General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used bike prices at dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 10:14 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,172 Likes on 6,217 Posts

One can never have enough Evo's

Old 04-01-2019, 09:25 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

People in ANY vehicle business are in it to make a nice living . They negotiate to buy low and sell high (some call this stealing). Either way if you don't like their numbers you can go elsewhere. Shop around. It's called free choice. A smart buyer does their homework. It's known as EDUCATION. It takes a little time and effort. But it removes the mystery behind pricing. Or you can skip all that and hope to find someone who feels sorry for you and accepts anything you offer.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:05 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,497 Likes on 786 Posts

Originally Posted by Bingee
People in ANY vehicle business are in it to make a nice living . They negotiate to buy low and sell high (some call this stealing).
Just remember when a dealership does this, it's considered highway robbery. But when a private party does it, somehow considered "maximizing the return of your investment", as if they're doing something different from a dealer.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:26 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

not sure why some people think if you buy from a dealer your getting a bike that has no issues. Those guys dont do **** in my opinion when they take in a used bike. Im not even sure they check the oil. When you buy a bike from someone off CL at least you have someone that knows the history of the bike, you just gotta spend some time looking for not just the right bike, but the right seller.

The following users liked this post:
Mattbastard (04-01-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 10:28 AM
highwayman50
Stellar HDF Member
Received 965 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
One can never have enough Evo's
In the immortal words of Larry the cable guy, "that's funny right there, I don't care who you are"

Old 04-01-2019, 10:37 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRR
A buyer can get financing from his bank to buy a used motorcycle from a private seller on CL. Also, Harley has a program that TSherif told me about. In that program, Harley will finance a private party sale.If a buyer has good credit, they can get financing.

Not only that, but for bikes that qualify for Harley financing (or probably financing from any bank) I am sure that Harley will sell an extended warrany.

So really, a private buyer can get almost anything that the dealer would have provided if the Dealer sold the bike.
My guess is those that get a loan from thier dealerships dont know the smartest thing to do is to get a loan from thier local credit union instead, that way you can walk in with the check in hand and you dont rely on thier financing. If you dont think that gives you bargaining power then you dont get it. No matter how low of a rate you think your getting from harley when you take thier financing, you just threw any bargaining power you had out the door, which well makes up for thier "low" financing rate. Thats just financing 101, always bring in your own money if you can.

Last edited by saltlick; 04-01-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:21 PM
highwayman50
Stellar HDF Member
Received 965 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by saltlick
My guess is those that get a loan from thier dealerships dont know the smartest thing to do is to get a loan from thier local credit union instead, that way you can walk in with the check in hand and you dont rely on thier financing. If you dont think that gives you bargaining power then you dont get it. No matter how low of a rate you think your getting from harley when you take thier financing, you just threw any bargaining power you had out the door, which well makes up for thier "low" financing rate. Thats just financing 101, always bring in your own money if you can.
Really. The way I do it....I discuss the purchase price until i am either good with it, or I'm not. If I'm good, then and only then do i discuss financing, and i go with my best options. I have gotten 1.99% from the dealer before. My cu didn't come close to that. Many different ways to skin a cat.
I think the biggest factor by far....ones credit score, couple that with a good downpayment and your golden.

Last edited by highwayman50; 04-01-2019 at 02:36 PM.