General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this WHIM thing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 09:00 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

The real profit isn't in the initial sale of the bike it's in the come backs or what I call the sucker sales.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:43 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
Why not just get your helmet and install a Sena Freewire? Is it not compatible with the helmet.
Doesn't the Freewire connect to the DIN plug?

I was hoping to listen to the SiriusXM I just installed through the built in speakers in the Sena helmet, I heard they are really great. That being said, I am not getting the helmet, WHIM or any Bluetooth communications set. I am going to listen to the 300w worth of stereo I already have and everyone can listen with me. As far as communications, I am not willing to spend that kind of money for someone to tell me they need to go to the bathroom on a ride. It was a convenience that was going to be justified by High Definition speakers and Noise Canceling technology on my head. That I can get for $466 on Amazon and I get a nice new quiet helmet with it.

Last edited by TexasMotorcycleRider; 03-20-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:14 AM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,126 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket67
All I wanted was music, I could care less about using the voice functions as I can connect direct to my phone and do anything I need from that. How were you getting voice navigation?
Originally Posted by Brewmany
The purpose of the WHIM module is to allow compatible Bluetooth enabled headsets to interface with your Boom Audio unit the same way the the wired headsets do. If you want full functionality- you supposedly have to use HD branded Sena headsets- I understand you'll get mono audio otherwise.

Sena also make a device that does this, but it sounds like you need one device for each headset- where the WHIIM will allow two headsets to pair to the Boom Audio- again, just like the wired headsets.

I have no idea how anyone could get audio navigation from the Boom Audio Navigation system via bluetooth without the WHIM or the Sena gadget. I would also like to know how Down South was able to do that.
I wish that I could explain HOW? but it was. I have a HD branded bluetooth helmet. Before I installed the WHIM, the navigation on my GTS would bluetooth to my helmet. I could only play music to my external speakers. After I installed the WHIM and had the bike flashed, I could bluetooth music to the helmet.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:43 PM
Broccoli2
Cruiser
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Doesn't the Freewire connect to the DIN plug?
From SENA

Models of Harley-Davidson Motorcycles that are Compatible with the FreeWire. The FreeWire for Harley-Davidson is compatible with all models of Harley-Davidson motorcycles with the 7-pin DIN audio port. This ranges from all models starting from 1998 - Later which includes:
  • Electra Glide Ultra Classic FLHTCU
  • Electra Glide Ultra Classic Low FLHTCUL
  • Electra Glide Ultra Limited FLHTK
  • Ultra Limited FLHTK
  • Ultra Limited Low FLHTKL
  • CVO Limited FLHTKSE
  • Tri Glide Ultra FLHTCUTG
  • Tri Glide Ultra Classic FLHTCUTG
  • Ultra Classic Electra Glide FLHTCU
  • Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI FLHTCUI

Old 03-20-2019, 12:53 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Broccoli2
From SENA

Models of Harley-Davidson Motorcycles that are Compatible with the FreeWire. The FreeWire for Harley-Davidson is compatible with all models of Harley-Davidson motorcycles with the 7-pin DIN audio port. This ranges from all models starting from 1998 - Later which includes:
  • Electra Glide Ultra Classic FLHTCU
  • Electra Glide Ultra Classic Low FLHTCUL
  • Electra Glide Ultra Limited FLHTK
  • Ultra Limited FLHTK
  • Ultra Limited Low FLHTKL
  • CVO Limited FLHTKSE
  • Tri Glide Ultra FLHTCUTG
  • Tri Glide Ultra Classic FLHTCUTG
  • Ultra Classic Electra Glide FLHTCU
  • Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI FLHTCUI
That wouldn't work with my bike, it's a Street Glide Special. No DIN plug.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:59 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,763 Likes on 6,201 Posts

Sounds like what they used to call "Impulse buys".
Never purchase anything on a whim.
The name fits.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:45 PM
RedOregon
Tourer

Received 125 Likes on 82 Posts

This is why I had an ElectraGlide Standard. Put my own damn radio in it, used my phone for GPS and the like. Same with my Freewheeler. Good thing they brought back the Standard.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:10 PM
Sierra Nate
Road Master
Received 642 Likes on 260 Posts

All I wanted was music, I could care less about using the voice functions as I can connect direct to my phone and do anything I need from that. How were you getting voice navigation?
Does your phone have Bluetooth? Connect your phone to your helmet and enjoy free Spotify (a couple commercials every 5 or 6 songs). Its pretty simple setup.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:10 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sierra Nate
Does your phone have Bluetooth? Connect your phone to your helmet and enjoy free Spotify (a couple commercials every 5 or 6 songs). Its pretty simple setup.
I use XM since a lot of places I ride have little to no cell signal and there are a few stations on XM that I really like. I have been using Pandora, Amazon Prime Music and iHeart for years and it doesn't seem like the music changes much. On XM I am hearing songs I haven't heard in decades, it's refreshing. I have a decent sound system on the bike, the connected helmet was just to add phone, comms and have a better sounding audio system as the Helmet I was looking at had state of the art speakers and a noise cancelling system so you could listen clearly at lower volumes. Without the WHIM it's pretty much useless until you get a call though.

So, I ditched the whole plan. All good.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:12 PM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

I use XM since a lot of places I ride have little to no cell signal and there are a few stations on XM that I really like. I have been using Pandora, Amazon Prime Music and iHeart for years and it doesn't seem like the music changes much. On XM I am hearing songs I haven't heard in decades, it's refreshing. I have a decent sound system on the bike, the connected helmet was just to add phone, comms and have a better sounding audio system as the Helmet I was looking at had state of the art speakers and a noise cancelling system so you could listen clearly at lower volumes. Without the WHIM it's pretty much useless until you get a call though.

So, I ditched the whole plan. All good.
I know nothing about the Boom system or Sena either although my wife and kids use it (Sena)on their bikes.

As for online radio, I've been using Deezer about a year. It's subscription service but runs $9 for single acct, $14 for the family plan I have. They have a huge library on demand, make your own unlimited playlists and download to your phone for offline use or streaming stations like the others.

They also have or had a deal with AT&T and Cricket customers for something like $6 a month. I think they have a free trial even. I had tried Pandora, iHeart, and the likes. I had XM but dropped it after I started using deezer, I use it on the car, truck, bike, & home stereo.

Quick Reply: What is this WHIM thing?