General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohio minister wants to keep motorcyclists safer by keeping grass off of roads

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 01:32 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Illegal here in Wisconsin.

Old 05-19-2019, 01:37 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Because there's grass on the road in front of their house/property? That was a trick question; right?

I didn't say I advocated it, I said I know people who do it.
My post talked about all the trash people throw in yards. So my point, was how can you tell, if anyone threw anything in the guys yard?

Old 05-19-2019, 01:40 PM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,305 Likes on 8,535 Posts

My neighbors don’t blow their grass into my yard or street.
Their Mexican gardener does it for them.

Old 05-19-2019, 01:48 PM
Zerk
Banned

Mean mug him wearing your Trump hat. Though I suspect in CA, you could do that every hour on the hour, and not run out of gardners.

The following users liked this post:
71on72 (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 01:54 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,604 Likes on 5,172 Posts

His energy would be better spent keeping those that smoke grass off the road

71on72 (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 03:23 PM
BluesStringer
Road Master

Received 690 Likes on 367 Posts

Guess I'm "fortunate." I couldn't blow grass or leaves on a neighbor's property if I wanted to, or out in the (dirt) road for that matter. A line of trees is the boundary between the road and my property. The trees grow within the easement. The shade from those trees make it so my front lawn rarely even needs mowing. There's short grass there, but it doesn't grow to mowing height because it sees very little sun during the day. I do run the mower over it to blow the leaves into the easement, but I also go out on the road and blow the leaves towards my home into the easement too. The easement holds all of it without sending anything all the way across it because of the underbrush. The same conditions exist on the two properties that border either side of mine, only one of which is occupied, and the other of which is 40+ acres of undeveloped, nearly virgin forested land. Sure as heck ain't no street-sweepers out here, so three of the inhabited five families that live on this road just take care of it as-needed. For instance, Hurricane Michael knocked down six to eight trees that blocked either part or all of the road. The three households (including me and my OL) put all our chainsaws to work and cleared the road days before we ever saw a County truck out here to survey damage.

Sometimes when I see grass in the road I think to myself, "Self, I wonder if that stuff is as slippery as looks like it might be?" Myself tells me in those instances, "Self, might want to move to the left side of the lane just to be safe." And that's what I do. I've never found a single blade of grass while cleaning my scoot after a ride where I saw some clippings in the road. Problem solved for me, and even if it wasn't solved to my satisfaction, I would never, ever call the cops to use the force of government on some old farmer or his wife who have been mowing their lawn the same way for 70 or 80 years to tell them to "Get your lawn off my road!"

I'm damn near a hermit out here. Moved out in the stix so I didn't have to deal with traffic and cops and other people I don't like being around on a regular basis. But apparently, I'm more able to pull over, introduce myself to either a neighbor or someone from a neighboring county, and gently talk to them about the problem I have with their clippings in the road. Of course, that's only after moving to the left side of the lane failed and I actually had a scare of some sort caused by the clippings, which I don't think is likely to happen at all. But some people want laws and more government controlling every aspect of their/our daily lives. Screw dat. If more government is the answer, you're asking the wrong question(s).

Blues

Old 05-19-2019, 03:44 PM
Zerk
Banned

Originally Posted by BluesStringer
G. But some people want laws and more government controlling every aspect of their/our daily lives. Screw dat. If more government is the answer, you're asking the wrong question(s).

Blues
Good point.

Also good point, I am not sure it is as big deal as we make it. But I still don't do it.

Old 05-19-2019, 04:32 PM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,126 Likes on 1,531 Posts

It's bad here too. I think that everyone that has a yard joining and road around here blows their grass on the road, cept me. I wish someone could talk some sense into them. I did talk to one last year and told him how all that grass out in the road made his nice groomed yard look like crap.

Long lonesome highwayman (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 04:42 PM
Indawynd
Elite HDF Member
Received 7,291 Likes on 2,749 Posts

Happy he is trying to help.

It is already illegal here in Ohio.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:03 PM
Tonebender
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,341 Likes on 3,310 Posts

I hate asshats that blow grass out onto the road.

Also the leaf blower needs to be outlawed.

Quick Reply: Ohio minister wants to keep motorcyclists safer by keeping grass off of roads