General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used bike prices at dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 09:37 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
1st - Stealership is the most overused word on this forum. Don't beshmirch someone for making money - besmirch the moron who pays it. Dealers are allowed to earn a living just like you and I. And no, I am not a bike/car dealer..

Honestly, 10% over private market at any dealership is acceptable. A dealer has work to do and hoops to jump thru to clear the bike for sale and ready the bike. I'll pay this for the peace of mind. I have also gotten GREAT deals on used rides at my dealer. If you dont pay it, they wont sell it.. The bullshit fees - what are they? There is no prep or shipping on a used bike. 175.00 for DMV is about right. Anything else is a negotiation away..

Maybe Im lucky, I have a great dealer.
Your post is right on. I too get turned off by the "stealership" label too. It does nothing to boost anybody's credibility who uses it.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:19 AM
Cogswell
Road Captain
Received 261 Likes on 126 Posts

When I was shopping bikes at this time last year I noticed a trend of used bikes at the dealers. It seemed they stared pricing about $1k over retail blue book price. Claimed "reconditioning" costs and other fees.....

Old 03-31-2019, 10:45 AM
m1369x
Road Warrior
Received 675 Likes on 381 Posts

A year ago last February I walked into a dealer ship looked at there used line up , Went home and looked Kelly & NADA value on line for the one that caught my eye ('07 near stock) , They were asking $1.500.oo over the higher , Called and offered the sales guy the Kelly (highest of the 2) high value . Naturally he had to run it by his Mgr. and would call me back in 15 , When he did call it was to play 20 questions (run my credit , I could have told him it was 815) , An hour later the sales mgr. called me and informed me I couldn't find a better deal any where ,
2 weeks later I'd cut a deal over the phone for a different bike 280 miles south , I told the guy I'd be there about noon tomorrow and either buy the bike or cuss him as I walked out the door , After checking out the bike I wrote a check for it and another $800.oo in extras , And I'm happy with the bike today , Dillon Bro. H-D Fremont NE.
And the dealer that turned down my offer on the '07 still calls me and invites me to there weekend socials to look at bikes (just what I want . let them fill me full of beer and sell me a bike)

The following users liked this post:
mitchxout (03-31-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 12:12 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by pgrchaplain
We have 2 Independents in the area. They get motorcycles by the semi truck load. Their prices are always thousands less than the dealers locally.they have several 2018 Ultra Limited's, take your pic $21,995, 2018 Heritage Classic, $13,995. Dealers prices on used Bikes here is Outrageous.
Can you put up the web sites for.people to look at. Might find more people for them.

Old 03-31-2019, 01:48 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 609 Posts

Whenever I buy a new bike, I price comparison shop multiple dealers - even some appropriately named Stealerships - be that as it may. I never cease to be amazed at the wide disparity in pricing.

Used bikes abound but despite the fact that a creditworthy buyer can finance a private transaction - it is not as seemless as at a dealership; they know that and exploit it. They also typically make a vig on the financing as well.

Old 03-31-2019, 03:56 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

The one stealerahip by work that I go to once in a while to see why they have. The used shows prices only in the winter time. Sometimes they have a really good deal, and the bike right next to it I am like what are you smoking. To a point that I want to ask the guy what is he smokin!

Old 03-31-2019, 05:10 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,513 Likes on 6,885 Posts

Some Motorsports places do consignment sales. I was just browsing the inventory one day in 2016 at a dealer and saw a used 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 on the floor looking almost new with 1,500 miles on her. I was wanting a FJ-09 and figured I would pick one up on Craigslist reasonable in a couple of years after they came out (I buy, fix, ride, and then sell after a few year as a hobby), but this one was pretty clean. It had a consignment sale tag with price on it and I asked the dealer about it.

The price was about what you would expect at the KBB high end resale value; however, I asked about making an offer, they said go ahead and they would contact the owner to see if he was willing to take a lower offer. So I gave a low offer about what the trade in value would be and the owner took it. Cheaper than what I could buy off Craigslist at the time. Dealer did the paperwork ($175 for tag & title) I paid the PA tax, owner paid the commission fee and everyone was happy.

Found out the guy who had it lived about 20 miles from me, he had a Harley and sold it, bought the FJ-09 rode it for a couple of months but did not like it. He went and bought another Harley (CVO) and then put the FJ-09 on consignment sale. Guess the guy did not have money issues.

Sometimes dealers have good deals and you can make good deals. I just sort of fell into this one (right time, right place), but that is how it goes, the best time to buy a vehicle is when you do not need one.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:59 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Gee,I get it, it's a PROFIT thing!!

Old 03-31-2019, 07:00 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,163 Likes on 6,216 Posts

They will sell bikes for the most money that someone is willing to pay. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. They can slap a million dollar price tag on it if they want.

They determine that the price is too high by how long it sits on the sales floor.

You should have seen the insanity of the 90's, both new and used prices.

Private party, word of mouth, ad in the local paper, and sometimes eBay is where you are going to get a good deal.

On this forum, you will get an average deal usually. Sometimes a guy lists his bike and sets a price based on adding up the receipts for all his purchases. Other times somebody sets a realistic price. Other times a guy might have health issues or something and prices his bike below market value for a quick sale.

I still say the best value currently is usually a mid 90's Evo which can be had from $3,500 to $5,500. That leaves a lot of money leftover to fix or refresh anything that might be wrong and still have money for upgrades and customizations.

I think you should be on the look out for a Tour Glide. I tried one out before and it was a lot better than I expected it to be.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:39 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
They will sell bikes for the most money that someone is willing to pay. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. They can slap a million dollar price tag on it if they want.

They determine that the price is too high by how long it sits on the sales floor.

You should have seen the insanity of the 90's, both new and used prices.

Private party, word of mouth, ad in the local paper, and sometimes eBay is where you are going to get a good deal.

On this forum, you will get an average deal usually. Sometimes a guy lists his bike and sets a price based on adding up the receipts for all his purchases. Other times somebody sets a realistic price. Other times a guy might have health issues or something and prices his bike below market value for a quick sale.

I still say the best value currently is usually a mid 90's Evo which can be had from $3,500 to $5,500. That leaves a lot of money leftover to fix or refresh anything that might be wrong and still have money for upgrades and customizations.

I think you should be on the look out for a Tour Glide. I tried one out before and it was a lot better than I expected it to be.
Um, I have an Evo, but thanks...

Apparently I'm in the minority here. Everything I'm talking about is BEFORE taxes and title fees. You never see such a disparity in the automotive sector of sales between dealerships and the private market.

Y'all have fun paying $500 for an oil change even though the place probably gave someone $10K for their 14 SGS on trade for a new Limited... But they're not making enough money.

How's the old saying go, "A fool and his money are soon departed"

Quick Reply: Used bike prices at dealerships