General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Noob

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 10:21 AM
TheWheelDeal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Harley Noob

I have been researching Harleys for about 10 days in an attempt to decide on which one should be my first Harley - new, old, customised, etc.

I keep coming up with dealers mentioning terms which I do not, yet, understand and was hoping for some pointers.
  1. What Forward Controls? Are these the fact that your legs are out straight unlike other bikes where they are underneath you?
  2. Peanut tank - is that coz of the shape or that it carries bugger all gas?
  3. Vance&Hines - Seems every second hand bike has them. Are these an absolute must for a HD?
  4. As above, dealers mention Stage 1. Is that a bike that has the exhausts, a filter AND has been tuned to stop it being too lean?
  5. For one-up and me being about 80LBs would I need to consider a suspension change on older models or would I be okay?
  6. Is a sportster version likely the best first Harley for me, being used to Japanese and European sports bikes?
Many thanks!

Old 04-29-2019, 10:27 AM
Dieselss
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Have you ridden before?
If yes, what is your level of experience?
If no, take a class first.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:29 AM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,118 Likes on 2,674 Posts

Originally Posted by TheWheelDeal
I have been researching Harleys for about 10 days in an attempt to decide on which one should be my first Harley - new, old, customised, etc.

I keep coming up with dealers mentioning terms which I do not, yet, understand and was hoping for some pointers.
  1. What Forward Controls? Are these the fact that your legs are out straight unlike other bikes where they are underneath you?
  3. Vance&Hines - Seems every second hand bike has them. Are these an absolute must for a HD?
  4. As above, dealers mention Stage 1. Is that a bike that has the exhausts, a filter AND has been tuned to stop it being too lean?
  5. For one-up and me being about 80LBs would I need to consider a suspension change on older models or would I be okay?
  6. Is a sportster version likely the best first Harley for me, being used to Japanese and European sports bikes?
Many thanks!
1-yes, controls are forward, so your legs are stretched in front of you a bit
2-peanut tank = small tank = more stops for gas
3-Vance&Hines is a large manufacturer of HD exhausts, but not the only one. I went with Cobra on my old FXDB
4-Stage 1 is free flowing exhaust, air intake and tuner/dyno'd
5-80lbs? Typo?
6-Everyone is different. What is your riding experience?

Last edited by kngpn; 04-29-2019 at 01:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TheWheelDeal (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 10:38 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,139 Likes on 11,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Dieselss
Have you ridden before?
If yes, what is your level of experience?
If no, take a class first.
OP is in the UK, there might be graduated motorcycle licensing based on size of the engine. You learn on a 125cc bike and slowly work your way up. I could be wrong about that.

Old 04-29-2019, 11:03 AM
Dieselss
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
OP is in the UK, there might be graduated motorcycle licensing based on size of the engine. You learn on a 125cc bike and slowly work your way up. I could be wrong about that.
Yup I believe your right, I didnt look at location.

Old 04-29-2019, 11:05 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Too bad the OP is in the UK, for this guy is looking to sell his bike; cheap.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...-disaster.html

Old 04-29-2019, 12:23 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,124 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Many thanks!
1. Forward controls your feet are out in front of you like a reclining chair, Mid Controls they are a little forward of your butt, like sitting at a normal dinning table chair.
2. Peanut tank generally refers to the 2.5 gal tank on some Sportsters. Sportsters also come with a 3.5 and 4.5 gallon tanks. Some people call the 3.5's a peanut tank as well because they are shaped like the 2.5's.
3. Vance and Hines are just one brand of pipe, they are pretty popular. I had a set on a used Dyna Low Rider I bought, they seemed fine.
4. Stage 1 is pipes, air cleaner, and carb jetting or tuning the Fuel Injection for the mods.
5. I'm 190 lbs and run a stock suspension on a Sportster. Will eventually change out the rear shocks and fork springs.
6. Tough call, the HD Street Rod 750 is probably the closest to the Japanese and European bikes. But lots of old codgers around here don't consider them "Real" Harley Davidsons. I came off Japanese sport bikes and like my 2006 1200C Sportster.

The following users liked this post:
TheWheelDeal (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 12:50 PM
TheWheelDeal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. Makes sense.

I think I will opt for a bike with the Stage 1 already as it will be more 'me'.
Saounds like at 180lbs I will be okay.

Glad to hear Sportsters are considered real Harley Davidsons!

Old 04-29-2019, 01:28 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,585 Likes on 9,807 Posts

Eh, I dunno....

Old 04-29-2019, 01:32 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,124 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. Makes sense.

I think I will opt for a bike with the Stage 1 already as it will be more 'me'.
Saounds like at 180lbs I will be okay.

Glad to hear Sportsters are considered real Harley Davidsons!
I didn't say Sportsters were considered real Harley Davidsons, I said some people don't consider the Street 500/750 series of bikes real Harley Davidsons. Some people call Sportsters "Girls Bikes" I just tell them that's OK because I am a Lesbian trapped in a mans body. Then I leave them in the dust because their 900lb couch on wheels can't keep up with me.

The following 2 users liked this post by VAFish:
Joe from So Cal (05-02-2019), TheWheelDeal (04-30-2019)

Quick Reply: Harley Noob