General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer doesn’t want to fix bike under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 07:20 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

Dealer is being a dick.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:11 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Dealer is being a dick.
And stupidly so.

It's a trivial fix. I get that it's a low-money job and probably not worth the time it would take to fill out the warranty paperwork.

So what.

Tell the customer you'll do it for the cost of his deductible. Have one of your guys spend 15 minutes pulling the bolts and re-installing with fresh seals.

Done.

The following users liked this post:
bentparts (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 08:32 PM
bentparts
Tourer
Received 117 Likes on 67 Posts

I could have replaced a set in the time it took to read this thread.

lh4x4 (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 10:10 PM
Pacificsparky
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Im trying a different dealer when I get the chance see how it goes, what they say if I have trouble or if it’s not worth my time bickering about it I may change it myself if it is as easy as you all say it is, I’m not mechanically declined so much as don’t know about the dynamics of a motor but can follow instruction well am meticulous and own a torque wrench lol. Interesting to hear they have a new gasket available I may also look into this. Thanks for all the input everyone much appreciated from a newby to the forum may have to spend some non riding time in here, much thanks.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:57 PM
moparnut72
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

This is not a 30 minute fix. At least on my bike it isn't. You can't even reach the bolts with the tank on and if you could there is not enough room to get them out. It is going to take probably 30 minutes to drain the tank and take it off and that would be pretty quick. Then it would take another 15 or so to put it back on and refill and that isn't even including removing the rocker box and changing the gasket etc. I have been in my rocker boxes 3 times in the last month or so due to noise issues, I think I know what it takes. I may not be the speediest mechanic but this job would take some time if done correctly. I sure wouldn't want to rush through it and have to do it a second time. I also found when I opened mine up the first time the bolts weren't all torqued evenly, in fact one was fairly lightly torqued. First thing to check.
kk

The following 2 users liked this post by moparnut72:
anthony_b. (03-26-2019), kap1 (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 07:39 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 609 Posts

As stated by other(s), the Stealerships don't make the rate they want from the MoCo but, as also mentioned, they will me more than happy to perform repair$ for you once the warranty expires.

anthony_b. (03-26-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 08:52 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Glidester
Very well put. I was trying to say something like this, but it didnt come out as well as this.. but yeah dealerships dont want to put a "miniscule" claim int through the claims dept. they may tell ya its seepage and to come back when it gets worse, then they can charge mor gaskets materials etc. some claims dept may bounce claims also, for just about any reson, it may come down to justification, and seepage may not qualify.
I’m calling BS on this. They will file a warranty for a simple front brake master cylinder lid and gasket.

Bottom line, that dealer sucks.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:07 PM
wiliturk
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/articles/ha...o-bomb-threat/

I understand you being pissed, but you didn't have to go this far!!!

Old 03-22-2019, 06:46 PM
The Dude
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It shouldn't be seeping at least on a new bike and how is it known that the breather system is actually working correctly and not letting pressure get built up in the crankcase causing the seepage. As bad as everyone drags Harleys name through the oil puddle about leaking bikes, hard to believe under warranty they would say its normal. Looks like in the pics its a little more than a seep also, its ran down on the bottom .

Old 03-23-2019, 12:09 AM
Pacificsparky
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sleighcrane
Are you dealing at the Kamloops dealer? You could try another place even if you had to go to Vancouver I know it's a bit of a ride but spring is here. The thing is if you took that bike to trade it in they would be saying that they would have to fix that leak before they could sell it. Should be covered under warranty. I think they are being jerks.
i just moved to Kamloops so ill try the dealer out here I was dealing with Barnes in Langley but now I’m going to be dealing with Barnes in Kamloops lol same owner but I hope not as busy/ better service department... it was also busy season when I went to get it looked at so I can see why they are looking to make more cash from others without haveimg to deal with warranty. Hoping when I take it in. Is it’s still early enough they have time to WANT to fix it.

thinking more and more just order a s&s gasket kit and do it myself. Won’t be paying for the esp again that’s for sure!

Quick Reply: Dealer doesn’t want to fix bike under warranty