Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Questions about trading in with mods (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1283625-questions-about-trading-in-with-mods.html)

RebelScout671 05-12-2019 06:55 AM

Questions about trading in with mods

Hello guys/gals,
I tried searching but no avail.
Once I get back to Texas, I am going to trade in my 2015 Sportster with about 3K miles, for a Fatboy, Slim or Blackline. However, my bike has modifications like, tank lift, springer solo seat, biltwell grips and bullet lights, exhaust and such, though nothing is cut, welded, stretched or raked. My question for you is, with these modifications, does it lower the trade in value? I can put everything back to stock because I still have the parts. Oh and another question, do harley dealerships repair/replace parts after a trade in for selling or do they sell as is? I know about the KBB but would the mods deduct from that?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Dan D. 05-12-2019 07:06 AM

You'll get nothing for the mods... Better to turn it back to stock, and sell the parts here.

2goldens 05-12-2019 07:07 AM

I don't know if it would lower the trade in value but the general consensus is that it sure won't increase it. Better to put it back to stock if you're going to trade for sure and recoup what little you can by selling your add ons.
As far as the second question, I'm sure it varies dealer to dealer, but in general I'd say they at least send it to the shop to be looked over to make sure the bike isn't going to fail the next owner in the first 30 days of ownership.

Kawickrice 05-12-2019 07:15 AM

They go by what the book says regaurdless of the mods. Put it back stock and sell extra parts so you have some coin for new mods

KYRGultra 05-12-2019 07:21 AM

If you sell your Sporty privately you MAY find a buyer who likes the mods you added and may pay something for them. You could list the bike with mods for one price and also state you will take off the mods and sell the bike for somewhat less.

wizardfitz 05-12-2019 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Kawickrice (Post 18250455)
They go by what the book says regaurdless of the mods. Put it back stock and sell extra parts so you have some coin for new mods

Ditto, I’m trading in June and I’m removing all my addons and selling them.

indiandave 05-12-2019 07:25 AM

I agree. They won’t give you anything for add ones. People like to make their bike their own. I’m sure your bike is nice but the new owner is going to change it to make it the way they want it.

RebelScout671 05-12-2019 07:38 AM

Thank you for all the replies!

todd-67 05-12-2019 07:56 AM

I had the dealer ask for the stock exhaust when I traded my 2016 road king. I was buying an m8 and didn't need it. I didn't think it was worth it to sell the exhaust or I would have. Some dealers prefer them stock.

Sparky357 05-12-2019 08:38 AM

If I trade everything stock goes back on that's convenient to do ofcourse. Any money I can sell the stuff for is a plus.