Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   WTF? Suddenly my bike is limited to 105 mph ! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1283989-wtf-suddenly-my-bike-is-limited-to-105-mph.html)

Bamaglider 05-14-2019 11:37 AM

WTF? Suddenly my bike is limited to 105 mph !

My bike is a 2017 Dyna Wide Glide, my bije has always been capable of running 110 115+ miles per hour I recently took my bike in to the local dealership for warranty work because it blew an intake gasket once I receive my bike back from the shop like most people do I would time I took it for a ride and see how it was running and everything only to learn that now my bike is limited to 105 mph when it reaches that speed The check engine light will come on and the bike loses power until it drops below 90 mph then the check engine light goes away and I have power again bike my bike is completely stock no tuners or anything, none of the local dealerships will give me an answer as to what happened all of them swear that all 2017 and newer bikes have a speed limiter from the factory But mine never has til now

Goose_NC 05-14-2019 11:49 AM

I'm betting plugs need to he changed.

QNman 05-14-2019 11:53 AM

That's not how limiters work.... something is mechanically wrong. I'd take it back.

Walter White 05-14-2019 11:55 AM

I hope they have video of the tech "reproducing the issue".

Buster217 05-14-2019 12:02 PM

What does it do when you hit the rev limit in a lower gear?

todd-67 05-14-2019 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by QNman (Post 18256015)
That's not how limiters work.... something is mechanically wrong. I'd take it back.

Actually it kinda is with the M8. The way I understood it is that It's supposed to be a soft limiter with fuel and not a hard stop like the rev limiter that cuts the ignition. Maybe someone that knows more than I do can chime in about it.

Bamaglider 05-14-2019 12:07 PM

It has new plugs and a fresh oil change transmission fluid and primary fluid all new I have never hit the red limiter on my bike the Revlimid or a set at 5500 the most ribs I’ve ever put it through Is 4500 It doesn’t matter what year I am in the most it will do now is 105 mph I have called the dealership actually I have called two or three end it all tell me the same thing they’re all 2017 and newer bikes have a speed sensor in the transmission and the bike is programmed to cut power between 105 and 110 MPH but this is the first time I’ve ever had any search issues going above 105

Super Glidester 05-14-2019 12:09 PM

That bike is begging to be shot....

Bamaglider 05-14-2019 12:10 PM

It’s not like it shuts the engine off like a rev limiter will It just throws a check engine light and reduces I guess the amount of fuel to the engine, once the bike drops back below 90 mph The check engine light will go off and I can accelerate

strych9 05-14-2019 12:12 PM

I'm guessing that they updated the ECM software and you're now hitting the speed limiter as dictated by the new calibration. Admittedly, I have no idea how the limiter behaves when triggered, as mine was tuned early eliminating the limiter.

Bamaglider 05-14-2019 12:12 PM

I can be in fifth gear and it reduce power at 105 mph it will also do the exact same thing in six gear same speed and all

Bamaglider 05-14-2019 12:14 PM

Yes the Harley tech has already told me that the only way to get around the speed limit or now is to get a tuner that will override that

Bamaglider 05-14-2019 12:15 PM

And my bike is a twin can not a M8

Super Glidester 05-14-2019 12:22 PM

Im building a mini bike with a 7 HP Tecumseh....

BrandonSmith 05-14-2019 12:22 PM

I have a '17 street glide and at 115 ish the bike just doesn't go any faster: no limiter, no engine light, etc. It just can't go any faster. The HD dealer used the HD tuner for my stage 1 before I took delivery in 2017. Never had another flash or HD service since then, but by the sounds of it, if they did flash it, I'd be in the same boat as you.

RHPAW 05-14-2019 12:26 PM

Yeah, this is the part where somebody tells me to replace that old Evo because the new bikes are better.
Bwahahaha!

QNman 05-14-2019 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bamaglider (Post 18256061)
It’s not like it shuts the engine off like a rev limiter will It just throws a check engine light and reduces I guess the amount of fuel to the engine, once the bike drops back below 90 mph The check engine light will go off and I can accelerate

Just to emphasize what I'm talking about:

Originally Posted by Bamaglider (Post 18255980)
My bike is a 2017 Dyna Wide Glide, my bije has always been capable of running 110 115+ miles per hour I recently took my bike in to the local dealership for warranty work because it blew an intake gasket once I receive my bike back from the shop like most people do I would time I took it for a ride and see how it was running and everything only to learn that now my bike is limited to 105 mph when it reaches that speed The check engine light will come on and the bike loses power until it drops below 90 mph then the check engine light goes away and I have power again bike my bike is completely stock no tuners or anything, none of the local dealerships will give me an answer as to what happened all of them swear that all 2017 and newer bikes have a speed limiter from the factory But mine never has til now

What the speed limiter DOES do: cuts fuel to prevent you going faster than whatever the limited speed is.

What it DOESN'T do: Reduce power such that your vehicle slows by 15 MPH, OR turn on the CEL.

However, your description that it does this at 105 MPH regardless of gear is puzzling.... that DOES sound like a limiter.

danhahn 05-14-2019 12:48 PM

Sometimes I get the feeling we don't really own these newer bikes/cars any more.
We just get to pay for them and they do what they want with them when they get their hands on them.
Just brought my car in for an oil change and when I paid for it he informed me they updated some engine control module or something, without even asking if I wanted it.

Bamaglider 05-14-2019 12:52 PM

All I know is my bike will not run past 105 now when it used it would run 117 with no problem and the check engine light stays on until I drop below 90 I may have missspoken earlier it doesn’t really cut power as much as it won’t go any faster and I have to back out of it do you get the light to go off

Super Glidester 05-14-2019 12:57 PM

Allright, this thread isnt getting to 500 is it? cause thats how fast my Super Glide goes.....

Neggy ZRXOA 5248 05-14-2019 01:07 PM

When my bike hits the limiter at 105, I just upshift from second into third gear.....

ooops this isn't the Kawasaki forum

In the "old days" we used to use a 5/8 gear reduction to fool the speed sensors on Buick GN's and GNX's to get around the 126mph limiter.

The reducer would trick the car into thinking it was going 55 when it was going 88, and the speedometer would be accurate if you used the KPH scale.

I know on rice bikes a black box is used to get around the limiters

QNman 05-14-2019 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bamaglider (Post 18256175)
All I know is my bike will not run past 105 now when it used it would run 117 with no problem and the check engine light stays on until I drop below 90 I may have missspoken earlier it doesn’t really cut power as much as it won’t go any faster and I have to back out of it do you get the light to go off

Well no limiter I've seen - including the limiter that used to be on my 2016 twinkie - has kicked the CEL on. If you have access to a reader, perhaps check for stored codes to see if one is recorded.

wyndnface 05-14-2019 01:16 PM

Wow, tops out at 105.. That a serious problem.

:icon_lolsign:

RHPAW 05-14-2019 01:26 PM

I'm just picturing the conversation when you take it back.
"Yes sir, how can we help you today?"
"I need some warranty work."
"...and what seems to be the problem?"
"Damn bike will only do 105."
(Snicker)

Bamaglider 05-14-2019 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by QNman (Post 18256231)
Well no limiter I've seen - including the limiter that used to be on my 2016 twinkie - has kicked the CEL on. If you have access to a reader, perhaps check for stored codes to see if one is recorded.

This is why I think it’s a new software update and they don’t want to admit it my bike has been over 115 mile an hour before now it’s limited to 105 and they told me to check engine light is supposed to come on

Hey Man 05-14-2019 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bamaglider (Post 18256078)
Yes the Harley tech has already told me that the only way to get around the speed limit or now is to get a tuner that will override that

Aaaah, so what they did was "upgrade" your bike to require that you buy something to make it run like it used to. Hmmmm. First a chip in your bike, next a chip in your brain. Confusion will be our epitaph.

QNman 05-14-2019 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bamaglider (Post 18256294)
This is why I think it’s a new software update and they don’t want to admit it my bike has been over 115 mile an hour before now it’s limited to 105 and they told me to check engine light is supposed to come on

Well, I guess if they told you the CEL is supposed to come on, I suppose it is... but that's not the case on my '16.

Buy an FP3. It's relatively cheap, and you can disable that sumbitch. It'll also help your bike run better/cooler.

Bamaglider 05-14-2019 01:49 PM

Actually the FP3 will not from what I’ve been told and have researched

QNman 05-14-2019 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bamaglider (Post 18256331)
Actually the FP3 will not from what I’ve been told and have researched

Oops.

I have a Power Vision. I know it will unlock it, but it ain't cheap.

Bamaglider 05-14-2019 01:57 PM

My ol lady keeps telling me I’m pissed for no reason that I shouldn’t be going that fast anyway. She just don’t understand

kickstartfan 05-14-2019 01:58 PM

was this your first warranty work?
sounds like you received a software update with the warranty work.
your vin is entered, checked for validity, and who knows what else happens all controlled by the
company and not the dealer. techs and even service manager may be honest, just ignorant and lazy.

Your bike may run like this as long as the warranty is in effect. Somehow it slipped by or was altered.

I hope not, please keep us updated.

Bamaglider 05-14-2019 02:05 PM

Actually this was the second time I’ve had to take it in and I have warranty repairs done the first time did not affect the way it ran this time however I took it in because it wasn’t wanting to idle correctly so I take it to the shop turns out an intake gasket had blown before I took it to the shop it would run 115 easy now 105 TopSpeed

jlb2782 05-14-2019 02:25 PM

If I got my bike up to 105 and it started to bark back at me, I'd consider it an omen. Haha!!

Tom84FXST 05-14-2019 02:31 PM

I could have swore there was some government regulation, that the speed on newer vehicles... had to be limited to what ever the speed rating was on the tires it was sold with...

Pretty simple to do with any EFI vehicle...at some point soon your speed will be limited by a signal on the road, to whatever the speed limit is...enjoy it while you can...

QNman 05-14-2019 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST (Post 18256431)
I could have swore there was some government regulation, that the speed on newer vehicles... had to be limited to what ever the speed rating was on the tires it was sold with...

Pretty simple to do with any EFI vehicle...at some point soon your speed will be limited by a signal on the road, to whatever the speed limit is...enjoy it while you can...

Pretty soon, it won't matter. Pretty soon, people will hop into their electric mobile office and tell the computer where they are heading, then jump on the internet and begin doing... whatever they want while they wait for the new gleaming alloy air-car to arrive at their intended destination.

I strip away the old debris, that hides a shining car
A brilliant red Barchetta, from a better, vanished time
Fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar!
Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime..

roussfam 05-14-2019 02:50 PM

Loosen off your intake bolts to mimic a blown intake gasket and see what it does. :icon_couchhide:

Trench 05-14-2019 03:11 PM

everybody has to take a drink for every "my bike" in this thread

Cogswell 05-14-2019 03:13 PM

So when your motorcycle will accelerate to but not exceed 105 mph, are you doing this testing on a closed course or on a public road ?

Don Michigan 05-14-2019 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cogswell (Post 18256516)
So when your motorcycle will accelerate to but not exceed 105 mph, are you doing this testing on a closed course or on a public road ?

Eureka!! You have to set your bike to "closed course" setting. It must be in one of the handlebar switch settings.

kickstartfan 05-14-2019 03:49 PM

has this been happening for hundreds of miles? I am thinking just a tank of bad gas.
look in the air cleaner for some obstruction. loose anything, hey I am about of worthless ideas.