Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Close calls and lessons learned while riding (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1281165-close-calls-and-lessons-learned-while-riding.html)

Grateful Fred 04-25-2019 08:37 AM

Close calls and lessons learned while riding

Let's hear about your close calls and lessons learned while riding. I figure this is a good way to share some stories and also help other people learn from other people's experiences. What were some close calls you guys have had on the road? What was your thought process during the encounter? What evasive maneuvers did you use? How did you get out of it or not?

RHPAW 04-25-2019 08:44 AM

I had a bunch of indians chase me into a box canyon once.
I didn't make it.

Hecklerboy 04-25-2019 09:57 AM

I've had many close calls over the years. Some closer than others.
The closest was a lady rear ending me during Myrtle Beach Bike Week.
Nothing serious, she just bumped me in traffic. We pulled over and it was a little lady that just had ankle surgery and her foot slipped off the brake.
Poor thing was scared to death when she saw my friends jump off their bike and come running.
I gave her a hug and sent her on her way. Not even a scratch on my bike.

I always watch the front tire of any car looking to pull into my lane.
If someone does cut me off I just smile and wave. I'm sure they didn't mean to cut me off.
I find it better to smile than get hateful and risk retaliation.
Besides, I think it scares them more when you wave and smile.

saltlick 04-25-2019 10:13 AM

i have no lessons learned other than look out for dumbasses

dickey 04-25-2019 10:19 AM

Back in the early 90s I had bought a brand new FXSTC. Was booking down the Long Island Expressway, somewhere around New Hyde Park rd, when there was a multi car collision & immediate slowdown in front of me. Evo brakes being what they were at the time, I could not slow down, & went weaving in & out of all the wrecked cars at 60 em pee aitch without hitting a one. Never figgered out how I managed that.

About 10 years ago, had one of those ghettomobiles with mirrored windows, 6 different primer colors,and tiny wheels sticking out a foot from the body, turn right in front of me on my FXDC35 Anniv. Skidded around him,missed hitting by a C-hair, & started to chase him. Car had mirrored windows so I couldn't see inside & I forced him over, thinking "Oh GOODY; gonna get to beat the crap outta a rap-loving young punk"! I kicked a big,heartwarming dent in the driver's door, yanked it open...& it was a little old lady behind the wheel. WTF was a LOL doing driving a ghettomobile? Anger immediately faded & was followed by a feeling of me being a total horse's ass! Someone got my plate, & the cops showed at my house. Lady agreed not to press charges if I paid for the dent, which I did. Cost me $200. Way I figgered it, was better it worked out this way, as I'd prolly just be getting out of jail now had it been a young punk. Not to mention the cost in legal fees & lawsuits.

soldierbot 04-25-2019 10:35 AM

Lessons I have learned...ride like you are a ghost that nobody can see and never trust a cager's directional indicators...they lie.

If a cager does happen to see you, they will try to run you off the road. ;)

Sanjuro 04-25-2019 10:42 AM

I got a bit distracted by something on the side of the road, and when I looked up the once flowing traffic had come to a complete stop. I locked up my ABS brakes, and stop less than a hand’s width from the rear bumper.

I’ve learned from that to always keep a good distance, and expect a full stop at anytime...

R,
Sanjuro

PiedPiper 04-25-2019 12:04 PM

don't trust blinkers. had a guy do a right turn right into me as I was going around his right side because he signaled he was making a left turn. I was lucky, didn't go down but came away with a badly sprained ankle right before I was going away for the weekend.

Oko 04-25-2019 12:36 PM

Besides hitting a deer once, me and the little woman were just starting a ride when about 3-blocks from our house, we almost bought it.

I don’t know if it was road rage or what. A car blew the light just as we crossed the intersection. It was being chased by a guy in a pick up. The car, respite with a Bonnie & Clyde looking couple, made a hard right through the light and almost crushed us against an opposing lane car. I’m talking 6-inches off the side of my bike. Maybe.

The woman passenger had her head cranked looking back at the pursuing pick up. No reaction from us other than utter surprise and four letter utterances.

BTLorys 04-25-2019 01:10 PM

Dont leave your gas cap on top of the fuel pump