General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My experience with Mean City Cycles

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 01:35 PM
PopsHD
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts
Default My experience with Mean City Cycles

This was my first experience with MCC. I've seen great reviews about their work, quality and service. I wanted to give them a try and have my stock OEM seat on my '14 Limited modified with their drivers double decker memory foam mod. I also wanted to keep the passenger seat stock. I wanted to maintain stock height and position. My seat has a cover from Blackbird Customs. Nothing else on the seat has been modified. So I emailed with Lori asking some questions and she asked for my phone number and she would give me a call to discuss.

Fast forward to today. I get a call from Amanda, who informed me she was helping Lori. She asked some questions and I told her what I had and what I wanted. She asked me to text her a pic of my seat so they could look at it and make a determination if the double decker mod could be done with my Blackbird Customs cover. That's was my first eyebrow raise. I was curious how they could tell if a seat cover will work with a mod just by seeing a pic of my seat. As it turns out, they wanted to see if my seat had been modified. It hasn't. Still has stock foam, seat pan, nothing has been added or removed. The only thing not stock is the Blackbird Customs cover. And Chris at Blackbird Customs says his covers will only fit a stock, non-modified seat, which I can attest too.

I send the attached pics to Amanda at MCC and immediately received a return call that someone in the shop says it looks like my seat has been modified and that they would not be able to do the double decker mod on a previously modified seat. I don't know if it's a case of where they don't want to work on my seat or if they just want to sell me their own cover.

Out of curiosity, does it look like to you all that my seat has been modified? Based on my experience, I will never be able to give a review of MCC's work. I am somewhat offended, as they obviously don't think I am being honest about my seat.

Attached Thumbnails My experience with Mean City Cycles-photo278.jpg   My experience with Mean City Cycles-photo233.jpg  

Last edited by PopsHD; 04-10-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:56 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

They're the experts. But I guess you know more than they do.

It seems to me that they would know if their mod will work with your cover. After all, that's what they do. They've done two seats for me and the quality is excellent.

The following users liked this post:
SPRINGER (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 02:34 PM
PopsHD
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
They're the experts. But I guess you know more than they do.

It seems to me that they would know if their mod will work with your cover. After all, that's what they do. They've done two seats for me and the quality is excellent.
They told me my seat had been modified and therefore, they could not do the double decker mod on my seat. I didn't state that correctly in my original post. I was just curious why they thought my seat had been modified, thus I posed the question here. By modified, I mean stock foam or pan changed, etc. I don't get the need to blast me by saying I know more than they do. However, since you hypothesize as much, yes, when it comes to whether my seat has been modified or not (other than the cover), I do know more than they do, because it hasn't been modified and they seem to think it has. Now, the question of whether my cover will work with their mod is a totally different topic and question and yes, they are the experts on that front. But that's not what they told me (again, I stated that wrong in my original post). They just told me my seat has been modified and they can't do the double decker mod on a previously modified seat. If in fact they can't use my cover on the double decker mod, then maybe I would consider a new cover from them. But again, that was not the conversation that was had.

I plan on following up with them for more clarification and details on why they think my seat has been modified. As I stated previously and as you can attest, I've heard nothing but good things about MCC. I would certainly like to have the opportunity to experience the craftsmanship myself.

Have a great day Izzo and Thank You for your service to our country!!

Last edited by PopsHD; 04-10-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:51 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

Maybe it's just the way the new cover you had put on is made....but the seat looks modified to me as well. There looks to be a distinct separation between the rider and passenger portions of the seat. Maybe its just the angles of the pictures.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:57 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,665 Likes on 2,675 Posts

Now, the question of whether my cover will work with their mod is a totally different topic and question and yes, they are the experts on that front. But that's not what they told me (again, I stated that wrong in my original post). They just told me my seat has been modified and they can't do the double decker mod on a previously modified seat. If in fact they can't use my cover on the double decker mod, then maybe I would consider a new cover from them. But again, that was not the conversation that was had.
I would give them the chance to clarify, before getting too worked up about it. Maybe something between the tech that does the work, and the person who deals with customers was lost in translation. It may be as simple as your statement above. Good luck either way. They did my seat and i'm quite happy with the end result.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:02 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,191 Likes on 2,457 Posts

maybe they just have a cya policy that they won't do work on any previously modified seat, regardless of what the mod is. maybe they used to but got burnt enough times that they just had to make that blanket stipulation. after all, if something happened and the seat got messed up because of what was done previously, they are the ones that are going to get hammered for it.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:18 PM
PopsHD
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
I would give them the chance to clarify, before getting too worked up about it. Maybe something between the tech that does the work, and the person who deals with customers was lost in translation. It may be as simple as your statement above. Good luck either way. They did my seat and i'm quite happy with the end result.
At first, I was worked up over it but I had the same thoughts that you express and that's why I am going to follow-up. I should have done that before posting here, so that's a bad on me.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:21 PM
leftyjm
Road Warrior

Received 395 Likes on 270 Posts

I’ve had a couple of seats modified by them as well as a couple of friends. I doubt very seriously if they were being anything but honest with you. Maybe they were avoiding a possible issue. They have been nothing but helpful with me and everyone I know. They have NO reason to slight you.
Think about it.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:23 PM
PopsHD
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by skratch
maybe they just have a cya policy that they won't do work on any previously modified seat, regardless of what the mod is. maybe they used to but got burnt enough times that they just had to make that blanket stipulation. after all, if something happened and the seat got messed up because of what was done previously, they are the ones that are going to get hammered for it.
I totally agree and if that's the case, I don't blame them one bit. I am perfectly fine with them not working on a previously modified seat. What I took exception to was them saying my seat was modified when, in fact, is has not been modified, regardless of whether or not it looks that way to some members here. As another member reasoned, I hope it is something that got lost in translation. If so, it's my bad for posting when I should have clarified the situation beforehand.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:44 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I can only go on what you post. You yourself have said that you said it wrong in a couple places. So how are we supposed to take this?

Sorry, I'm going to take their side on this.

Quick Reply: My experience with Mean City Cycles