General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How safe or dangerous is it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 08:20 AM
PiedPiper
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Hdbkstl
I can relate to that. I tried replacing it with muscle cars, then i took a bike i was detailing out around the neighborhood. I came back and told the wife i needed my bike back. Had the car traded for a VW SUV within the month and a new breakout by christmas. I miss my charger, but I love my bike. I need to ride my bike, otherwise I turn into a supreme *******.
I would have tried like hell to keep the charger and get the bike.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:47 AM
Hdbkstl
Road Master
Received 316 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by PiedPiper
I would have tried like hell to keep the charger and get the bike.
Yea, I had a TA challenger before that. I do miss my 392 charger though. I loved that car.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:04 AM
SWFLGuy
Road Warrior
Received 1,211 Likes on 597 Posts

It sounds to me like you need a bike in your life to remind you of your appreciation for your freedoms.
Do it man before you get old in spirit.

The following users liked this post:
Hdbkstl (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 02:42 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by NDanecker
Mind my manners? Take a step back and read this thread from start to finish. Most of the posts offer their experiences and opinions on the topic but do so in a respectful manner. Then we get to you who stated I already know the answer (aka you are stupid for even asking it) and should buy a convertible followed by MiniWolf quoting you and accusing me of being a troll. Almost like 2 chuckleheads standing in the schoolyard playground when a new kid shows up. But I should mind my manners? Respectfully, I think you two guys should stay off threads unless you have something worthy to add except 2 cent opinions and I don't give a rats *** how many 2 cents posts either of you two have racked up. Seriously - how hard was it to not pass over this thread? You really think your comments were helpful? I certainly didn't join to get into a stupid debate with people who feel all posts need to pass their personal worthy filter.
I was going to respond to this in 100% sincerity, but after this little diatribe? Showing this kind of attitude on a forum?

No, you should not get a motorcycle. Your temper will get you killed. Maybe you should get a bass boat or something.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:46 PM
QNman
Supporter

Originally Posted by NDanecker
...Safety starts with learning what signs to look for. Trees don't move - cagers do.
Not even sure if he wants to ride a motorcycle, and already calling other vehicles "cagers".

That's cute.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:26 PM
Hdbkstl
Road Master

Originally Posted by QNman
Not even sure if he wants to ride a motorcycle, and already calling other vehicles "cagers".

That's cute.

That's because he read the other thread on the unwritten harley tough guy rules.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:35 PM
QNman
Supporter

Originally Posted by Hdbkstl
That's because he read the other thread on the unwritten harley tough guy rules.
I'm beginning to think he doesn't actually want to ride a motorcycle, just own a motorcycle...

No, OP, having a garage queen isn't dangerous.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:43 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,160 Likes on 3,518 Posts

There is an inherent risk with motorcycling. Only you can decide if it's ok to die for a hobby. I ride knowing that every one of them could be my last. And I'm good with that.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:44 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

At this point I believe you have gotten a decent sampling of opinions. Admit it or not, motorcycling is inherently more dangerous than driving a car. Something as basic as a rock getting kicked up by the car in front of you. In a car, the rock deflects off the windshield [maybe even cracking the glass]. Catch that same rock in the teeth wearing a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet and the consequences are different. The difference between riders and non-riders is that riders are willing to assume the risks of riding.

The one part of your original post that raised a concern for me was: "Would drive on weekends and recreational, and stay away from large towns or cities." If the intent of that statement was the misconception that the day of the week or location of the ride somehow increases or decreases the risks, please dismiss that belief. Sure, the ride may be more pleasurable without midweek, rush hour traffic or riding a near-abandoned country back-road; however, risks don't disappear, they merely change form. Whatever you decide, be safe and enjoy.

The following users liked this post:
Long lonesome highwayman (04-21-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 06:12 PM
Hdbkstl
Road Master

Originally Posted by QNman
I'm beginning to think he doesn't actually want to ride a motorcycle, just own a motorcycle...

No, OP, having a garage queen isn't dangerous.
Thats why they make the worn out look harley jackets....you know....so the rider look is complete. Honestly, if you have to ask then this probably isnt for you.

Quick Reply: How safe or dangerous is it?