Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rescue me from over-paying for a used Dyna!

Old 04-23-2019, 05:53 PM
Jehu
Road Master
Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Rescue me from over-paying for a used Dyna!

As the owner (happy thus far) of a 2018 Road Glide with the M8 107" I know that the new engines perform well.

As the former owner of a bunch of Twin Cams I have learned to like them but am leary of the the 88 cubic inch iterations.

As the happy owner of a 2010 Road King I like the 96TC better than the 88TC and, with the compensator swap-out enjoy the bike very much; it's a keeper.

As a long time Harley fan, I dealt with overly lean Keihn carburators and learned to avoid the now unsupported Magneti Marelli fuel injection.

As a businessman with half a clue, I know that the 2003 "Anniversary Edition" is nothing special from a value standpoint and also realize that the MoCo went through phase where they seemed to have an "Anniversary Edition" about every six months.

As a Harley fan I have always like the black and platinum of the 2003 model year.

I understand that the new Dynas - ooops, I mean Softtails spank the old swing arm/twin shock Dynas in everything - handling, ride, etc. I also know that despite the Dyna line being discontinued, it is doubtful that the discontinuation serves as a value adder to the existing fleet.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ........

Rescue me from buying a 2003 Dyna for more than NADA "Average retail" (which we all know is dillusional on the high side to begin with compared to real-world market conditions!) which has has 5,000 miles - is in great shape and has a carburetor! It is bone stock and I truly believe to be unmolested since birth. Though I have reservations at paying more than NADA "average retail" I WANT the darned bike!

Reference points: I have a RK in FL that suits perfectly my mission profile of Bike Week, Biketoberfest and making miles between friends in a l o n g state.

I have the 2018 RG for big road, big mile trips up north - Myrtle, Sturgis, Laconia, but want a bar hopper to replace the 883 Iron that I like but my old aging bones wants something different.

My family won't miss a meal, my grandson will not miss a gift or contribution towards his education but I truly dislike paying more than the already disillusionaly high NADA average retail because when I grow bored with the bike, as I inevitably will, I will take a hit.

Did I mention that I really like the bike and that it is low miles and unmolested since birth?

Rescue or enable me .... HELP!

Last edited by Jehu; 04-23-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:00 PM
IdahoHacker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,372 Likes on 931 Posts

What's the difference between the asking price of this bike and KBB or NADA retail?

If you buy an "ordinary" Dyna to save that...what...a thousand, two thousand dollars, instead of getting a bone stock, low miles, exactly-what-you-want bike, you'll be kicking yourself later.

The following 2 users liked this post by IdahoHacker:
Greezey Rider (04-23-2019), Long lonesome highwayman (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 06:09 PM
roadmutt
One Of The Regulars
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Old 04-23-2019, 06:21 PM
Hdbkstl
Road Captain
Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

So just offer them NADA price. See if they bite...all they can say is no

The following users liked this post:
SoGA (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 06:57 PM
soldierbot
Global Moderator
Received 6,787 Likes on 3,103 Posts

I can't help you as the 2003 color themes are some of the best the MoCo has ever released...IMHO. Especially the one you are admiring.

Tony P (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 06:58 PM
Jehu
Road Master
Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker View Post
What's the difference between the asking price of this bike and KBB or NADA retail?

If you buy an "ordinary" Dyna to save that...what...a thousand, two thousand dollars, instead of getting a bone stock, low miles, exactly-what-you-want bike, you'll be kicking yourself later.
Idaho, you're making too much darned sense; you're going to enable me into doing this!

Negotiations with the seller have me at about $400 over NADA average - which, as everyone knows is at least 15-20% above real world. Bottom line: I will be paying about $2,500 more than what I would get on trade in (maybe more) at at least $1,000 more than what I would get out of a private party sale.

Did I mention that I do like the bike; seller is at his bottom "last and final" number and I know I will **** away the delta in bar bills at bike events but ... ???

Old 04-23-2019, 07:09 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,846 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by soldierbot View Post
I can't help you as the 2003 color themes are some of the best the MoCo has ever released...IMHO. Especially the one you are admiring.

I actually thought that the 2003 colors were the worst paint schemes that Harley ever did....That stupid looking stripe was hideous.

Bishop73 (04-25-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 07:20 PM
roadmutt
One Of The Regulars
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Look at those gazongas!

Walter White (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 07:23 PM
TwiZted Biker
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 6,227 Likes on 3,505 Posts

Throw the f*cking books away, do some homework looking at real world prices for that and comparable models because it's a buyers market seeing how it's flooded with clean used bikes right then go wheeling & dealing, any seller thinks they are getting book value for something over 2 years old will be sitting on it a long time.

The following 2 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
Bishop73 (04-25-2019), Tony P (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 07:29 PM
coolbreeze3646
Road Captain
Received 250 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Jehu View Post

Rescue me from buying a 2003 Dyna for more than NADA "Average retail" (which we all know is dillusional on the high side to begin with compared to real-world market conditions!) which has has 5,000 miles - is in great shape and has a carburetor! It is bone stock and I truly believe to be unmolested since birth. Though I have reservations at paying more than NADA "average retail" I WANT the darned bike!

Reference points: I have a RK in FL that suits perfectly my mission profile of Bike Week, Biketoberfest and making miles between friends in a l o n g state.

Did I mention that I really like the bike and that it is low miles and unmolested since birth?

Rescue or enable me .... HELP!
Here you go:

Year:2003

Make:Harley-Davidson

Model:FXD Dyna Super Glide

Model Type:Cruiser

Displacement:1450

Cylinders:2

VIN:1HD1GHV13

Finance Advance:$2,655

MSRP:$12,255

Avg Retail:$3,345

Auction Wholesale$2,605

Clean Trade:$2,525

Fair Trade:$2,105

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: