General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Close calls and lessons learned while riding

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 07:02 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,175 Likes on 5,604 Posts

I bought a brand new Sportster in 2000, it had been a few years since I had been on a bike and I was rusty. On the ride home and with only about 15 miles on the bike I came to an intersection in my town and there was an old lady waiting to turn out of a gas station. I saw her pull up to the stop sign and stop. As I got closer I made eye contact with her and I knew she saw me but you know how that goes. She looked straight at me and pulled out and turned to her right. There was no time to stop so I could either hit her, swerve right and hit the curb or swerve left into the oncoming lane. I chose to go left into the oncoming lane and went around her. Thank God traffic was very light or I would have likely ran head on into an oncoming car.
After that I remembered an old trick I used long before I ever bought that bike and that's to watch the front tire of a stopped car instead of watching the driver. If that tire moves hit the clamps and haul it down.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bubba Zanetti:
ole_phart (04-27-2019), Zonktified (05-02-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 07:05 AM
roadmutt
Supporter
Received 324 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Ride your own ride.
^^ This.

On the slab, I like to ride at or above the top traffic speed to keep moving relative to traffic, and especially not hang around trucks. Wife always wants to ride slower.

We did a trip north from SoCal in 2016, I rode solo up and back, she flew in and out due to work. The Blue Cut fire started right after I went through Cajon Pass, so was not able to get home that way. Came back south on the 5 and was heading east on the 210 by Pasadena. Heavy traffic, but I'm in the HOV lane so moving OK. Getting close to the exit, decided to take advantage of a gap and get in the far right lane, even though it meant riding right in the ****. Moving along stop and go, suddenly hear what sounds like an 18 wheeler with brakes locked right behind me. Sonofabitch was flying around traffic on the right and came up on top of me. Those brakes were smoking. That was the only time I was so shook that I wanted to get the hell off the bike NOW. No place to stop so kept going.

She doesn't bug me to slow down on the highway anymore. And I pay extra attention to my 6.

The following users liked this post:
soldierbot (04-26-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 07:27 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 1,656 Posts

Originally Posted by irish44

run over on 12 24 17. Pitch black empty highway. Car didn't have headlights and never stopped. Shattered elbow was the only injury.
Damn ! You got lucky.. No headlights ? It wasn't a Sleigh right..

Old 04-26-2019, 07:30 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

I got hit by a Vulture. Then I hit a Turkey. That was a bad day.

Then there was the whole dump truck incident............

Old 04-26-2019, 07:34 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 1,656 Posts

Constant close calls in the City.. That's why I like to ride in the Mountains.. where there's only Ram, Deer, Vultures and Yak's...
Had to learn though, you can't play chicken with a cager, you can't lose concentration in a tight curve and bros before ho's....

Old 04-26-2019, 07:37 AM
Bass Player
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,925 Likes on 1,056 Posts

"IF" someone uses their blinkers, all it proves is that they work. I don't trust them at all. I didn't have a close call, I got hit on the xway. That's close!

Last edited by Bass Player; 04-26-2019 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:41 AM
assiniboine
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4,425 Likes on 2,759 Posts

Originally Posted by Grateful Fred
Let's hear about your close calls and lessons learned while riding. I figure this is a good way to share some stories and also help other people learn from other people's experiences. What were some close calls you guys have had on the road? What was your thought process during the encounter? What evasive maneuvers did you use? How did you get out of it or not?
Passing on the left at speed in an intersection - lead cage turned ! Took to the airwaves - landed 20 feet away - unconscious in a ditch filled with water - no harm done - bike written off!
Lesson: Be cautious in intersections - beware the rogue cage making snap decisions.

Stopped at intersection - major road! Semi cut the corner and proceeded at speed to close on a steady bearing. Last minute dove off the bike to right - truck rolled right over the bike and dragged it 40 feet! Driver later determined to be DUI. Scratches
Lesson: Be cognizant of your surroundings at all times - try not to hesitate with your decisions.

Tight corner, jacked the rear wheel off the ground at speed, Crossed the yellow and plowed head-on into oncoming vehicle. Took to the airwaves, landed and rolled maybe 40 feet. One broken leg and arm. Concussion! Divine intervention. (believe I could best be described as Agnostic).
Lesson: Know the limitations of your ride.

Anyone of these accidents would likely have resulted in very serious injury to a passenger - further, a passenger might have restricted my movements to the point of both of us becoming a liability.
Lesson: Don't carry passengers or if u do, make sure they're educated to the hazards. (but don't scare the **** out of them, let the ride do that!)

The following users liked this post:
FxdwgGuy (04-30-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 07:54 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,480 Likes on 6,878 Posts

As stated before, always watch the tire/rim of a vehicle that is stopped, if it starts moving take evasive action. Look to see what direction the wheels are turned, where the driver is looking or which way their hear is turned.

When in a city/town where there are cars parked along the street, they block the view of both you and other drivers. Watch between the vehicles and look under the front of the parked vehicles as sometimes you can see kids, dogs or other things that might come out from between the cars/vehicles. Mostly pay attention and know, the limits of your motorcycle and how to panic stop. Practice in a parking lot so it becomes second nature and you learn the limits of your tires traction.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:32 AM
assiniboine
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4,425 Likes on 2,759 Posts

In a true crisis, the idea of conscious controlled braking is likely a pipe dream.

U will be standing on your brake and unconsciously trying to support the bike. Everything that occurs, occurs very quickly. Reflex!

In these type of circumstance ABS is likely a useful tool.

Defensive riding/experience is an advantage? Ya think?

Old 04-26-2019, 10:02 AM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,830 Likes on 1,443 Posts

[QUOTE=irish44;18211998
run over on 12 24 17. Pitch black empty highway. Car didn't have headlights and never stopped. Shattered elbow was the only injury.[/QUOTE]

Man, you're lucky to not have become Gator bait.

Quick Reply: Close calls and lessons learned while riding