General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beware of ESP (Extended Service Plan)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 06:47 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

I bought one and plan on leaving the trike stock.I have total confidence HD has built a long term piece of **** . This is my last HD due to retirement. I'm pretty sure in seven years a lot will go wrong with the quality out sourcing off parts they do. Now if you're gonna just bar hop and not travel you will lose . I negotiated my ESP purchase price so in the long run maybe it will work out. I have wasted more on loud pipes and tuners.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:54 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,225 Likes on 1,409 Posts

This video shows the actual HD ESP and discusses it in detail:

Old 05-22-2019, 07:13 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
Straight from my ESP:
This is due to a doctrine of law known as Privity of Contract."
There was litigation against the Contender Boat Company whereby it was asserted by Contender that there was not warranty with Contender but only with the selling dealership due to privity with the dealership and lack of privity with the manufacturer.

Also, in most states, selling "insurance" requires a license and regulation by the state's insurance department or equivalent.

Notice that while specifically disclaiming from being an insurance policy they are also careful not to call it a "warranty" either lest it be regulated by the Magnesum-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.) of 1975.

So, yes, the ESP you quote does most likely say what you posted but, there is an old legal truism that goes something like this:
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck - it's a duck.

Your quote from the contract document has specific legal connotations, my post, addressed to a lay audience, described, in basic terms, risk arbitrage or "insurance."

Whether called insurance or some other form of contract the paradigm is identical for the risk avoider (contract holder) and risk taker (contract provider) in that there is risk shifting in exchange for money.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:22 AM
rparnel1
Tourer
Received 150 Likes on 59 Posts

I got the ESP when I bought my 2015 Ultra Limited. There had been so many problems and recalls with the Rushmore motors and platform that I felt the extra expense was justified. I did end up using it a few times for a bad coolant pump and twice for leaking speedo and tach guages.
$50 deductible for each of those services.

I would say that normally, it is a money loser for the consumer and a money winner for the dealer

Old 05-22-2019, 08:44 AM
wizardfitz
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rparnel1
I got the ESP when I bought my 2015 Ultra Limited. There had been so many problems and recalls with the Rushmore motors and platform that I felt the extra expense was justified. I did end up using it a few times for a bad coolant pump and twice for leaking speedo and tach guages.
$50 deductible for each of those services.

I would say that normally, it is a money loser for the consumer and a money winner for the dealer
That is normally true and was true for Harley as well. That's not the case with the product they have recently put out. I never bought esps before but have recently and I'm glad I did. I'm getting a 19 in June and with all tbe issues I've read about on this site, yes all with problems on here are probably a small number in the general population, but I'm still getting it
If I have 1 claim it will have paid for itself

Old 05-22-2019, 09:12 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

So why buy the bike in the first place if you have such little faith in them?

The following 2 users liked this post by Brewmany:
BgDadddy (06-03-2019), Tommy C (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 10:18 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,186 Likes on 2,454 Posts

because it's still better than the alternatives?

The following users liked this post:
tbob (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 06:04 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 609 Posts

I'm within a couple of weeks of doubling down on the M8 engine platform. I have an '18 Road Glide and have on order (awaiting shipment) a '19 Low Rider (in the much faster Barracuda Silver) so call me crazy bit as little faith as I have in the M8 as well The MoCo doing the right thing for customers ... what's a Harley guy supposed to do? I'm not quite ready to jump ship to Indian or a custom build with say S&S power.

Here's my plan at mitigating the lack of faith and trust: I'm keeping these 107s bone stock for two years; if either of them become a problem child - it's gone! But if it warrants keeping, I'll mod as desired.

The bigger risk, other than break down on a road trip - which would basically ruin a vacation (such as my planned ride to Sturgis in late July) is a value hit to the M8 fleet if they become flops and changed to another platform designed by Porshe, Honda, Suzuki or ???? If that turned out to be the case then the M8 era bike will suffer a substantial value hit ... along with HOG's stock price.

The sumping seems more pronounced on:
1. The internet (I won't ride on the internet ... promise!)
2. 114s; hence my preference for the powerful enough for me and less expensive 107s.
3. Stage 3 and Stage 4 mods. I going to run Stage Nothing until I have no warranty to save, then probably just Stage 1 or so.

I'm hoping my 107s survive what we call the infant mortality period in aviation and go on to provide trouble free service - we shall see.

The following users liked this post:
cacomly (06-11-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 10:55 AM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,830 Likes on 1,443 Posts

Just got back this morning from my local Dealer, (Performance HD). I got bit by the dreaded water pump failure on my '16 FLHTK. My ESP from First Extended came through for me. An $800+ bill cost me my $50 deductible. It was purchased from Boardtracker, through Jim Palmer.

There were a few hiccups involving not having a water pump, some miscommunication, but overall my dealer came through and spent most of 45-minutes on the phone working with First Extended. And this was the dealer's first time working with First Extended. And some of it was meshing the claim & the ESP's payment with the dealer's accounting dept.

I hope this intel alleviates some anxiety on those with this same policy.

Last edited by Oko; 05-23-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:07 PM
wizardfitz
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmany
So why buy the bike in the first place if you have such little faith in them?
Good question. Probably because I gave up Honda in 1999. It's a crab shoot. Hopefully I'll luck out, if not I'll have peace of mind

Quick Reply: Beware of ESP (Extended Service Plan)