General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any wearing a Daytona 3/4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 08:50 AM
BiG.TC
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

My half helmet with heavy pin strip work. Art work goes from front to back

Old 05-05-2019, 10:20 AM
MikeRC
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I've been riding about 7 years and besides my first two months riding with a 3/4 I've worn nothing but FF. The 3/4 I had felt huge and the fit just wasn't right for me. Current helmet for the past 2 years had been a Shoei RF-1200. The Shoei fits my head shape better than any helmet I've tried so far.

I'm looking for a 3/4 mainly for hot summer days where I'm making short jaunts to the store or running errands not too far from the house. Basically nothing over 45mph.My Shoei will still be my go-to helmet whenever I'm just going out for a ride.

The only downside to my Shoei is that it's expensive and I don't like leaving it on the bike. I don't like having to carry it around with me in a grocery store either. I think a low budget 3/4 like the Daytona or something simular would fit my needs. I wouldn't mind leaving it on the bike and if it were to ever go missing than I'm only out like $70.

I appreciate all the feedback so far. I haven't seen this helmet at the shops I go but will see if I can find one to try on. Any other comments or recommendations on something else I should be looking at? Anyone wear Shoei that can recommend a budget 3/4 thats shaped simular?

Nice pinstriping on that flake btw!

Old 05-05-2019, 10:50 AM
Tomahawk309
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 72 Posts

I have a Daytona 3/4. It's a good helmet no real complaints. I prefer my full face over it though as I've become super sensitive to wind noise. I have a Biltwell bubble shield for it that works great but it's a pita to get my prescription glasses on with the shield.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:26 PM
1Qcktrufflesnuffler
Road Captain
Received 380 Likes on 195 Posts

Fly Racing 38 is supposed to be low profile, I was considering this but went with the Bell 500 when I was helmet shopping.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:34 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

I have a 3/4 Daytona and like it, though I have not wore it since I bought their carbon fiber half shell got the ear muffs/covers both are good choice.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:42 PM
Kevin R
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Qcktrufflesnuffler
Fly Racing 38 is supposed to be low profile, I was considering this but went with the Bell 500 when I was helmet shopping.
Got any pics of the Bell 500 on your head? I was thinking of trying that helmet.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:57 AM
Mabbott
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I am in the market for a good 3/4 helmet also and from what I've read, it's important to find a helmet that comes in as many shell sizes as possible. It's not a big issue if you have a large head, but a lot of the cheaper helmets are all one she'll size, so the small is the same size as the large but with different padding. The bell custom 500 comes in 5 different shell sizes which is a different shell for each size. That should make it fit better and help eliminate the basketball head. I'm going to a local shop to try on a custom 500 this week for that reason. RevZilla has a lot of good info and videos on their helmets and they also do free returns if it doesn't fit right.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:41 PM
MikeRC
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the comments on the Daytona. I wear ear plugs anyway so wind noise isn't a big deal to me.

Originally Posted by Mabbott
I am in the market for a good 3/4 helmet also and from what I've read, it's important to find a helmet that comes in as many shell sizes as possible. It's not a big issue if you have a large head, but a lot of the cheaper helmets are all one she'll size, so the small is the same size as the large but with different padding. The bell custom 500 comes in 5 different shell sizes which is a different shell for each size. That should make it fit better and help eliminate the basketball head. I'm going to a local shop to try on a custom 500 this week for that reason. RevZilla has a lot of good info and videos on their helmets and they also do free returns if it doesn't fit right.
Do you know if the newer Bell 500 helmet are anything like the old ones? I tried one on years ago and it felt big (bobblehead look) and seamed more fitted for someone with a more round head shape.

I also looked at Urban Helmets USA who have a good variety of color schemes. They look nice but I can't seam to find many reviews on them.

Maybe I'll get over to Revzilla sometime soon. They're only a 20 minute drive or less from where I live I just avoid going over the bridge. That's where I got my Shoei and the staff was very helpful. In the meantime I'll trying to find a Cycle Gear or Indy close by who carries the Daytona so I can see how it fits.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:34 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

Try your local metric dealers, they usually have a better selection than the MOCO does.. Harley has to stamp their name on it and mark it up..

Old 05-06-2019, 04:19 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

I own two Daytona 3/4's. I really like them. Fits round head better than oval. No 'shroom look.

Quick Reply: Any wearing a Daytona 3/4?