General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Guess It Wasn't My Time

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 10:58 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,574 Likes on 9,799 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
I always try to be happy except when people are trying to kill me. That's in Galveston to take Harborside Drive heading toward the cruise terminals and downtown.
Don't let it bring you down, me and the OL were on the Pa Turnpike a few years back, doing 70 , right lane, a Cadillac passed us on the left doing 120 MPH +, I felt her squirm on the back. When we stopped, she said, "that car was doing 100!" I said "more like 140". I left it at that, didn't get into "if he would have hit us, we wouldn't have felt a thing" with her, it would have possibly stopped her from going out on the bike again. Point is, we all get into "close scrapes" out there, learn from it, and don't let it deter you from riding, don't dwell on it too much, just be glad noting in the form of "blunt force trauma" happened.

The following users liked this post:
GalvTexGuy (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 05:35 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,942 Likes on 2,164 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Glidester
Don't let it bring you down, me and the OL were on the Pa Turnpike a few years back, doing 70 , right lane, a Cadillac passed us on the left doing 120 MPH +, I felt her squirm on the back. When we stopped, she said, "that car was doing 100!" I said "more like 140". I left it at that, didn't get into "if he would have hit us, we wouldn't have felt a thing" with her, it would have possibly stopped her from going out on the bike again. Point is, we all get into "close scrapes" out there, learn from it, and don't let it deter you from riding, don't dwell on it too much, just be glad noting in the form of "blunt force trauma" happened.
Thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate it! Yeah, I've had my share of "close scrapes", so I definitely know what you mean.

So, I had contacted the local TxDOT Public Information Officer who I've had conversations with in the past related to road conditions on the I-45. I sent him photos and a Google capture of the intersection showing the arrows painted on the asphalt before it was repaved, along with a description of what almost happened to me. Unfortunately, he hasn't replied (it's been 3 days). I sent a complaint to the TxDOT in Austin through their website. I got an automated response with a case number, so I hope to hear from them soon.

I was culling through some of my older GoPro videos and I happened to come across a video of the aftermath of an accident that had happened earlier. Law enforcement were on the scene directing traffic and from the looks of the damaged vehicles, it appeared the vehicle in the inside lane collided with the vehicle making a left from the right lane. I had forgotten I had that video. If I don't hear from the state, I'm thinking about calling the city and county to see if they are aware of what's going on at this intersection.

BelchFire (05-06-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 05:42 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Hey GalvTexGuy we may not see eye to eye very often, but i sure am glad you had a safe ride and the smuck in the cage didn't make a statistic out of you. Way to go on being watchful.

The following 2 users liked this post by 6 gun:
GalvTexGuy (04-17-2019), TexasMotorcycleRider (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 04:14 AM
assiniboine
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4,405 Likes on 2,748 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Regardless of the signage.... I would never turn left from the right lane on a bike....I am not going to give someone an extra opportunity to be stupid....
Noted!

How common the bike/cager accident with the bike passing on the left at an intersection in stopped traffic? The biker, committed to passing in the left lane is suddenly faced with the cager turning left!

GalvTexGuy (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 08:45 AM
RFFG
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I always assume people won't obey traffic signs and right of ways when there are two turning lanes. Here in south FL I've had a couple of folks in the "inside" turning lane come into my turning lane, not fun.

Glad you noticed the idiot and kept your composure and awareness, that could've been bad.

GalvTexGuy (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 09:44 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,167 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate it! Yeah, I've had my share of "close scrapes", so I definitely know what you mean.

So, I had contacted the local TxDOT Public Information Officer who I've had conversations with in the past related to road conditions on the I-45. I sent him photos and a Google capture of the intersection showing the arrows painted on the asphalt before it was repaved, along with a description of what almost happened to me. Unfortunately, he hasn't replied (it's been 3 days). I sent a complaint to the TxDOT in Austin through their website. I got an automated response with a case number, so I hope to hear from them soon.

I was culling through some of my older GoPro videos and I happened to come across a video of the aftermath of an accident that had happened earlier. Law enforcement were on the scene directing traffic and from the looks of the damaged vehicles, it appeared the vehicle in the inside lane collided with the vehicle making a left from the right lane. I had forgotten I had that video. If I don't hear from the state, I'm thinking about calling the city and county to see if they are aware of what's going on at this intersection.
No matter what they do to the intersection...people will still drive like retards...between the cell phones, and "me first" mentality...it really sucks for bikes..

Old 04-18-2019, 10:58 AM
roadrydr
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE=GalvTexGuy;18183437]I've turned left from this intersection a thousand times and other similar intersections, so I always anticipate something like this will happen. Today, it did.

I understand your reasoning for turning left from the right hand lane at that intersection. In a case where traffic is backed up from that light and you want to avoid waiting in the line, I don't see any problem with turning left from the right hand lane. But only when there are cars stopped in the left lane waiting to turn left also.(although that has to be done with extreme care in case one of the cars drifts to the right lane as they round that left turn) This particular day there was no line of traffic. The left hand turn lane was wide open. To protect yourself you should have turned from the left hand lane on that particular day. You said you've been through the intersection a thousand times. that means there's been a thousand different scenarios that you've experienced at that intersection. Familiar locations are the most dangerous because we take them for granted. Luckily you were paying attention. Remember always ride like you are invisible.

GalvTexGuy (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 11:10 AM
dDavid
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 64 Posts

“Right of way” and the accompanying photos make a great picture board display at a funeral.

Originally Posted by Vernal
OP Had the right of way in the intersection, look at the sign to the left of the road. Left lane is a left turn only and right lane is turn or straight.

GalvTexGuy (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 11:41 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,942 Likes on 2,164 Posts

Originally Posted by dDavid
“Right of way” and the accompanying photos make a great picture board display at a funeral.
"I don't wanna die, I just wanna ride my motorcy...cle."

TexasMotorcycleRider (04-18-2019)