Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   WTF? Suddenly my bike is limited to 105 mph ! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1283989-wtf-suddenly-my-bike-is-limited-to-105-mph.html)

Bamaglider 05-14-2019 12:12 PM

I can be in fifth gear and it reduce power at 105 mph it will also do the exact same thing in six gear same speed and all

Bamaglider 05-14-2019 12:14 PM

Yes the Harley tech has already told me that the only way to get around the speed limit or now is to get a tuner that will override that

Bamaglider 05-14-2019 12:15 PM

And my bike is a twin can not a M8

Super Glidester 05-14-2019 12:22 PM

Im building a mini bike with a 7 HP Tecumseh....

BrandonSmith 05-14-2019 12:22 PM

I have a '17 street glide and at 115 ish the bike just doesn't go any faster: no limiter, no engine light, etc. It just can't go any faster. The HD dealer used the HD tuner for my stage 1 before I took delivery in 2017. Never had another flash or HD service since then, but by the sounds of it, if they did flash it, I'd be in the same boat as you.

RHPAW 05-14-2019 12:26 PM

Yeah, this is the part where somebody tells me to replace that old Evo because the new bikes are better.
Bwahahaha!

QNman 05-14-2019 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bamaglider (Post 18256061)
It’s not like it shuts the engine off like a rev limiter will It just throws a check engine light and reduces I guess the amount of fuel to the engine, once the bike drops back below 90 mph The check engine light will go off and I can accelerate

Just to emphasize what I'm talking about:

Originally Posted by Bamaglider (Post 18255980)
My bike is a 2017 Dyna Wide Glide, my bije has always been capable of running 110 115+ miles per hour I recently took my bike in to the local dealership for warranty work because it blew an intake gasket once I receive my bike back from the shop like most people do I would time I took it for a ride and see how it was running and everything only to learn that now my bike is limited to 105 mph when it reaches that speed The check engine light will come on and the bike loses power until it drops below 90 mph then the check engine light goes away and I have power again bike my bike is completely stock no tuners or anything, none of the local dealerships will give me an answer as to what happened all of them swear that all 2017 and newer bikes have a speed limiter from the factory But mine never has til now

What the speed limiter DOES do: cuts fuel to prevent you going faster than whatever the limited speed is.

What it DOESN'T do: Reduce power such that your vehicle slows by 15 MPH, OR turn on the CEL.

However, your description that it does this at 105 MPH regardless of gear is puzzling.... that DOES sound like a limiter.

danhahn 05-14-2019 12:48 PM

Sometimes I get the feeling we don't really own these newer bikes/cars any more.
We just get to pay for them and they do what they want with them when they get their hands on them.
Just brought my car in for an oil change and when I paid for it he informed me they updated some engine control module or something, without even asking if I wanted it.

Bamaglider 05-14-2019 12:52 PM

All I know is my bike will not run past 105 now when it used it would run 117 with no problem and the check engine light stays on until I drop below 90 I may have missspoken earlier it doesn’t really cut power as much as it won’t go any faster and I have to back out of it do you get the light to go off

Super Glidester 05-14-2019 12:57 PM

Allright, this thread isnt getting to 500 is it? cause thats how fast my Super Glide goes.....