Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   What is this WHIM thing? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1275671-what-is-this-whim-thing.html)

TexasMotorcycleRider 03-19-2019 03:02 PM

What is this WHIM thing?

Ok, so I was about to drop $500 on the Sena Momentum INC helmet with integrated Bluetooth speakers and microphone, had it in my Amazon cart. While I was at the Harley dealer looking at the HD version of the Sena Momentum (non INC) the guy just happened to mention to my buddy that the Bluetooth headset won't work with the Boom 6.5 or the Boom GTS without a WHIM. WTF? So what is a WHIM? It's a $300 module that has to be installed on the Harley infotainment system so that a Bluetooth headset will connect. So much for the new GTS being awesome, this is pretty petty on HD's part if you ask me. I just dropped $400 on a SiriusXM module and wanted a good helmet with built in speakers that I could use to listen to it and also have bike to bike comms on some of my longer rides. And on top of everything else, I have read that even if you install the WHIM the signal will be in Mono unless you have an HD branded Bluetooth headset. WTF again? So, I a not going to spend nearly a grand to get mono sound in my helmet. Money better spent on a better amp and speakers. I guess I will have to just keep using hand signals.

What a load of crap Harley Davidson.

At least I found out before I bought the helmet.

seniorsuperglideE8 03-19-2019 07:26 PM

Used to build high end boats, you'd be surprised how much more 5 ft. more costs on a boat. had the same thoughts when I purchased a brand new Road Glide Ultra, why did I have to pay to add a luggage rack and saddle bag guards to an Ultra model, notice how many previous models had solo seats and no footpegs for passengers. All about marketing and setting the hook!

Down South 03-19-2019 08:53 PM

Yup, you will have to purchase a WHIM if you want to Bluetooth music to a headset. I don't know all about it but I could still get voice navigation without a WHIM. I bought the WHIM online for $250 and installed it myself. It still requires a dealer flash to activate it.

TexasMotorcycleRider 03-20-2019 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Down South (Post 18118323)
Yup, you will have to purchase a WHIM if you want to Bluetooth music to a headset. I don't know all about it but I could still get voice navigation without a WHIM. I bought the WHIM online for $250 and installed it myself. It still requires a dealer flash to activate it.

All I wanted was music, I could care less about using the voice functions as I can connect direct to my phone and do anything I need from that. How were you getting voice navigation?

Brewmany 03-20-2019 07:59 AM

The purpose of the WHIM module is to allow compatible Bluetooth enabled headsets to interface with your Boom Audio unit the same way the the wired headsets do. If you want full functionality- you supposedly have to use HD branded Sena headsets- I understand you'll get mono audio otherwise.

Sena also make a device that does this, but it sounds like you need one device for each headset- where the WHIIM will allow two headsets to pair to the Boom Audio- again, just like the wired headsets.

I have no idea how anyone could get audio navigation from the Boom Audio Navigation system via bluetooth without the WHIM or the Sena gadget. I would also like to know how Down South was able to do that.

Super Glidester 03-20-2019 08:10 AM

i don't know.....

upflying 03-20-2019 08:11 AM

I put a Sony Walkman in my jacket if I want ride music.

FNGonaRK 03-20-2019 08:13 AM

Why not just get your helmet and install a Sena Freewire? Is it not compatible with the helmet.

wethead103 03-20-2019 08:51 AM

I won't drink there cool aid. It's a crock of sh/t to spend over a thousand dollars to listen to music. I'm very happy with my 7 pin plug and the Harley headset. Don't need to worry about charging the headset or more electronics on my bike. Doesn't bother me a bit to just unplug when getting off the bike. If you have a passenger, BOOM!..there's another 6 or $700 dollars plus having to worry about keeping both headsets charged for only 6 hrs. Before needing charged again. What a money waster.

Uncle Larry 03-20-2019 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by upflying (Post 18119075)
I put a Sony Walkman in my jacket if I want ride music.

I was waiting for this :>)