General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohio minister wants to keep motorcyclists safer by keeping grass off of roads

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 07:48 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,727 Likes on 6,186 Posts

If I inadvertently get any out there, I always make at least one pass to blow it back off the road, but I think I'm the only one who does.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:48 AM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,224 Likes on 706 Posts

Far too many blow their clippings onto the roads around my neck of the woods! I couldn't say whether or not it was illegal, though I would like to think it is. Whenever I mow my lawn, the mower mulches it back where it came from. Contrary to popular belief, mulching does not cause thatch and helps in the reduction of fertilizer use. Mulching means the grass clippings are cut even smaller and they disintegrate relatively quickly releasing any nutrients they had back into the ground.

Many rural home owners tend to leave the lawn by the road grow to the point it can't be mulched which is kind if stupid. It doesn't take that much longer to mow by the road and it makes the property appear to be well kept. (curb appeal) If someone were to drive by my place right after I finished mowing the lawn, you'd find little to no lawn clippings on the road, and if there were any, they would be less than a foot onto the road.

As with many things, you can't fix stupid. If you see clippings in the road, definitely avoid them if at all possible. Otherwise ride over them like it was a sheet of glare ice!

Last edited by Bonnie Storm; 05-19-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:55 AM
Don Michigan
Cruiser
Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartanden
I read somewhere couple years ago two motorcyclists were riding in the country and homeowner mowing blew all grass clippings onto the roadway. They went down and one died. He was sued and the cyclists won that case. It is illegal in Michigan (from what I understand..... read warnings from a governmental agency advising this) about blowing debris on the roads. I see people blowing grass and leaves on to the roads....the seem to flow downhill and clog the drains. Then they complain about flooded streets. So stupid....they won't listen to reason. People are idiots.....
Michigan doesn't want or need the nitrogen and nutrients from grass clippings to get into the lakes. Creates more algae. I guess motorcyclists benefit as a side piece.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:06 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,423 Likes on 906 Posts

Grass clippings and leaves in the fall! Pisses me of to no end. Then there is the **** bite drunks throwing there beer bottles out there windows. Didn’t mean to switch the subject but ran into broken glass at the end of my street this morning. After I got back from the dog walk, jumped in my truck with shovel & broom. I would have drove right threw it. Take a Right at the stop sign and it would be right there waiting for me!! Bind all of them together!

Old 05-19-2019, 08:39 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,046 Likes on 11,064 Posts

I'd rather see the minster keep texting drivers off the road.
BTW, my mower has a bag for lawn clippings.

Last edited by upflying; 05-19-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:05 PM
moparnut72
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I think leaf blowers should be outlawed anyway. All the users do is blow their stuff onto everyone else's property mainly the public's. I guess they work good for drying bikes after washing. I wouldn't know I don't own one, blower that is.
kk

Old 05-19-2019, 12:07 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Almost everyone I know is a rider or associated with motorcycles in some form or fashion. Many of them make it a point to throw trash in yards where home owners decide to blow grass clippings in the road.
The problem is how can you tell? People are such slobs. It amazes me how crap they throw out. If you have to litter, why not wait until past a persons yard? Not that I am advocating littering. But why right in their yard when plenty of vacant land.?

Old 05-19-2019, 12:10 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

I don't bag or mulch, I just point in when near the road. Not rocket surgery.

The following users liked this post:
Long lonesome highwayman (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 12:47 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
The problem is how can you tell? People are such slobs. It amazes me how crap they throw out. If you have to litter, why not wait until past a persons yard? Not that I am advocating littering. But why right in their yard when plenty of vacant land.?
Because there's grass on the road in front of their house/property? That was a trick question; right?

I didn't say I advocated it, I said I know people who do it.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 05-19-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:25 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,809 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Originally Posted by moparnut72
I think leaf blowers should be outlawed anyway. All the users do is blow their stuff onto everyone else's property mainly the public's. I guess they work good for drying bikes after washing. I wouldn't know I don't own one, blower that is.
kk
I wouldn't go as far as that. There's a small section of grass around the mail box where I can't cut without making the exhaust side facing the street. I use the leaf blower afterwards to blow the grass off the road. The rest of the edge areas I can cut with the grass exhaust side facing the grass side so it doesn't blow out onto the road.
I got the leaf blower for $5 at a yard sale. I've never thought about drying the mc after washing with it, sounds like it might be a good idea I guess. Rather than derail the thread I'll do a search for it or ask in a different thread.

Quick Reply: Ohio minister wants to keep motorcyclists safer by keeping grass off of roads