General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for new action cam that doesn't do fisheye!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 11:21 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts
Default Looking for new action cam that doesn't do fisheye!

I've used Gopros for many years and they are great but when filming my wife or friends riding ahead of me they look like they're 100 yards away even though they are actually quite close. Any of you using a camera that has a normal flat type view instead of wide angle like the Gopro? A big plus would be one that uses the Gopro mounts as well. Cheap, expensive, makes no real difference as long as it works well and has decent video quality.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:40 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Which GoPro? What resolution are you using?

Old 04-07-2019, 11:44 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Which GoPro? What resolution are you using?
I'm using older Hero 3 Silvers that I've had for several years. I want a camera that does not film in wide angle for when I'm filming others riding. I like the wide angle for filming otherwise to capture scenery and such and the Hero 3 still does fine for me in that roll.

Last edited by tnriverluver; 04-07-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:35 PM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,224 Likes on 706 Posts

So far the only sport type camera I have found with a regular lens as in little to no fish eye, is the Mobius Standard Camera. (lens A)

The A lens is narrow fov of I believe around 80 degrees, B lens I believe is about 120 degree wide angle fov and the C lens is 131 degree wide angle fov. With the V3 C lens you can select a narrow or wide angle fov in the software and set it as one of the two mode profiles on the camera.

It is a very simple camera and the options are limited but useful. You will need to use your computer for the programing. The bad thing is, it is not anywhere near similar in shape to use any of the GoPro mounts.

To view and/or purchase:
Amazon Amazon

Personally I dislike any camera that uses the fish eye wide angle lens. If I'm taking a picture, I want straight lines vertically and horizontally, especially when I am doing any aerial photography. I want the picture to turn out how I see something and I don't have fish eyes!

Last edited by Bonnie Storm; 04-07-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:04 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bonnie Storm
So far the only sport type camera I have found with a regular lens as in little to no fish eye, is the Mobius Standard Camera. (lens A)

The A lens is narrow fov of I believe around 80 degrees, B lens I believe is about 120 degree wide angle fov and the C lens is 131 degree wide angle fov. With the V3 C lens you can select a narrow or wide angle fov in the software and set it as one of the two mode profiles on the camera.

It is a very simple camera and the options are limited but useful. You will need to use your computer for the programing. The bad thing is, it is not anywhere near similar in shape to use any of the GoPro mounts.

To view and/or purchase:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

Personally I dislike any camera that uses the fish eye wide angle lens. If I'm taking a picture, I want straight lines vertically and horizontally, especially when I am doing any aerial photography. I want the picture to turn out how I see something and I don't have fish eyes!
Yeah that Mobius won't cut it for my needs which might be upwards of 2 hours of continuous filming. What I'm looking for might not exist.

I might have to go back to my old ways before action cams lmao

Last edited by tnriverluver; 04-07-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:23 PM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 205 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by tnriverluver
Yeah that Mobius won't cut it for my needs which might be upwards of 2 hours of continuous filming. What I'm looking for might not exist.

I might have to go back to my old ways before action cams lmao
You mean get the old Wing out....lol

Old 04-07-2019, 01:28 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

The GoPro Hero3 does not have settings to control the FOV, so you're stuck with some fisheye. Starting with the Hero5, there are settings for FOV - Narrow, Linear, Medium, Wide and Superview (the widest). You need to move up to at least the Hero5 if you want to have control over FOV settings and to control the amount of fisheye.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:36 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
The GoPro Hero3 does not have settings to control the FOV, so you're stuck with some fisheye. Starting with the Hero5, there are settings for FOV - Narrow, Linear, Medium, Wide and Superview (the widest). You need to move up to at least the Hero5 if you want to have control over FOV settings and to control the amount of fisheye.
Cool thanks! Wasn't aware the newer Gopros had that option when filming. The Hero 3 has narrow and wide settings but not when filming in 720/60 or 1080. Mainly for stills from what I can tell. I do like the stabilization feature on the new Gopros and others that the old 3's do not have.

Last edited by tnriverluver; 04-07-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:41 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by painey
You mean get the old Wing out....lol
Hey don't knock the old Wing! Damn smooth video platform!!!!

Old 04-07-2019, 02:12 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by tnriverluver
Cool thanks! Wasn't aware the newer Gopros had that option when filming. The Hero 3 has narrow and wide settings but not when filming in 720/60 or 1080. Mainly for stills from what I can tell. I do like the stabilization feature on the new Gopros and others that the old 3's do not have.
If you already have the mounting attachments, they will work with the newer GoPros. The GoPro Hero 5 to 7 models don't come with a waterproof housing like the Hero 3 and 4 because they are already waterproof. You won't be disappointed. I really like my Hero6, but I'm still leaning how to use it.

Quick Reply: Looking for new action cam that doesn't do fisheye!