General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard starting in the winter......

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 03:19 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Go into the FP3 to view/edit maps, select the one highlighted in blue, then scroll down to system/switches and the ACR's will be in there.

The following users liked this post:
Ricekj (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 03:50 PM
Ricekj
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Go into the FP3 to view/edit maps, select the one highlighted in blue, then scroll down to system/switches and the ACR's will be in there.
going to check as soon as i get home !!!!!!!! Thank you!

Old 03-22-2019, 08:52 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,658 Likes on 945 Posts

Well young man from Florida, I live in Pa so we must deal with the weather, I like to ride and do about 15 to 20000 miles a year. and about 5000 of that is in cold weather. To me its nice to feel the cold in my face
< unlike Florida when its 40 outside everyone runs inside. Will be leaving for Florida in a few weeks yes ridding down from Pa, I do this every winter I'm coming late this year, can only take Florida two to three weeks after that I am board to death of them flat straight roads. By the way I'm 71 young man
Originally Posted by dickey
I will never understand that mentality of having to ride in freezing cold weather to what? Just prove something?

Hell; I am 65, got a few years left, & I live in Florida. And STILL I'll be damned if I'm gonna be uncomfortable just to prove something. When it is cold here (yes, it gets cold occasionally here, like high in the 50s) I jump in the car or truck, with heat, CD player, & coffee. Some call me a wuss. But I can tell you...my neighborhood is completely deserted when it's 96 degrees here; most people can't take the heat; yet I'll be out mowing my lawn & loving it. So; who's a wuss NOW?

The following 2 users liked this post by touchdown:
5wheels (03-22-2019), kap1 (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 09:09 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

Harley recommends using 10/40 wt oil in the motor when the temp is under 40f. That would be the first thing I would change. Second is, load test the battery and make sure it's got some life left in it. Making sure all the battery wiring is clean and tight will only help to get it started.,,

Old 03-22-2019, 10:07 AM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,240 Likes on 8,511 Posts

I will never understand that mentality of having to ride in freezing cold weather to what? Just prove something?

Hell; I am 65, got a few years left, & I live in Florida. And STILL I'll be damned if I'm gonna be uncomfortable just to prove something. When it is cold here (yes, it gets cold occasionally here, like high in the 50s) I jump in the car or truck, with heat, CD player, & coffee. Some call me a wuss. But I can tell you...my neighborhood is completely deserted when it's 96 degrees here; most people can't take the heat; yet I'll be out mowing my lawn & loving it. So; who's a wuss NOW?
I’ll take Wuss in Florida for $200 Alex

Old 03-22-2019, 11:02 AM
MilsurpShooter
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 17,796 Likes on 6,366 Posts

*cough* sorry, high 50's cold just got me offguard. That's perfect riding weather for me.(personal preferences may vary) Cold weather riding is about 38, but then I try not to go highway due to windchill. Anything under 32 is when it's too cold for the Bike. But, to your point, it's not to prove a single thing. It's because it's necessity. If I waited around here for "Perfect" weather days and only took the bike out then? I'd be lucky to have 1,000 miles on my bike. So if we want any amount of appreciable time before old man winter decides to say "Nope" we have to go out on days that might be disagreeable to others.

The following users liked this post:
touchdown (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 01:38 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,571 Likes on 9,799 Posts

If its 50, it feeels like 30 when riding. I always subtract 20 for wind chill. And yeah I wont ride in uncomfortable weather either, it just isnt fun, Now I know we all have our opinions on what is comfortable weather. for me the sun has to be shining before i even lkeave, gray/overcats, I just am not feeling it, that and low visibility from cagers on gray days, i dunno. I always factor in safety and weather conditions...

Old 03-22-2019, 10:03 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

I have a 17 Lowrider S, has the 110 as well. Seems to struggle starting when its below 38 or so. Not enough cold cranking amps. The dealer mentioned there are now Lithum batteries available but are over $200.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:15 PM
moparnut72
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

For my Slim S I bought a 500 CCA Throttle X battery. It was a big help and it was I think $129 direct to my door. Cheap for the benefits of better starting. I think the reduced strain on the starter was well worth the money.
kk

Old 03-26-2019, 07:46 AM
Ricekj
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Update: I checked that the ACR's were toggled on for the flash. I will be buying a battery with higher cranking amps shortly. Thank you everyone for all the tips!

Quick Reply: Hard starting in the winter......