General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terrible purchasing experience, need advice, possible financial disaster!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 06:44 PM
Kingface
Road Master
Received 178 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
You are in the thread he started.
It's cute that you fell for this guys sob story 'hook/line/sinker.........

Old 04-24-2019, 06:53 PM
Nytar
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
Don't you think you need to be working 12 hours plus a day, to get out of this mess first?

Repo or work hard today, are the only options I really see here. Atleast hustle to make enough money so you can sell the bike. Either do that to sell the bike and then get skill or trade. Or do the math these amount months I can do it. But I am talking well less than a year. If more than 6 months, I think you should sell it.
mentioned earlier, I have things lined up to pay for the bike, and the college wont interfere with that as it will be a few hours a week and like twice that as homework. the other odd jobs can be done around that schedule. if I come across someone willing to purchase it at remaining value pay off price I will up until I am close to seeing daylight then at that point I'd just finish paying it off.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:03 PM
Nytar
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra Nate
May I submit to you this little shard of advice?

If you need financial advice, try a financial advice forum. Why on earth would you post a question soliciting financial advice in a Harley Davidson Forum. Not a single member here made a great financial decision in buying a motorcycle. It's a luxury item. There's exactly zero good reasons to come here looking for financial advice.

I'm not saying there might be a couple members here who have made a windfall in the financial markets or finance related industries. But the ratio is going to be much lower here than a financial advisor forum.

Admit it...you came here for two reasons. One...to boast about the fact that you got a Harley. and two, to solicit attention. You received what you came here looking for. But at least admit that.

Go ride your new bike. A little wind in your face will clear things right up.
I came here cause a lot of people here most likely have experience with motorcycle dealers and finances, and also likely have dealt with shady dealers and could tell me if there was a way to fix a situation related to something that as motorcyclist would understand. if it were about boasting I would just boast. I was just hoping for 3 or 4 posts of where I might be able to go to sort it out. and some of them have been awesome about it. thats all I was looking for. what is there to boast about when EVERYONE on here has the same thing? boasting would be having something up on someone else. and if boasting was the reason then obviously trying to change that situation is counter productive.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:04 PM
otto.maddox
Cruiser
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Man.. I figure this happens almost daily once riding season starts. You see guys in the dealers talking about what payment they want instead of the out of the door price.

They talk about financing and don't even care about the interest rate. 108 months! Sure why not?! Throw in the extended warranty, tire package, VIP service blah blah blah.. stage 4 while you're at it.

I get nervous just hearing some of it go down. They sign on the bottom line and get home to their old ladies screaming "You did what?!"

I get it. A nice shiny Harley sitting there in front of you. You dreaming about one since you were 7 years old.

But it's not worth it. Get out of that deal however you can. Sell it if you can cover the note.. if not let the bank take it back.

You got higher priorities now. Learn from it.. remember this feeling the next time you're about to finance anything.

Last edited by otto.maddox; 04-24-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:04 PM
NDanecker
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn it....ran out of popcorn before I finished reading this whole thread.

Moooooommmmmm....more cheezy poofs pleaseeee....

The following users liked this post:
Don Michigan (04-25-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 07:34 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

The most practical comment was, I ran out of popcorn. You do not have a bike problem, not even a financial program. You have an attitude problem. It has nothing to do with disability, it has everything to do with you and the way you are living your life.

The posts here that challenge you are correct. You need to change the way you think. The bike purchase is just a symptom of your lousy victim attitude about yourself. What they are saying is it doesn't matter, until you grow up.

We can all relate stories where we over extended or took responsibility. Frankly, you aren't even in the ballgame yet. If someone calls you stupid, it is because you are stupid. Admit it. Grow up and fix you mess and your life.

it is like Elizabeth Warrens wanted to give everyone college debt forgivenesses. These aren't victims, they are just stupid people who got participation trophies and never thought about paying back what they borrowed. Older people, like myself took over a decade to pay back their loans.

You need to look at the way you live your life. The Harley purchase has absolutely nothing to do with the **** pile you are in. You are not a victim to me, you are an abuser. Oh, a stupid abuser, but you are abusing others just the same.

Grow up. No one has to live like you are. It has been your choice. It does not surprise me that you don't get a lot of love here, you have done nothing to love yourself or another person.

I do do not believe that the motorcycle is an issue, it is just your current issue and I think you created it with full awareness, and just did not give a ****.

The following 5 users liked this post by son of the hounds:
0maha (04-24-2019), CalypsoNotch93 (04-24-2019), quackattack (04-28-2019), tar_snake (04-25-2019), Tired (04-25-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 07:38 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,964 Likes on 1,715 Posts

9:59 PM. . .

Originally Posted by Brett Leisy
hello, I just picked up my 2014 ultra limited today from the dealer. just saying hi.

10:49 PM. . .

I was just window shopping and thinking about later down the road what Id like to get WHEN I could afford a fancier bike. having insomnia I was up at 2 am, by 7am I was going crazy, so I jumped on my VTX1800R for a ride, no destination yet, but find myself down the road from a harley dealer. sure, good way to blow time... same stock from a couple weeks ago, metric building was closed.. hmm now what.. well I learned of another harley dealership in town, didnt get much time to look last time, so headed over there. there was a 2017 that caught my eye when I first walked in, stared and drooled a little, dealer came over and started talking to me about the bike, then asked if I wanted to see if I could qualify for financing.

Me "no, I dont think I could get it into my price range"
Him "Well we are running a promotion, we are taking trade ins for NADA+10%"
Me "hmmm, I still dont think the payments would be far enough down, my bike is only worth somewhere around 3500, to bad you dont take multiples for trade ins" (I assumed because most dont)
Him "we sure do, what all do you have"

So... I listed my bikes, I knew the values of 2 of them cause watching the one I always ride, and have been trying to sell the other 2 but one is to old for it to show on NADA. so I am now thinking NADA value is AT LEAST 3500+3300+ he said it would at minimum pull 500 worst case scenario. so 7300+10% is 8030... hmm might be able to work something.....

he asked what kind of payments I could handle... I said preferably around 100, he pried a little about maximum I told him I MIGHT.... MIGHT be able to pull 150 but that would be stretching it. he said he would talk to the finance guy if that would even be possible. ok...

10-15 minutes later he comes back around, and he takes me looking at some bikes to see if there is one of the used ones that might be able to work off of guesstimates at this point, and what I might like... we find one, the after market air lift kit really was a big thing for me with being used to a lower bike and less stretch around the frame and motor.

taking a piece of paper and jotting down numbers from the top of my head as far as monthly income and monthly bills that must come out. figuring out what I can drop from my leisure money and even budgeted out my smoking habit (might be a good incentive to quit... ya know?). I cant seem to fit it. then we sit down... they are starting to tell me that they were gonna give me 2000 for all my bikes... I asked a few times about it but he kinda stepped around it... they asked about a co signer with a higher income to help drop interest rates a little. well my step father...

so I ride home and sit down and talk to my parents, they know I do everything I can to keep things proper, he helped me with a car loan 3 years ago and not so much as a hic-up with payments, so they agree and we go into town, I grab my paper work from my motorcycles just in case.

we get there and talk about the basic plan and idea, so we filled out the information for them to run our credit and see how things look. it comes back and they are saying 280... no... that just dont work. so on the edge of walking out, I ask once again. why are the values on the trade ins so low when you said "NADA +10%" well we will have to whole sale them to a company in another state, we are just covering out end.

a few minutes of stewing it over and trying to work something out of a small budget to get closer to their mark. they come back later with a new price. 250... I said MAY BE.... MAYBE 200... he said he could give a little on the trades and bring it to around 225... Im getting frustrated at this point... I said I didnt think it would even fly through the actual financing. but we could see... now.. I am on a fixed income, a whole whopping 771 dollars a month through SSI. I already have a car payment of 252, +insurance (that I mis-priced how much I was spending) +phone + possible new bike 225 at a higher value than my old one+ insurance for that.... Id be down to living off of 90 bucks a month. ok.. thats super tight... but maybe.. price goes up by 5 bucks for gap... ok living on 85 bucks, I dont wanna lose my shorts if something goes wrong..... sign papers but there is a issue with 2 of the titles, one I never got around to putting into my name, the other I couldnt find, was just bill of sale in the paper work for the vehicles... so no deal last night...

go home a bit defeated... but look for paperwork... find everything I will need. then sit back going through mail I pulled out when looking for the one title and see a child support letter. NOOOO I FORGOT TO FIGURE CHILD SUPPORT... before you freak out, its on auto pay so forget about it coming out cause I never see it. ok... that 85 bucks is now in the negatives.... ok I cant do this.....

I go down to the courthouse to fix the one title (I would have to anyways), then to the dealership. walk in and go to talk to the finance guy. I tell him whats going on and there is NO WAY that I can possibly pay for the bike. I will loose something. the other stuff is ESSENTIAL for me to pay and get by day to day. and his response???

"Paperwork is already sent in to the bank, no way to reverse it now, and buyers remorse clause dont cover motorcycles..."

no keep in mind I hadnt even test ridden the bike, thats one thing.. but neither traded keys or possession.... and this drives me nuts, now I HAVE to try to pay for something I cant afford?

so now I am the not so proud owner of a 901 lb financial noose.... PLEASE HELP!!! isnt there anything I CAN do? this cant be good business practice.

That is one heck of a difference in 50 minutes.

“Iowa law does not generally provide consumers with a right to cancel a consumer contract. Most notably, you do not have the right to cancel your purchase or contract of a vehicle from a dealer’s lot.”

Old 04-24-2019, 07:54 PM
LoneRiderFLH
Road Warrior
Received 949 Likes on 412 Posts

In no way do I sympathize with your situation but you were a victim of predatory lending. Either the dealer falsified your income or the lender gave you money based on credit rating only. In any case, you are no way credit worthy and a cosigner’s ability to pay should not be used to make a crap loan.

Find out who regulates the lender, file a complaint and sue the idiots who made the loan... or not

Old 04-24-2019, 07:55 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

I'm convinced, he was not born an idiot he worked his way up to it, and continued to climb to the top of the idiot pole.

The following 3 users liked this post by hbsoldier3:
Campy Roadie (04-25-2019), Don Michigan (04-25-2019), tar_snake (04-25-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 07:56 PM
Malazan
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
The most practical comment was, I ran out of popcorn. You do not have a bike problem, not even a financial program. You have an attitude problem. It has nothing to do with disability, it has everything to do with you and the way you are living your life.

The posts here that challenge you are correct. You need to change the way you think. The bike purchase is just a symptom of your lousy victim attitude about yourself. What they are saying is it doesn't matter, until you grow up.

We can all relate stories where we over extended or took responsibility. Frankly, you aren't even in the ballgame yet. If someone calls you stupid, it is because you are stupid. Admit it. Grow up and fix you mess and your life.

it is like Elizabeth Warrens wanted to give everyone college debt forgivenesses. These aren't victims, they are just stupid people who got participation trophies and never thought about paying back what they borrowed. Older people, like myself took over a decade to pay back their loans.

You need to look at the way you live your life. The Harley purchase has absolutely nothing to do with the **** pile you are in. You are not a victim to me, you are an abuser. Oh, a stupid abuser, but you are abusing others just the same.

Grow up. No one has to live like you are. It has been your choice. It does not surprise me that you don't get a lot of love here, you have done nothing to love yourself or another person.

I do do not believe that the motorcycle is an issue, it is just your current issue and I think you created it with full awareness, and just did not give a ****.
Best post yet

LOL, I’m still paying on my Student Loans, and I wouldn’t vote for Pocahontas if she was giving away a million dollars

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (04-25-2019)

Quick Reply: Terrible purchasing experience, need advice, possible financial disaster!