General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard starting in the winter......

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 07:12 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,571 Likes on 9,799 Posts

It's the 13.5 to 1 compression ratio.....

Old 03-21-2019, 07:22 AM
MRPHS
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Did you get the new flash from the dealer to active the ACR valves? Or do you have a tuner to make sure they are active?

Old 03-21-2019, 09:25 AM
MilsurpShooter
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 17,795 Likes on 6,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricekj
Yes hard starting meant...slow crank over....until the click click click
Yeah in my humble opinion, you need a new Battery. Older battery, add in the cold and as mentioned prior some heavy/thick oil at the low temps all makes it hard on that starter to turn everything over.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:35 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,658 Likes on 945 Posts

You need a new battery that's all have your battery load checked make you do it at least two times, I ride all winter too my bike was slow starting changed the battery now problems, same thing happened to my friend told him to change the battery he did no problems after that.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:38 AM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,239 Likes on 8,510 Posts
Old 03-21-2019, 09:48 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,473 Likes on 2,475 Posts

I will never understand that mentality of having to ride in freezing cold weather to what? Just prove something?

Hell; I am 65, got a few years left, & I live in Florida. And STILL I'll be damned if I'm gonna be uncomfortable just to prove something. When it is cold here (yes, it gets cold occasionally here, like high in the 50s) I jump in the car or truck, with heat, CD player, & coffee. Some call me a wuss. But I can tell you...my neighborhood is completely deserted when it's 96 degrees here; most people can't take the heat; yet I'll be out mowing my lawn & loving it. So; who's a wuss NOW?

The following users liked this post:
nytryder (03-22-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 11:14 AM
Ricekj
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
I will never understand that mentality of having to ride in freezing cold weather to what? Just prove something?

Hell; I am 65, got a few years left, & I live in Florida. And STILL I'll be damned if I'm gonna be uncomfortable just to prove something. When it is cold here (yes, it gets cold occasionally here, like high in the 50s) I jump in the car or truck, with heat, CD player, & coffee. Some call me a wuss. But I can tell you...my neighborhood is completely deserted when it's 96 degrees here; most people can't take the heat; yet I'll be out mowing my lawn & loving it. So; who's a wuss NOW?
Its not to prove anything. I like riding and it gives me time to clear my head. We have had heavy rain in the north east for the past few years. If I add up rain days and less than comfortable cold days I would only ride a few weekends a year.

The following users liked this post:
bentparts (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 11:49 AM
wizardfitznq
Cruiser
Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricekj
Its not to prove anything. I like riding and it gives me time to clear my head. We have had heavy rain in the north east for the past few years. If I add up rain days and less than comfortable cold days I would only ride a few weekends a year.
Same with me
I'm in Indiana, I drive a semi almost 12 hrs a day in city traffic( local P&D) so getting on the bike at the end of the day clears my head and lets me blow off some stream. That's why there are leathers and heated gloves.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:50 AM
moparnut72
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I have a Slim S too and I have had starting problems. When new it would barely turn over for the first couple of revolutions. Turns out I got a recall as the ACR's hadn't been activated. Got a reflash, problem kinda solved. In the winter still cranked hard, I went to a lighter oil but it didn't help much, some but not that much. A couple of months ago I put a 500 CCA Throttle X battery in the bike. All good now. This battery wasn't very expensive and shipped free. I am not ready for AGM's and don't want anything to do with Lithium yet either. YRMV
kk

Old 03-21-2019, 01:00 PM
Ricekj
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by moparnut72
I have a Slim S too and I have had starting problems. When new it would barely turn over for the first couple of revolutions. Turns out I got a recall as the ACR's hadn't been activated. Got a reflash, problem kinda solved. In the winter still cranked hard, I went to a lighter oil but it didn't help much, some but not that much. A couple of months ago I put a 500 CCA Throttle X battery in the bike. All good now. This battery wasn't very expensive and shipped free. I am not ready for AGM's and don't want anything to do with Lithium yet either. YRMV
kk
Thank you for the info! and I will def check into the ACR's! I have a vance and hines FP3 program flashed into the bike so maybe when it flashed my computer that was deactivated.....

Quick Reply: Hard starting in the winter......