face with the visor down, the buffeting is a bit annoying but tolerable well past legal speeds. Top of the head taping starts around 55-60. with the visor flipped up, or a half helmet, anything over 58mph shakes my eyes so much its like riding stumbling drunk. No shield its nice clean air up to the limiter. I really only want to get the windshield "set up" for longer trips, weekend trips where weather is iffy etc, otherwise I like open fronts anyway. Just not sure if I should go with a 20in freedom with a flip, smaller and get cleaner air to the helmet like maybe a harley windsplitter, or take all the harley stuff off and just put a small outlaw fairing on it to get some wind off my chest on the long rides. I have also tried the road glide air deflectors that clip onto the engine guard and the frame. Im not noticing any significant air streams with gloves on around the tank anywhere. Very clean since the air deflectors. Its just dirty air right at the top of my helmet. Scooting forward in the seat off the backrest and hunching down an inch or two makes visor up feel almost like visor down in the normal position.

Thanks!
The low pressure area behind the windshield is causing your problem, although it doesn't bother some people at all.
A vent can help.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/goldwing-windshield-vent

The following users liked this post:
Leverlution (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 06:37 AM
Leverlution
Cruiser

Originally Posted by OldMike
The low pressure area behind the windshield is causing your problem, although it doesn't bother some people at all.
A vent can help.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/goldwing-windshield-vent
Are there any shields (besides the14-16in harley's) that have vents? or how would you go about molding one in? thanks!

Old 03-19-2019, 06:43 AM
Leverlution
Cruiser

Originally Posted by madwrencher
I don't ride with a windshield on my road king unless i'm on a trip. All the ones i had give me some buffering. I also ride with a full face helmet.
I hear you dude. This is the second time I've tried to set up a windshield over the course of 6 bikes. First was a Burgman 650 that I inherited when my father passed, and surprise, the buffeting was annoying. Not eye shaking bad, but annoying. Even with an $800 track helmet I had for the Triumph. Put a laminar lip on it, had the gap between the fairing and windshield extended some, never did get rid of it. Not sure what I was thinking going through it all again, lol. As much as I enjoy the bike naked, there is definitely something to be said for the noticeable effect on fatigue when adding a shield though. Otherwise i'd toss it all.

The following users liked this post:
bentparts (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 06:54 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Originally Posted by Leverlution
Are there any shields (besides the14-16in harley's) that have vents? or how would you go about molding one in? thanks!
Like this:
http://gadgetsfixitpage.com/article....indshield-vent

Old 03-19-2019, 07:10 AM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Long Ride Shields windshields with recurve have worked for me on a 2014 Street Glide and a 2001 RKC. But of course you have to match correctly to your height, the shield itself is only part of the equation.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:20 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,125 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Clearview makes shields with vents.

https://www.clearviewshields.com/cle...hield-venting/

I put a couple of these in my Sportster Windshield. They helped reduce the buffeting (raised the speed at which the buffeting becomes annoying), but didn't eliminate it.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...yABEgJasfD_BwE

Last edited by VAFish; 03-19-2019 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:28 AM
eglide_vt
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Have you tried the Front Fork Air Baffle. I think it’s about $30. It’s known to help a bit with the air that rushes up from below the tank. Don’t know if it will help, but it’s an inexpensive experiment.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:45 AM
PPearl
Tourer
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

The ugly-*** fangs finally did the trick for me on my SG. They've all but eliminated the buffeting.

Quick Reply: more road king buffeting help!