General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

As promised, an MSF course recap

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 10:55 PM
scooterbooter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default As promised, an MSF course recap

I hope this helps someone thinking about taking a MSF course, I know I wanted to know lots before I took mine. I tried to post this last night and firefox crashed, so hopefully I don't lose this again.

Right. I took the Harley Rider's Edge course in Baton Rouge, LA. I was supposed to take the LA Dept. of Education MSF course, but it got cancelled due to Hurricane Rita, and then they suspended all the MSF courses in the state until next year. That would have cost $100 and been on a 250cc Honda Rebel. The Riders Edge cost $275 and was taken on a 492cc Buell Blast.
The Rider's Edge IS the MSF course, they just take it a little slower and throw in a few 'extra's' which if you are thinking about taking it, really are so not worth paying a premium for. JMHO. Having said that, the course I took was fabulous and the instructors rocked and I'm so glad I took it.

So, nitty gritty time. The course was 5 days long. Thursday, and Friday evening, then all day Saturday and Sunday and then Monday evening. I'm going to try and give a short recap to give those that have never taken a course an idea of what was involved.

Thursday evening -
Started off getting to know the other 11 people on the course with me. It was a very good mix of people, a few had never ridden, or only as pillion, some had ridden years ago - like myself, although most of them had dirt bike experience. I think I was the only moped rider there [8D]. Some already had bikes and had a little bit of experience, and there was one guy who turned up on his Electra Glide, who had been riding for the better part of 40 years or so, but had always wanted to take the safety course. There were 4 girls on my course (including myself). Our instructor, rocked (I may say this several times!) He was a full time motorcycle instructor, spending his days training the Baton Rouge motorcycle cops. He said that they were one of the original MSF dealership courses, before Rider's Edge existed, and they built the Rider's Edge scheme around what they were doing at the time. I was highly impressed.
After a getting to know you session, we started on working through the questions in the back of the MSF course book - which can be looked at online at http://www.msf-usa.org/CurriculumMat...dbk_2005v6.pdf
The dealership had already sent us this book with our registration details, and told us to do all the questions as 'homework' which most of the class had done. It was very a relaxed and laid back atmosphere and they use videos to explain some of the important points that you learn. The dealership provided snacks and drinks (which I know the DOE course doesn't do), and there were also 'road books' given out, provided by H-D, which are supposed to be like a journal for recording thoughts and has some little tips and information for the new rider. It was a nice touch.

Friday evening -
Started off with a tour around the dealership, which was quite frankly boring. Included a tour of the service department, but since hell would have to freeze over and turn into a margarita before I'd take my bike back to that dealer (long long story of very shitty service), it was pointless for me anyway. After that they showed us around the showroom and took photos of us on any bike we wanted. Had the whole dealership to ourselves, it was like a Harley salesfest. I guess for those till looking to buy it gave them a good chance to sit on all the bikes and see what they felt like, but I already had my bike, so I tried not to look too miserable. After that pointless hour, we went back to the classroom, for more videos and question answering, and the dealership laid on sandwiches, drinks and snacks.

Saturday -
All day on the range. It was murderously hot, but kudos to the dealer, they provided iced bottle water for both days on the range. If your course doesn't take something to drink. Riding around really drys you out.
Buell Blasts, hmmmn. I'm sure in another life those bik

Old 10-25-2005, 11:53 PM
hd2000
Tourer
Default RE: As promised, an MSF course recap

Hey man. I took that same class in baton rouge. I enjoyed it. Who where your instructors?

Old 10-26-2005, 12:04 AM
scooterbooter
Tourer

Carl Dabadie and Al Carven were my instructors. They were bloody marvellous too!

Its a small world ain't it? [8D]

Old 10-26-2005, 02:19 AM
oldrookie
Cruiser

scooterbooter,

Thanks a lot for your course recap. That helps me out quite a bit with my planning. I'm glad you enjoyed the course.

Old 10-26-2005, 11:57 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Scooterbooter,

Thnax, for your story and I loved the part where, "hell would have to freeze over and turn into a margarita." Make mine a double!

Old 10-26-2005, 06:43 PM
ThudMeister
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been riding since 1969, even Hawaii and Europe, but when I moved to California I was into motocross, flat track and desert racing so I never got my California endorcement for motorcycles. A few years back with gas prices soaring and traffic getting much worse I decided to get a bike to commute with. After 6 months of the DMV canceling my road course test for really lame reasons, I finally took a CHP course from Palomar College. They can even teach old farts new tricks and bring you up to speed on all the latest laws and MC technology.

I had to crack up on graduation day when our instructor said "Congradulations, you are now qualified to ride a motorcycle in the parking lot" For some of the students that was very true, but the class was great and all I had to do was shove that piece of paper in the DMV's face and tell them to give me my license.

They have advanced classes too and I may go back for more someday when I find the time.

Old 10-26-2005, 08:22 PM
harleybiker
Tourer

Great write-up to what seemed like a rewarding few days. I took the MSF course in PA. and the instructors were great and the techniques also were top notch. They taught us very well and I'm now completing my first season of riding my 05 Harley Softail Deluxe.
Ride safe and again thanks to a great piece.

hb

Old 10-31-2005, 08:55 AM
BikerInTheDesert
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great class review. I took that course a while back as a refresher, and it was great for me, allowed me to learn about a few things I was doing wrong, and in some cases just tighten up my skillset. I certainly recommend it for any new riders.

Old 10-31-2005, 10:44 AM
05Dynachic
Outstanding HDF Member

I took the MSF course here in Novato, CA. Ditto on them being great instructors, Ditto on dumping the bike... twice, ditto on breaking my foot. But, I finished the course. In the rain...... and passed. I may retake it again to brush up.... But its a good thing to do.