General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softail slim vs street bob

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 01:17 PM
cfiegehen
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default softail slim vs street bob

Hello, all and thanks for the add.new to Harley and trying to pick between 2016Softail Slim and 2017Street bob. I will be adding saddle bags for and some king of fairing for touring any advice or help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance
C

Old 04-03-2019, 10:04 AM
ehummelman
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want saddle bags and a fairing, you're looking at the wrong bikes. IMO, both will look stupid that way and you'll spend countless $ trying to get them to fit right. Just get a bike with that stuff already like a street glide or similar.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:23 AM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 44,494 Likes on 16,318 Posts

I have a 16 Softail Slim S. I like it quite a bit for short trips. I gets a bit buzzy at highway speeds for long rides. By buzzy I mean you feel a vibration in your hands & feet that will cause them to go numb. I think it must be something to do with the counter balanced motor. It's smooth at idle and lower speeds.

Anyway this pic is not mine but looks to be a good setup. I do have the HD smoke windshield.

Last edited by Walter White; 04-03-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:25 AM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 44,494 Likes on 16,318 Posts
Old 04-03-2019, 01:58 PM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter
Received 228 Likes on 149 Posts

The Street Bob is an urban cruiser and you won't like it as even a limited touring bike. Personally, I think the Slim is a great bike, but adding a fairing and bags will not be a good look. If you will be riding solo and in not too cold of weather and not for extended distances, you may want to consider a Superlow 1200T. It already has the saddle bags, an effective windscreen and mini foot boards. Plus, with just a Stage 1 conversion, it has all of the power you need to keep up with anyone--as log as you ride solo. If you ride two-up, I agree with the advice of others; look at getting one of the Softails already set up with bags and for touring. If you are will be spending most of your time on the road touring, you will definitely find a larger, more comfortable bike. Good luck.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:22 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

If you can't do a Road King then get the Street Bob.

The following users liked this post:
Dirty Bob (01-18-2021)
Old 04-05-2019, 08:51 AM
ehummelman
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter White
I have a 16 Softail Slim S. I like it quite a bit for short trips. I gets a bit buzzy at highway speeds for long rides. By buzzy I mean you feel a vibration in your hands & feet that will cause them to go numb. I think it must be something to do with the counter balanced motor. It's smooth at idle and lower speeds.

Anyway this pic is not mine but looks to be a good setup. I do have the HD smoke windshield.

Well, I must say I stand partially corrected. That particular bike doesn't look stupid. However, for the money they spent on getting all that put on there (including the front fender), it still wouldn't be worth it to me. More importantly, to your point about the Slim being buzzy, I always got numb fingertips too after riding a while. Just put on new grips, and VOILA, no more buzzy feeling. The stock Harley grips, much like the stock seat, are total garbage. I put on the Avon air cushion with throttle assist and they are super comfortable. Might be worth the $75 for you.

Walter White (04-05-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 02:36 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,515 Likes on 804 Posts

I've done numerous enjoyable multi day tours on my Street Bob with no problems. I have a quick release windshield and a detachable sissybar/rack combo. I don't care for saddle bags so I use a t-bar type bag for luggage. Many of these trips involved camping and I had no problems carrying everything I needed. I'm a solo rider, these trips were not two up. My wife rides her own bike. When I'm not touring, all that stuff comes off in a matter of seconds.

I usually average 400 to 450 miles a day but I have done 800 mile days three different times. Once again, no problems.

I like the looks of the Slim but after three different test rides I couldn't bring myself to buy one. I was dragging the footboards when cornering even on the lame-*** speed controlled salesman lead test ride. I figured it would be worse when I rode at my preferred pace.

Good luck whatever you do.

s-glide76 (01-18-2021)
Old 04-06-2019, 02:43 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,163 Likes on 6,216 Posts

A Heritage Softail Classic is set up like you want right of the box.

The following 2 users liked this post by Prot:
bklynbob (01-18-2021), s-glide76 (01-18-2021)
Old 04-06-2019, 03:34 AM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Hilarious that people think you can't tour on these bikes. I toured all over the country on my '18 Breakout last year and had a great time, and this year i'll be doing the same with my Low Rider S. You can tour on anything.

The following 4 users liked this post by Mark Faulkner:
back again (01-17-2021), Crazy (04-06-2019), s-glide76 (01-18-2021), VAFish (01-20-2021)

Quick Reply: softail slim vs street bob