Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Used bike prices at dealerships (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1277356-used-bike-prices-at-dealerships.html)

Mattbastard 03-30-2019 08:14 PM

Used bike prices at dealerships

Being in the market for a bike recently I've taken a keen interest in what dealerships have to offer, both used and new. New bikes are often WAY more than I'm willing to spend. Over $30K OTD for a Road Glide Special? Come on... The only Touring bike I can stomach is the new EGS.

Then I check out the used bikes. HOLY CRAP!!! Where do they get off asking $17K for a 20,000 mile 14 Street Glide? 15 RGS with 18K miles and a crooked fairing and a bunch of corrosion for $18K?

Seriously, comparables in the private market are a good 10% less than what a dealership would list a bike for. And to ice the cake I'm sure the "stealership" would try tacking on some bullshit dealer fees onto any used bike.

Anyone else seeing this in their locale?

Brewmany 03-30-2019 08:33 PM

Really? You have just now noticed that bikes cost more at dealerships than from private listings?
This didn't just start happening last week. ...

Ever consider that these evil "Stealerships" have overhead to cover that a private seller does not, and then they have the nerve to try and make a profit?

You are free to avoid these profit seekers....

HiDrag 03-30-2019 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mattbastard (Post 18146322)
Being in the market for a bike recently I've taken a keen interest in what dealerships have to offer, both used and new.

Then I check out the used bikes. HOLY CRAP!!! Where do they get off asking $17K for a 20,000 mile 14 Street Glide? 1
Anyone else seeing this in their locale?

DUH!

Really, you are actually ASKING if someone has seen goofy pricing for a used bike?

QC 03-30-2019 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by HiDrag (Post 18146364)
DUH!

Really, you are actually ASKING if someone has seen goofy pricing for a used bike?

It isn't just at the dealerships, either. Crackheads on Craigslist are regular fodder in here for crazy prices on used "gems."

Mmmhoss 03-30-2019 09:12 PM

Craigslist around is insane.
Makes you wonder about some people.
Dealerships are supposed to be bad.

heritageblue2013 03-30-2019 09:20 PM

Dealerships can price high due to people being broke with no cash in pocket.

But then the dealer comes to the rescue of the broke no cash in pocket person with financing.

Broke person buys on emotion and can not believe his dream is coming true.

Dealer can not believe their dreams of charging 23 percent interest on a loan, and its a used bike to boot !

Everyone is happy !

Now, any question why dealers are charging such high prices on used bikes?

Ron750 03-30-2019 09:29 PM

I see people on Craigslist, and even here on HDForums asking more than the dealers.

When I was looking for my bike in 2011, the Harley Davidson website had a good search engine where you could compare dealers nationwide. A few years ago they got rid of that, making it harder to search HD dealers. I think they screwed themselves, now I use Cycletrader or Craigslist. Its much more frustrating.

BobRR 03-30-2019 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013 (Post 18146434)
Dealerships can price high due to people being broke with no cash in pocket.

But then the dealer comes to the rescue of the broke no cash in pocket person with financing.

Dealer can not believe their dreams of charging 23 percent interest on a loan, and its a used bike to boot !

Everyone is happy !

Now, any question why dealers are charging such high prices on used bikes?

A buyer can get financing from his bank to buy a used motorcycle from a private seller on CL. Also, Harley has a program that TSherif told me about. In that program, Harley will finance a private party sale.If a buyer has good credit, they can get financing.

Not only that, but for bikes that qualify for Harley financing (or probably financing from any bank) I am sure that Harley will sell an extended warrany.

So really, a private buyer can get almost anything that the dealer would have provided if the Dealer sold the bike.

anthony_b. 03-30-2019 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013 (Post 18146434)

Everyone is happy !

.....even happier is Mr. Repo who is winching the bike onto the back of his rollback after broke dreamer misses 2nd payment.

pgrchaplain 03-30-2019 10:10 PM

We have 2 Independents in the area. They get motorcycles by the semi truck load. Their prices are always thousands less than the dealers locally.they have several 2018 Ultra Limited's, take your pic $21,995, 2018 Heritage Classic, $13,995. Dealers prices on used Bikes here is Outrageous.