General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So mad I could scream.. (Shovelheads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 10:51 PM
confab
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Question So mad I could scream.. (Shovelheads)

I rode Japanese bikes for many years and recently sold mine, and I got bit by the Harley bug. I don't want to buy a Harley, I want to build a Harley. Which seems easy enough, right?

Well, it is.. Unless you want a shovel or a pan. And I do..

So, I begin with Craigslist.. That was a complete joke. The best response to date there was about an 83 FXR that looked like a great project. I asked about a title and the response was "LOL!!"

Undeterred, I turn to the local Harley Davidson dealers. One cycle shop in Batesville IN is close to me and tried to help, but they don't put shovels on the floor. (I guess they're too old and fiddly to sell to just anyone?) And they had some connections, but they were completed bikes.

Then I turned to the full bird Harley dealers in Cincy, only to be told that they see them all the time, but can't put them on the floor for sale. They all have to be auctioned. But they'll be happy to sell me a newer bike if I want. Which I think is silly, but.. Their rules..

Ebay has so far been a wash out.

Tell me, please.. If you wanted a project status or distressed, or even a basket case, shovel.. Where would be the best and most reliable place to look for one?

For lack of better options, I'm on to swap meets next..

Old 05-04-2019, 11:05 PM
Squidbilly*
Road Captain
Received 162 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by confab
I rode Japanese bikes for many years and recently sold mine, and I got bit by the Harley bug. I don't want to buy a Harley, I want to build a Harley. Which seems easy enough, right?

Well, it is.. Unless you want a shovel or a pan. And I do..

So, I begin with Craigslist.. That was a complete joke. The best response to date there was about an 83 FXR that looked like a great project. I asked about a title and the response was "LOL!!"

Undeterred, I turn to the local Harley Davidson dealers. One cycle shop in Batesville IN is close to me and tried to help, but they don't put shovels on the floor. (I guess they're too old and fiddly to sell to just anyone?) And they had some connections, but they were completed bikes.

Then I turned to the full bird Harley dealers in Cincy, only to be told that they see them all the time, but can't put them on the floor for sale. They all have to be auctioned. But they'll be happy to sell me a newer bike if I want. Which I think is silly, but.. Their rules..

Ebay has so far been a wash out.

Tell me, please.. If you wanted a project status or distressed, or even a basket case, shovel.. Where would be the best and most reliable place to look for one?

For lack of better options, I'm on to swap meets next..

Craigslist-----A few there no problem,

Last edited by Squidbilly*; 05-04-2019 at 11:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Don Michigan (05-05-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 11:12 PM
confab
Intermediate

I'm still trying..

Just no luck there.. No replies back. Bikes with, I assume, no titles. General weirdness. A few people I'm literally concerned about showing up with cash to meet.

It seems like a place criminals all gather to try and rip one another off.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:15 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 903 Posts

Your first post.
Well.You just started looking. You ain't from that I want it all and I want it now generation are ya?

lfmn16 (05-05-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 11:17 PM
confab
Intermediate

No, I'm a little older than that and this has been going on for a couple of months now.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:19 PM
confab
Intermediate

I was googling Harley Classifieds and it brought me here..

Seeing as how you are the experts, it seemed like a good place to ask.

nevada72 (05-05-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 11:30 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 903 Posts

I don't know about the experts thing. Panheads and Shovelheads do not grow on trees. You are going to have to beat the bushes and scour the country side to find those motorsickles. More shovels are left. Many went overseas in the 80's and 90's. Good luck in your search. Try swap meets. Good time of year for those.

Last edited by OLD 96; 05-04-2019 at 11:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-04-2019, 11:38 PM
confab
Intermediate

Thanks.. I was wondering about swap meets.

I know the meets for cars can be pretty amazing. I can't wait to see what the bike meets are like.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:03 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,491 Likes on 1,603 Posts

I think you may need to be a little more specific as to what year, model, and the amount of how much you're willing to spend.

There are bikes to be had but no one is likely to take less for their bike than what they think it is worth, and that's usually a huge obstacle to get around or over.

You may get a "basket case" fairly cheap but will have to spend a fortune to make it "rideable and roadworthy", whereas you can wait and search for a bike that has been well taken care or possibly has already been rebuilt and pay a premium price for it.

I know I'll probably take some heat for saying this but I owned two Shovels and I have two cousins that have them now but generally (not a rule) a stock Shovelhead will need some type of engine (as in upper end) work around the 30,000 mile mark.
My one cousin has an '81 or '82 Low Rider and he's had the upper end done once and the trans rebuilt twice and I know he's under 50,000 miles.

Shovelheads, like Pans and Knuckles have their own "sound" and they're neat to have as a cruiser or a hobby bike but they're not as reliable or as bullet-proof as an EVO and touring on one requires some mechanical knowledge, some tools, and some cash.

The following 2 users liked this post by 2AMGuy:
confab (05-05-2019), Don Michigan (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 02:43 AM
Don Michigan
Cruiser
Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts

I,also was going to suggest a nice Evo engine in a bike. They're good and cheap now,but next to go up in price. Great engine.

confab (05-05-2019)

Quick Reply: So mad I could scream.. (Shovelheads)