General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torx or not to torx ?....that is the question

Old 04-09-2019, 07:49 PM
jimmy z
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Torx or not to torx ?....that is the question

I recently changed the oil and transmission fluid on my 13 HSC.I just used a socket wrench to tighten the bolts.I didn't gorilla them tight,just hand tight enough (IMO) without crushing the O ring or destroying the threads (I hope) No leaks so far.I have a torx wrench,but have never used it.
I know the right thing to do is "learn how to use the damn torx".But how many people here still just hand tighten and feel it's ok as opposed to using a torx wrench ? Thanks in advanced

Old 04-09-2019, 07:51 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

I’m pretty sure you mean torque wrench. And I use them on everything. I have two foot pounds torque wrenches and an inch pounds torque wrench. If it has a torque spec listed in my service manual, it gets the proper torque spec.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:54 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,319 Likes on 6,833 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmy z
I recently changed the oil and transmission fluid on my 13 HSC.I just used a socket wrench to tighten the bolts.I didn't gorilla them tight,just hand tight enough (IMO) without crushing the O ring or destroying the threads (I hope) No leaks so far.I have a torx wrench,but have never used it.
I know the right thing to do is "learn how to use the damn torx".But how many people here still just hand tighten and feel it's ok as opposed to using a torx wrench ? Thanks in advanced
Torx wrench or Torque wrench? Torx is a type of fastener and Torque is something you apply force with. Just wondering as I am confused.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:57 PM
josame
Road Master
Received 286 Likes on 161 Posts

If you are talking about the drain plugs they don't have to be much more than snug. It's a good place to be careful, to be honest I don't like using a torque wrench on my drain plugs.

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (04-09-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 07:57 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

I have three torque wrenches. But I do not use them on torx 27 on primary or inspect covers. If they were to leak, not like it would be a big deal. I do use a torque wrench on tranny and engine oil drain plugs, which is what it sounds like you just changed.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:58 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by josame
I to be honest I don't like using a torque wrench on my drain plugs.
Why? I can understand if you believe it is not needed. But you have a dislike for it. I use one anything that lists it manual. If I don't find it, I realize it is not rocket surgery.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:03 PM
jimmy z
Road Captain

I meant "torque"....sorry gents.And thanks for the quick replies.And if I may,what size torque wrench size should I use for the three drain plugs ? Thank you

Old 04-09-2019, 08:11 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,508 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmy z
I meant "torque"....sorry gents.And thanks for the quick replies.And if I may,what size torque wrench size should I use for the three drain plugs ? Thank you
Whatever size wrench matches both the socket and the torque value specified in your service manual...

Old 04-09-2019, 08:16 PM
jimmy z
Road Captain

I looked on YouTube to learn how to use one,and read the directions.I guess I'm just apprehensive about using one on the bike.Dont want to f**k up anything.And would really like to use a good tool

Old 04-09-2019, 08:20 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,178 Likes on 2,449 Posts

seeing as how you are inexperienced, the biggest piece of advice i can give you is to make sure that the majority of your torque values will fall somewhere in the middle of the capabilities of your wrench. too close to minimum value or too close to maximum value and the wrench will have a larger margin of calibration error.

AND..... this is the big one. DO NOT confuse inch pounds with foot pounds. there is a huge difference between 12 inch pounds and 12 foot pounds.

The following users liked this post:
Death Valley Ultra (04-10-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Torx or not to torx ?....that is the question