General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluids and Performance

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 11:15 PM
O-SiderRider
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fluids and Performance

Hi everyone,

I have what may come off as an odd question.

Is is plausible that different brands and types of engine, gear box, and primary fluids would cause the bike to perform differently? Just today I did my 5,000 mile service and I went ahead and put the Screamin Eagle Syn 3 in “all three holes,” as they say, because it came recommended and it’s good stuff. I don’t remember what I was running before in all three but I know it very likely wasn’t running anything of this quality.

Ive noticed a couple things now since I did the service. One, the bike sounds slightly different (this could be in my head). Two, it seems it’s shifting smoother and also seems the gears are actually a little longer. Three, it seems like I have to give her a little more has to get her moving through the gears quickly (could also be in my head though). Four, it seems to be idling and riding smoother overall. Lastly, it seems to be running much cooler, I noticed this when I went back into my garage just now after parking her 10 minutes ago and it didn’t feel like a sauna in there.

I’m not describing this well, I know, it’s not easy to describe it. I guess the question is could this newer, better quality fluid in all three holes be changing the way the bike performs and responds to my riding style?

Im also still not sure how I feel about it 🤔, especially the third thing. It’s an 06 Dyna Wide Glide by the way.

Appreciate the insight.

Last edited by O-SiderRider; 04-27-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:45 PM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,453 Likes on 1,694 Posts

You say syn3 is good stuff and high quality? Can you share the specs on it?

Old 04-27-2019, 11:54 PM
O-SiderRider
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tired
You say syn3 is good stuff and high quality? Can you share the specs on it?
Can you read? I said it came as a recommendation. My understanding is it’s pretty good stuff. Do you have any helpful insight or just mouthing off?

Old 04-28-2019, 12:30 AM
LowLight
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It’s a 2006 and is just getting its 5K service now?

or 5K on the fluid ?

Last edited by LowLight; 04-28-2019 at 12:33 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:33 AM
O-SiderRider
Advanced

Originally Posted by LowLight
I bought it in 2017, I’m the second owner. It had 10,000 mi on it when I bought it and all service was up to date from the dealer. I did a fluid swap at 13,000 and then every 5,000 from there, 18,000 on it now. This is the second time I’ve done the service and I did it myself this time, cheaper and more fun.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:34 AM
O-SiderRider
Advanced

Originally Posted by LowLight

or 5K on the fluid ?
5k on the fluids

Old 04-28-2019, 01:01 AM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,300 Likes on 8,534 Posts

Originally Posted by O-SiderRider
I bought it in 2017, I’m the second owner. It had 10,000 mi on it when I bought it and all service was up to date from the dealer. I did a fluid swap at 13,000 and then every 5,000 from there, 18,000 on it now. This is the second time I’ve done the service and I did it myself this time, cheaper and more fun.
Congrads on doing it yourself.

There are many opinions on oils for each hole as you will read in oil thread.
But yes Syn-3 is great. As are several synthetic brands like Mobil 1, Maxima, Amsoil, Redline, and several others.
A good synthetic reduces friction and heat. Engine, gears, clutch operate smoother.

As you read and learn more you may want to switch what you use in primary and tranny. Low or no detergent synthetic in primary. Gear oil synthetic in tranny. Good info why in oil thread.

Last edited by 71on72; 04-28-2019 at 01:05 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:02 AM
LowLight
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by O-SiderRider
Is is plausible that different brands and types of engine, gear box, and primary fluids would cause the bike to perform differently?
I guess the question is could this newer, better quality fluid in all three holes be changing the way the bike performs and responds to my riding style?
i doubt it.

Without getting into any kind of oil debate, there’s just not enough difference between any of the quality oils to legitimately argue significant performance gains.

Any differences are entirely subjective. If it was possible, it’d be evident in some dyno test results - and then everybody would be rushing to that one particular ‘best’ oil.

Old 04-28-2019, 01:03 AM
O-SiderRider
Advanced

Originally Posted by 71on72
Congrads on doing it yourself.

There are many opinions on oils for each hole as you will read in oil thread.
But yes Syn-3 is great. As are several synthetic brands like Mobil 1, Maxima, Amsoil, Redline, and several others.
A good synthetic reduces friction. Engine, gears, clutch operate smoother.

As you read and learn more you may want to switch what you use in primary and tranny. Low or no detergent synthetic in primary. Gear oil synthetic in tranny. Good info why in oil thread.
I appreciate the insight 👍

Do you recommend a low/no detergent synthetic for the primary and a synthetic gear oil that you like?

Last edited by O-SiderRider; 04-28-2019 at 01:05 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:15 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

any fluid change will give the feel better, well because it is fresh fluid. Sync3 is dealer brand, HD recommended. Whatever the formula it is produced by the lowest bidder for HD. It works and many have sworn by it.

As for performance, take note of the oil pressure now and monitor. If it stays the same (under similar riding) until 5K then all good.

The following users liked this post:
on3wego (04-30-2019)

Quick Reply: Fluids and Performance