General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting from scratch with only a bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 09:56 PM
Dano_Canuck
Intermediate
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Starting from scratch with only a bike

This is rather broad but I’m trying to get a ball park for planning purposes. Let’s assume I just purchased a new or near new stock bike and I’m starting from scratch. No gear, no helmets, nuttin.

Helmets x 3. I like neotecs or something similar in quality. One full face (or modular) for two riders and maybe a cheapie 3/4 for casual city riding. $1500?

In helmet comms x 2. Prefer cardo but it just needs to work. $700?

Jackets x ?. Colder weather leather with armor, lighter for summer, etc. I’m not cheap but I don’t want to be stupid but 3-4 jackets for 2 riders. $1500?

Boots x 2. Want comfort and long lasting don’t want laces if I can avoid it. $800?

Leg leathers x 2 for touring. Something that protects just in case. Are jeans fine for city and short trips? How much would these be?

Rain gear x 2. I will be riding in the rain and don’t want to be soaked to the bone. What rain gear is best and how much for decent cycle gear?

Custom shocks, Ohlin, etc. Due to back issues mentioned in another thread I absolutely need the smoothest ride possible and read great things about rear Ohlins and something custom on the front. $800 installed?

After purchase mods? What’s the overall opinion on stage kits, muffler upgrades, Dyno tuning? I’m not looking to be some speed demon but I want to get out of trouble faster then a cager put me in trouble. I’ve kicked a few doors back in the day and know it’s the other guy that always got me a “close call”. Is it worth the upgrade for $2500?

Anything else you might add would be appreciated but trying to come up with a ballpark number of what I can expect to pay after purchase. Seems like nobody buys their bike and rides without something being upgraded, added on, etc.

That’s well over 7 grand after purchase with the stage kits. Does all this sound right if I did all of the above? Could I just drop the stage kit?

Thanks

Old 05-09-2019, 04:19 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano_Canuck
This is rather broad but I’m trying to get a ball park for planning purposes. Let’s assume I just purchased a new or near new stock bike and I’m starting from scratch. No gear, no helmets, nuttin.

Helmets x 3. I like neotecs or something similar in quality. One full face (or modular) for two riders and maybe a cheapie 3/4 for casual city riding. $1500?

In helmet comms x 2. Prefer cardo but it just needs to work. $700?

Jackets x ?. Colder weather leather with armor, lighter for summer, etc. I’m not cheap but I don’t want to be stupid but 3-4 jackets for 2 riders. $1500?

Boots x 2. Want comfort and long lasting don’t want laces if I can avoid it. $800?

Leg leathers x 2 for touring. Something that protects just in case. Are jeans fine for city and short trips? How much would these be?

Rain gear x 2. I will be riding in the rain and don’t want to be soaked to the bone. What rain gear is best and how much for decent cycle gear?

Custom shocks, Ohlin, etc. Due to back issues mentioned in another thread I absolutely need the smoothest ride possible and read great things about rear Ohlins and something custom on the front. $800 installed?

After purchase mods? What’s the overall opinion on stage kits, muffler upgrades, Dyno tuning? I’m not looking to be some speed demon but I want to get out of trouble faster then a cager put me in trouble. I’ve kicked a few doors back in the day and know it’s the other guy that always got me a “close call”. Is it worth the upgrade for $2500?

Anything else you might add would be appreciated but trying to come up with a ballpark number of what I can expect to pay after purchase. Seems like nobody buys their bike and rides without something being upgraded, added on, etc.

That’s well over 7 grand after purchase with the stage kits. Does all this sound right if I did all of the above? Could I just drop the stage kit?

Thanks
No, drop that other crap.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 04:44 AM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,308 Likes on 1,335 Posts

LOL, I would drop everything after the motorcycle gear.

You do not need to change out the shocks on newer models as they are much improved over the ones without the Showa setup. Plus until you have some good miles under you how will you know what adjustment it truly needs. A lot can be done with just the right choice in seats and good posture. Your justification for performance modifications is just crap, a little bit here or there is not going to make you any safer from a reckless cager or fellow biker. Most close calls are simply because people are not paying attention. If you want go fast stuff then just buy it, don't try to make an excuse for it.

Buy your gear for the current riding season and ride. Then make judgements on what the bike needs but only after talking to someone who has real experience in modifying motorcycles for better riding dynamics. Don't buy the off season riding gear until you know you are going to actually be riding then and never buy the performance modifications until you know you can ride

Old 05-09-2019, 04:59 AM
Josh2021
Tourer
Received 294 Likes on 176 Posts

Buy good quality gear it could save your skin or life. The mods can be done after you get a season under your belt and it's the off season; if you live where it get cold in the winter.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:52 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,124 Likes on 1,621 Posts

I think you are a little high, you don't need to buy everything at once, also there is multipurpose gear that can cover a wide range of temperatures. I have a tourmaster jacket and over pants that is mesh, has rain and thermal liners. Add in a polar fleece vest and heatwd grips and it's what i wear year round in the DC area, good from 25 degrees to 100 degrees.

I'd also skip all the engine mods until you've had the bike for a little bit. The 5% increase in power isn't going to save you in an accident.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:25 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,179 Likes on 5,607 Posts

Check out Cycle Gear for your gear. They have pretty decent stuff and they're not as expensive as other places. I bought a light weight mesh jacket with CE rated elbow and shoulder armor for less than $90. I also got a heavy leather coat for colder weather, armored elbow and shoulders with a zip out liner for just under $250. I have seen their helmet and gloves too and they are always priced considerably less than most other companies.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:32 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano_Canuck
I’ve kicked a few doors back in the day
so you've obviously ridden before. did you buy all this stuff back then?

I get the feeling that this isn't a serious question, more of a 'stir the pot' type thing.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:39 AM
slw210
Road Warrior

Received 901 Likes on 575 Posts

A doo rag and a couple of tattoos + the stage kit = $3000 US

All you need.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:57 AM
Grateful Fred
Intermediate
Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by slw210
A doo rag and a couple of tattoos + the stage kit = $3000 US

All you need.
Yeah, and sandals.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:16 AM
slw210
Road Warrior

Received 901 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by Grateful Fred
Yeah, and sandals.
Down here I can pick some up for free off the beach, not sure what those cost. I get my Costas the same way.

The following users liked this post:
Walter White (05-09-2019)

Quick Reply: Starting from scratch with only a bike