Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Riding in rain. Where do you draw the line? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1284465-riding-in-rain-where-do-you-draw-the-line.html)

James Gibson 05-17-2019 02:05 PM

Riding in rain. Where do you draw the line?

I am still in my first year of riding so I have a lot to learn. I have ridden in the rain a few times. The longest for about 45 mins before it stopped. The word I am getting from coworkers, friends, and family (some who ride) is that I am absolutely out of my mind for riding in the rain. So far it doesn't seem to be a huge deal to me. I mean, much like I do in my truck, I increase following distance, I am more cautious in turns, avoid puddles. I don't feel like I am about to die the way they make it sound. Am I missing something?

nobodyknowsme 05-17-2019 02:09 PM

I don't promote or endorse much of anything Harley riding gear but their High Viz riding gear is worth the money. Last weekend I had an appointment to get my bike worked on at a dealership 45 miles away. There was a downpour both ways and I got home bone dry. You already stated the obvious cautionary measures so just be safe and double cautious.

Greezey Rider 05-17-2019 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by James Gibson (Post 18263670)
I am still in my first year of riding so I have a lot to learn. I have ridden in the rain a few times. The longest for about 45 mins before it stopped. The word I am getting from coworkers, friends, and family (some who ride) is that I am absolutely out of my mind for riding in the rain. So far it doesn't seem to be a huge deal to me. I mean, much like I do in my truck, I increase following distance, I am more cautious in turns, avoid puddles. I don't feel like I am about to die the way they make it sound. Am I missing something?

A lot of people are scared to ride in the rain and will make it sound like you're gonna die if you do it...Kind'a like the lane splitter nazis.
I have ridden thousands of miles in rain without incident and have ridden thousands of miles in snow as well.
It takes a different skill set and a different mind set to run in bad weather like that.

James Gibson 05-17-2019 02:16 PM

Thanks! I'll look into it.
I ordered one of the cheap frog tog suits but haven't tried it yet.

RET_SCPO 05-17-2019 02:16 PM

If you're an actual rider then riding in the rain is part of riding. Get some good rain gear and go for it. I stop when visibility becomes so bad that I can't safely navigate. If it's a squall I generally get off the road until it stops or at least slows down a little bit. If you plan a trip always be prepared to ride in the rain.

rantin'ravin 05-17-2019 02:18 PM

This is probly my favorite topic. Some say the ride aint bad its the clean up afterwords. Anything exposed hurts like hail.
Ive adopted the montra "i dont let out in a rain no more, however ive been caught in a few"
Here in the midwest you might get caught in a cloud burst. Carry the proper gear

Rogue1 05-17-2019 02:20 PM

Get some good rain gear and slow down. Unless it's a hurricane you're going to be fine. Stay more aware than usual. If you're going to ride you're going to ride in the rain sometime.

J_MOSH 05-17-2019 02:22 PM

I'm all about backing it down a bit in the rain. Little slower, mode distance, just a bit more gentle with the input on brakes and gas threw corners. I don't like riding in the rain but if you ride out and the weather turns what can you do but just carry on. But..... If its coming down bad enough to just hurt. I think most guys know what I mean. I'll get off the road for a bit and hope it passes. But for the most part there's no staying dry if its rained recently, spray from the cars in front of you, the residual moisture in the air, I'm gonna get wet so screw it carry on.

assiniboine 05-17-2019 02:26 PM

Depends on the road and the viz.

Something to keep in mind is that although u might slow for weather conditions or sense of self-preservation, following traffic won't! They will maintain their speed and drive right over u!

kojak 05-17-2019 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider (Post 18263687)
A lot of people are scared to ride in the rain and will make it sound like you're gonna die if you do it...Kind'a like the lane splitter nazis.
I have ridden thousands of miles in rain without incident and have ridden thousands of miles in snow as well.
It takes a different skill set and a different mind set to run in bad weather like that.

Ridden in torrential rain and heavy snow. Gotta know what you’re doing. Only thing I won’t ride in is ice!