General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police speed trap ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 02:06 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

While driving through Texas this summer I noticed a disturbing trend in speed limit signs. The speed limit would go from 65 to 45 real quick, then 45 to 35 in about 50 yards then 35 to 25 in another 50 yards. I noticed this in about 10 towns, same pattern for each of them. I had to brake hard to slow down to the speed limit. After a couple times I learned to stand on the brakes and never let up until the 25 mph sign was in sight. I saw no leo's at any of these towns but had to wonder about the true intention of the spacing of these signs. To me it looked like a possible opportunity for a likely speed trap, especially for someone who had never driven that road before. The hiway I was on went north from Dallas north through Wichita Falls to I-40.
Just an observation I found to be somewhat unsettling. In 60 yrs of driving I have never experienced anything quite like that with the speed limit signs time after time on the same road.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:13 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,942 Likes on 2,164 Posts

Originally Posted by nytryder
While driving through Texas this summer I noticed a disturbing trend in speed limit signs. The speed limit would go from 65 to 45 real quick, then 45 to 35 in about 50 yards then 35 to 25 in another 50 yards. I noticed this in about 10 towns, same pattern for each of them. I had to brake hard to slow down to the speed limit. After a couple times I learned to stand on the brakes and never let up until the 25 mph sign was in sight. I saw no leo's at any of these towns but had to wonder about the true intention of the spacing of these signs. To me it looked like a possible opportunity for a likely speed trap, especially for someone who had never driven that road before. The hiway I was on went north from Dallas north through Wichita Falls to I-40.
Just an observation I found to be somewhat unsettling. In 60 yrs of driving I have never experienced anything quite like that with the speed limit signs time after time on the same road.
It's like that on many Texas highways right before towns. I never gave it much thought. If you're going 65 MPH and you see a city limit sign, it's time to slow down.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:19 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Ok, entrapment was not necessarily proper usage here. However, if you can actively see someone appearing intoxicated and leaving the bar and attempting to get into the vehicle and drive, you shouldn’t wait to let them drive off to get a DUI. You prevent them from driving. You will lose the DUI case. If you position your cruiser so you can only see the vehicle leaving the parking lot, that’s a different story. On the same note, if you find someone passed out in their car in the bar parking lot while it is running, you have to prove that they were either going to drive away in that condition or they drove there in that condition, it’s a plausible defense if they say they were going to sleep there and they only had the engine running to get warm, etc.

Last edited by dawg; 04-18-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:11 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,620 Likes on 1,527 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Ok, entrapment was not necessarily proper usage here. However, if you can actively see someone appearing intoxicated and leaving the bar and attempting to get into the vehicle and drive, you shouldn’t wait to let them drive off to get a DUI. You prevent them from driving. You will lose the DUI case. If you position your cruiser so you can only see the vehicle leaving the parking lot, that’s a different story. On the same note, if you find someone passed out in their car in the bar parking lot while it is running, you have to prove that they were either going to drive away in that condition or they drove their in that condition, it’s a plausible defense if they say they were going to sleep their and they only had the engine running to get warm, etc.
Here in Wisconsin, if you have possession of the keys, whether in your pocket or the ignition, private property, or public, it's considered Operating While Intoxicated. The prove I was coming, or going loophole was closed long ago.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:56 PM
MRFREEZE57
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,046 Likes on 1,897 Posts

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
In Oklahoma a bill has been passed in both the House and the Senate to raise the speed limit on some Interstate and state highways to 80 mph. The bill is waiting on the governor`s signature now, and if signed will go into effect on Nov. 1.
in Idaho and Montana, and I believe Wyoming it is 80 on rural interstates. Have herd that Texas has some areas it is 85. I believe that Montana even back in the 55 days if you were just going over 55 and not driving wreckless you received a 5 dollar energy waste ticket.
I remember one time back in the 80's was riding thru Wyoming ( in the 55 days) with my parents and talked to a Wyoming highway patrolman and remember him saying that he would not stop them until above 70.

Last edited by MRFREEZE57; 04-18-2019 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:25 AM
HubBub
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I warn Harley riders to an upcoming cop with the open left palm to the top of the helmet. I warn sport bike riders with an open left palm to the top of the helmet,.......... Even when there's no LEO ahead. They need to slow down anyway!

Old 04-19-2019, 02:46 PM
Buster217
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by barneyboy
Here in Wisconsin, if you have possession of the keys, whether in your pocket or the ignition, private property, or public, it's considered Operating While Intoxicated. The prove I was coming, or going loophole was closed long ago.
Yep. At least in some states. I met a guy once who got busted in California in the parking lot after leaving a restaurant. He was over the limit, hadn't called a taxi and wasn't with a designated driver. Now maybe if he'd hired a high priced lawyer he could have beaten the rap but as a practical matter if the police can show that you have or could or were going to operate a vehicle while impaired you will be arrested and convicted.

I've also seen police officers wait just down the street from a bar at closing time and it's like fish in a barrel.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:57 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,065 Likes on 11,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Buster217

I've also seen police officers wait just down the street from a bar at closing time and it's like fish in a barrel.
Frustrated at being unable to pick up a lounge lizard and to show off his machismo and testosterone that was displayed inside the bar, impaired driver and former bar patron will always leave the bar parking lot with high RPM's squealing tires and headlights off.
Sound travels a long way in the dead of night.
Fish in a barrel is correct.

Last edited by upflying; 04-19-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:56 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,208 Likes on 8,363 Posts

Originally Posted by barneyboy
So my non-drinking buddy, who suffers from Multiple Sclerosis should be subjected to a breathalyzer test every time he is spotted staggering/stumbling on the way to his vehicle after exiting a drinking establishment? Sometimes "loony laws" are enacted to protect the innocent.
Let me get this straight..... Your non drinking buddy staggering/stumbling on the way to his vehicle after exiting a drinking establishment........... How`s a cop gonna know he`s got MS in that situation and heading to his car acting like that?

The following users liked this post:
Bama Lee (04-21-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 05:58 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,208 Likes on 8,363 Posts

Originally Posted by nytryder
We have a few little `burghs like that here in Oklahoma too, but the cops are almost always "camping".

Quick Reply: Police speed trap ?