General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to trade my bike in

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 08:07 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Seems like an "ok but just ok" deal to me.

Part of what dealers sell is convenience. Pull the trigger on this deal and you and your lady can be on the road this weekend.

OR, you can go through the time and effort to get top dollar for your bike and find your new bike at bottom dollar. Maybe you come out a grand or two ahead compared to this deal, but maybe it 60 or even 90 days before you get it all worked out, and you'll spend the next however many weeks hunting for bikes and talking to tire kickers. Seems to me that is the real question here. Would you rather just get this done and be on the road immediately, or would you rather invest the time and effort to get the best possible deal?

There's no right or wrong answer.

I was where you are 20 years ago. Young kids and all the rest. All I can say is be realistic about how many opportunities you and your wife will really have to get out on the new bike. You have people who your wife trusts who can take the kids for an afternoon or a weekend? The headache we always ran in to was needing to plan (days or even weeks) ahead to arrange someone for the kids, without really knowing the weather. Ended up taking the car more than once, since my wife has even less interest than me in riding in the cold/rain.

The following 4 users liked this post by 0maha:
HARLEYROCKERCGUY (04-18-2019), mctraveler (04-15-2019), skratch (04-15-2019), uncle kebo (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 08:07 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,497 Likes on 786 Posts

I would take the offer, Rockers are not exactly popular bikes and privately, I think it would be a hard sell.

Like Steve Miller said:

The following users liked this post:
HARLEYROCKERCGUY (04-18-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 08:56 AM
junior07
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

The Road King is low mileage at 9k. I think it is a reasonable deal for you in your circumstances, I would go for it. Maybe try to get the RK down to an even $10,000.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:22 PM
Grumbler
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by HARLEYROCKERCGUY
Hey everyone , wanted opinions. Looking to trade my Harley rocker c in. It’s 2009 only 7300 mikes on it. Dealer is giving me 7500 for it. I’m getting a 2007 road king classic with 9200 mikes. I’m good shape.they want 10200 for it. Just wondering if that’s a good deal. I hate to part with my bike as it is but wife can’t ride on the rocker . Any input would be helpful. Thank you
jimmy
Keep in mind it's a soft used motorcycle market these days so getting top dollar whether selling privately or as trade-in is difficult if not impossible.

All dealerships are in business to buy low and sell high so we have to negotiate, if possible, a deal that's barely palatable. In addition, there's other
intangibles like weather, location, business climate, and so forth.

Am in Boise, ID and paid $7500 cash for my 2004 Road King Custom with 15K on the clock late last August from a friend in Kingman, AZ. Some
friends told me I got a smoking deal while others said it was just a reasonable price. Everyone has a different perspective.

You'll be happier riding 2-up on the Road King Classic than letting the Rocker C collect dust in your garage. =8^)

Old 04-15-2019, 03:27 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

KBB has a trade in value of $8450. https://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/harl...etype=trade-in

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
You would think that....BUT...the market sucks...$7450 is low retail on NADA...

The last 09 Rocker C that sold on ebay went for $8801...after you take out all the fees from ebay and paypal... not much difference

It is a buyers market...how much trouble do you want to go through for another grand?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&LH_Complete=1

Old 04-15-2019, 04:24 PM
Cogswell
Road Captain
Received 261 Likes on 126 Posts

Just tell your dealer you will trade with them for $1000 out the door price. Be prepared to walk away, and do if needed. They will probably call you with a counter offer or decide to accept your offer.

Wait until a few days within the end of the month, they are hungrier to close deals.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:23 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

I had a 07 Road King. Nice bike but not as nice as the 09 and up. I'd hold out for a 2009 up unless the trade was for under a grand difference. If you can trade for that so put a true track or some sort of a rear stabilizer on it and ride.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:36 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 609 Posts

I agree with '09 or newer.
I agree that you should look at the value of "now" enjoyment with your wife as well as the convenience factor.
I agree that Rockers were not best sellers.
I really agree with the "be ready to walk" mentality ... especially in today's market.
All that being said, these things are pleasure things - toys; not investments.
Hit the salesman with a split the difference (or whatever you're comfortable with) offer OUT THE DOOR as a "firm and final" offer.
Then, be prepared to walk ... and keep your cell phone on.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jehu:
HARLEYROCKERCGUY (04-18-2019), s13steve (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 04:55 AM
HARLEYROCKERCGUY
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you

Thanks everyone for your input. I ended up walking away from the deal. I really love my rocker and really didn’t want to get rid of it. Was trying to make wife happy. I went to dealer yesterday on my rocker but after riding it I just knew I couldn’t let it go. So now I’m in process to find if anyone makes a better passenger seat for rocker. I’ve looked all over , I’ve seen a kit that would mean changing out fender and all that. But not looking to do that. I may just end up fabricating something g myself. But if anyone knows of any passenger seats for rocker c please share.
Thanjs again everyone. Definatley will be putting more miles on my bike this year.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:29 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Yes, ride your Rocker C more!

We know you haven't been wasting your time posting on this site! (I know I have...)

Have your wife take the course and she get her own ride.

Quick Reply: Looking to trade my bike in