General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

making my landscaping trailer a towing trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 01:10 PM
nrg2brn
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default making my landscaping trailer a towing trailer

goinig to tow 2 bikes on a typical 7 by 12 trailer. so Ive got the chocks. one up to the front, the other a foot back - so our handlebars dont hit each other. Now I have to mount the mount points for the ratchet straps. this trailer came with notihing good to attach to. my question is of angles. If I use the handlebar things - canyon dancers - can the straps go pretty much straight down and out a foot, or do they really need to go towards the front of the trailer? my front chock being so close to the front does not allow for much of this. should I move the chock back a bit? or is barely going fwd enough to be secure?

or ditch the canyon dancers totally and just attach my soft straps and ratchet down from the forktube? I pic from the top would be great, youtube has a lot of different videos, Id just like to do it the right way, since im able to design my own system.

thanks!

dave

Old 03-20-2019, 01:18 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,210 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Does your landscape trailer have steel side rails? If so, get some forged eye bolts and install them as needed. That's what I did with my landscape trailer.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:27 PM
nrg2brn
Intermediate

yeah, the mounts are going to be on the floor of the trailer. my question is mainly of angles. should they be in front of the front tire, or straight out? since my chock is waaaay up at the rail, the mounts will be even with the chock. I might want to move my chock back a bit so I get maybe a 45 degree angle from bike to trailer? and is the further the cables go OUT from the bike better? I dont have much space. maybe a foot or foot and half from bike to mount.

thx

dave

Old 03-20-2019, 03:27 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,121 Likes on 1,621 Posts

I think it's best if you can have some angle on the straps, you want to pull the bike into the chock. Doesn't have to be 45 degrees, but it needs to be more than straight down.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:28 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,229 Likes on 5,990 Posts

I would try to mount a bit forward and outward of the chock.. The idea is to pull the front end into the chock and to have the tie downs angle outwards a bit to provide some side to side stability. I would also try to put something on the back end of the bikes to pull back a bit (once the front end is tied down). Again rearwards and slightly outwards of your desired mounting points on bike.
The whole intent is to provide a secure mount to prevent front and rear movement and side movements. I don't believe you have to be forward or outwards a great deal... a few inches should be enough. I would try to take a look see at other trailers... perhaps find an adventure rider or dirt bike source of info and ask what they do. You near any dirt bike shops? they may be able to give you some advice.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:16 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

think tripod. you want angles rather than straight up and down.

Put crutches straight under you and have someone shove you.... then put the crutches a little in front of you and out to the side....

Old 03-20-2019, 05:17 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by VAFish
I think it's best if you can have some angle on the straps, you want to pull the bike into the chock. Doesn't have to be 45 degrees, but it needs to be more than straight down.
Yup, after having towed many bikes back and forth to Daytona for years, including a 42' gooseneck trailer, you want to pull the bike forward into the chocks - which I trust you mean hoop/cradle affair that holds the from wheel.

For only two bikes that are not going to be directly behind each other, it's hard to beat two condor type devices through-bolted to the trailer as a starting point.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:28 AM
nrg2brn
Intermediate

well. here it is. guess Ill move em both back. they have to be staggered because of handlebars. the front one does not have enough fwd pull....damn. lot a holes in them boards. lol

Old 03-21-2019, 11:29 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,210 Likes on 1,380 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it, as long as those anchors are through-bolted. Why not load and haul the bikes one at a time for a test ride and see how it goes?

Old 03-21-2019, 12:10 PM
BobS761
Novice
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I hauled 2 touring bikes 900 miles to Daytona with the B&W Biker bars. Highly recommended.
B

Quick Reply: making my landscaping trailer a towing trailer