General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why you should do your own work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 01:46 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

If you're competent at all with tools, you'll do things on your own bike shops don't. They don't clean the surface rust that's almost always under a spoke wheel rub strip - I found a 3/4" crack in the butt weld covered over by rust that easily brushed off. How much life was left in that rim... I always pop plastic seals off sealed bearings (won't use any with metal shields) to make sure they actually are greased adequately and with something that looks like grease, not vaseline (many have that clear stuff now). I always grease or anti-seize all metal contact points for axles, spacers and pivot bolts, some shops will do that, but not all. I do my own tire and tube changes, amazing how out of balance some shop installed tires are, and a bunch of weights all crammed end to end usually do not equal balance, just "close" and with that much weight will vibrate even a little off. I've pulled a few onces off and rebalanced with less than an once and got it right on. Torque - I believe in torque wrenches and have seen shop mechanics just do it tight, and you strip out the philips or allen trying to get them loose. Lots of reasons to do it yourself if you can, can't be too perfect when you only have two wheels on the ground.

The following 2 users liked this post by Imold:
Cheesehead_13 (05-12-2019), Sorce (05-15-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 01:49 PM
e6fmf
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RF kit

Originally Posted by harleyflyboy
What is an RF tkit?
Read post #1

Last edited by e6fmf; 05-12-2019 at 01:51 PM. Reason: delete
Old 05-12-2019, 02:01 PM
OCBadger
Cruiser

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Hey Joe from So Cal,
I purchased by Bike from the Fullerton Dealership - Do tell!

Old 05-12-2019, 02:02 PM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynaglide92
Never understood this. If you have time to ride, you have time to wrench. To each their own!
I wanna ride, not wrench. Dealer has my bike while i'm at work so it doesn't cut into my riding time. Understand now?

Old 05-12-2019, 02:12 PM
Zonktified
Tourer
Received 214 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Pride in work

Getting paid a flat rate is not an excuse to not take pride in your own work. If you dont care to do a good job in what ever you do, get out of the way , let someone who does and find something else to do. If a “professional” can’t do something better than I can...then they “aint” no professional!

The following users liked this post:
Cheesehead_13 (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 02:13 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,375 Likes on 2,928 Posts

IMO, possessing a mechanical ability is something a person born with, you can't teach it. So some have it, some don't. Alot of people know HOW to do something, and as long as everything goes smoothly they can complete the task, but at the first sign of trouble they become lost because they don't know WHY they're doing what they're doing. Actually having a mechanical ability, or just following steps are two different things.

I have always prided myself on being self sufficient on most things... except drywall, I SUCK at finishing drywall...

Last edited by firehawk6; 05-12-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:35 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Yeah, you're not a proper Old Skool guy unless you do your own "wrenching" on your infotainment system.

The following 3 users liked this post by 0maha:
Crazy (05-12-2019), mazz (05-13-2019), Steve Sportster (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 02:39 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawk6
IMO, possessing a mechanical ability is something a person born with, you can't teach it. So some have it, some don't. Alot of people know HOW to do something, and as long as everything goes smoothly they can complete the task, but at the first sign of trouble they become lost because they don't know WHY they're doing what they're doing. Actually having a mechanical ability, or just following steps are two different things.

I have always prided myself on being self sufficient on most things... except drywall, I SUCK at finishing drywall...
I know the feeling! I was a autobody man all my life.I thought taping drywall would be simple,after slinging a million gallons of bondo at cars-but nope,I can't do drywall.

Old 05-12-2019, 02:52 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,375 Likes on 2,928 Posts

Originally Posted by hdbob2006
I know the feeling! I was a autobody man all my life.I thought taping drywall would be simple,after slinging a million gallons of bondo at cars-but nope,I can't do drywall.
Years ago when my wife was pregnant, I put in a double window in the family room to brighten up the room for her. No problem shoring up the ceiling, removing the siding, cutting and framing in the opening and installing the window. Then came the drywall... not terrible, but not all that great either. At that time my wife said something to me that has stuck with me, "obtain a REASONABLE level of perfection". She was perfectly happy with it so I had to learn to be too. I get it honestly, my father was a perfectionist extraordinaire...

Old 05-12-2019, 02:56 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Your dealer is blowing smoke up your ***,they can Warranty all non wear items under your two year warranty. I would call HD and file a claim and get a claim filed. Lesson one is never have a dealer you used to work for do your service,it looks bad if you have a issue and need to attorney up. lesson two is if you worked on it and F---ed it up your wrench is fixing it or my attorney will be calling you. Also report them to the BBB they hate when that happens.

The following users liked this post:
Cheesehead_13 (05-12-2019)

Quick Reply: Why you should do your own work.