General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why you should do your own work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 11:59 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,624 Likes on 1,530 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheesehead_13
I had a dealership install a Rockford Fosgate tkit in my brand new 2018 Anniversary Street Glide. Last night I decided to install different speaks. Guess what I found when I popped the hood?

Those MF who installed my system originally didn't tighten any of the pod screws, and left a screw out because they crossthreaded one of the fairing inserts! They screw is $3.50 to replace. They didn't even offer a free screw.

Now they are telling me there is no repair kit for those inserts, AND it is not warranty covered AND there is really nothing they can do.

Why do I say do your own? Here is the kicker. I worked at that very dealership when I purchased the bike from them and had the service department install because they are also on the RF installer list!

So, learn about your bike and do the work yourself. Get to know some local guys from this site. Wrench your own.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
Not sure if it's still available?

Old 05-12-2019, 12:00 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,249 Likes on 6,009 Posts

I grew up on a farm and my dad always worked on his stuff.... So I learned from a young age a number of different things, and worked on my own bikes....bicycles that is!! I always liked mechanical things. As I grew up I drifted into service stations and always wondered why people didn't to their own repairs or maintenance. This is "so easy and I love this" why don't other people do their own maintenance and repairs?! I really had a difficult time understanding this. Then I realized that some have no inclination, desire, knowledge, or skills to do mechanical things. Just as I don't have the skills to do computer programming. So working on cars and working in several dealerships, I learned a lot, did a lot, and can do a lot. So to me, the carry over to motor cycles was an easy move. I understand why some of you don't do this. I can live with this. I understand you may not have the tools, or equipment, or knowledge to do these things. But I also understand that professional mechanics (ie: factory trained, dealerships-regardless of make or model, or repair shops) owe you the satisfaction of a good job. I can honestly say that I never intentionally screwed a customer. I may have made some mistakes, but they were all corrected by me. And I had comebacks and did take care of those. If I screwed up, I fixed it. People who won't stand behind their work, give a bad name to the profession. Just as ******** on motorcycles give the rest of us a bad image.
Sorry to hear about your issues. I would think you could find a way to fix the insert....drill out and go one size larger. remove or drill out the insert and build up the mounting with some epoxy and install a new insert? just a couple of thoughts...

The following 2 users liked this post by Spartanden:
beanoboy (05-12-2019), Walter White (05-13-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 12:11 PM
gamble71
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 27,631 Likes on 9,198 Posts

Originally Posted by hdbob2006
You're the opposite from a lot of guys here.. I read so many posts by people that have never held a wrench,don't know the difference between a half and a 9/16,don't know a 25t and a 27t .They'd never think of changing a ball joint or a set of brakes on their car or truck,but somehow they're ready to tear into a motorcycle,without even having a service manual!

I'm 48... I've been under cars since I was around 16. The only reason I let someone work on my cars is if I don't have the time, or it's winter(need a heater in my garage) I'm sure learning the bike would be no big deal but I don't wanna waste time in the summer. Might throw a heater in this winter and fiddle with the bike while I start on my 65 Impala

:icon_edie:

The following users liked this post:
hdbob2006 (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 12:26 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

That one pod bolt is really hard to get out and in, so I know why that one didn't get put back. The others, no excuse.

Old 05-12-2019, 12:45 PM
Joe from So Cal
Tourer
Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

I have a couple of inexcusable service stories by the service dept. at Harley Davidson of Fullerton, now Los Angeles Harley Davidson, but I'll keep quiet for now.

No doubt there are many good mechanics working at dealer and indie shops. People that take their bikes to them are completely justified, of course.

I've always done my own work on my cars and the first thing I bought when I picked up my RG was a factory service manual. The only thing that will stop me from doing a procedure on my bike is a costly special tool I may not need very often.

Cheesehead_13 (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 01:07 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

For more than one reason. Mechanics at a lot of shops work flat rate so sometimes corner cutting is done just to get it out the door. I've worked in flat rate shops so I know how that goes. Another reason is why would I pay someone to do something I can do myself? Also if I'm doing something I'm not sure about the Internet is my best friend. Google searching will take you a long way. More often than not a Google search will lead me right to this website. Last but not least I ain't skeert

Cheesehead_13 (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 01:09 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 609 Posts

Do Harley techs get paid by Flat rate Book?

If so, there is an incentive to rush, do sloppy work and move on to the next ticket.

Campy Roadie (05-13-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 01:11 PM
Cheesehead_13
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by barneyboy
Not sure if it's still available?
Thanks, barneyboy, but not the same insert. This is one of the inserts that secures the soraker pid to the inner fairing. It sucks because thise speaker pods are structural.

Old 05-12-2019, 01:41 PM
Dynaglide92
Road Master
Received 188 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Faulkner
Not all of us have the time to wrench on our bikes. Thankfully my dealer has never given me a reason not to trust their work.

Never understood this. If you have time to ride, you have time to wrench. To each their own!

Old 05-12-2019, 01:43 PM
Dynaglide92
Road Master
Received 188 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Jehu
Do Harley techs get paid by Flat rate Book?

If so, there is an incentive to rush, do sloppy work and move on to the next ticket.
yea that’s how they get paid. John maxwell( YouTube Harley tech ) explains this in one of his videos

Quick Reply: Why you should do your own work.